The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Advice needed on Symphony i/o Multi-Channel Preamps
Old 28th December 2010
Lives for gear
Advice needed on Symphony i/o

I'm using my studio here at home for vocals, mixing and overdubs. I know the battle rages about the importance of ADDA conversion - and after selling my Rosetta 200 and using a Digi003 for a year I really haven't noticed a HUGE difference in the DA. Where I have noticed a difference in depth of field is when I occasionally build tracks from the bottom up.

So - my question is if it would be a smart choice to sell my pres, Digi003 and go with a Symphony i/o with the mic pres? I would assume the mic pres on this thing are uncolored and clean - which I really like. Anyone have any experience or opinions?
Old 29th December 2010
Lives for gear

One thing to consider that most people don't realize about the Symphony mic pre option, is that it has to use the line ins from another card installed. It's a bizzare design. You are limited to 8 inputs on your Symphony if you use it this way. Plus the cost of having both cards installed.

So you're looking at 8 mic pre's for $4000 (the price of both cards). I can think of other options that would be cost effective and as good or better, quality-wise. Such as the Focusrite ISA 428 or 828, or the new Universal Audio 4-710d.

So if you get the Symphony, you might consider other preamp options.
Old 29th December 2010
I'm considering the Symphony too, but at the moment it isn't viable.

The preamps are a bit of an unknown quantity - only Apogee self promotion at this stage. They aren't that cheap, and you could buy some reputable high end preamps instead. What do you have already?

So you don't record drums or bands? Do you need 8 channels? You could buy some really boutique two channel A/D and D/A ...
Old 29th December 2010
Lives for gear
If you're just doing vocals that's a pretty pricey converter with more channels than you need. If just doing vocals I would of stuck with the rosetta 200 and picked up a great river. I'm using this setup over my 002 I had for years and it's a huge difference. Maybe a 2 channel Mytek if you don't like the rosetta? The mytek seems to be very clean.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search