The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Guitar/Bass RF Interference Near Fusebox Special Ef­fects Plugins
Old 28th December 2010
Here for the gear

Guitar/Bass RF Interference Near Fusebox

Hey guys,

This isn't a new problem per say...I've always had this problem with guitars and basses buzzing in my basement, however as I invest more and more in my home studio, the more of a priority fixing this problem has become. Guitars have become less of an issue after installing humbuckers and shielding the electronics cavity, however bass guitars have posed to be an even bigger challenge.

I've attached a clip of the noise I get when trying to record bass. The noise goes away as I move around, so I'm certain it's RF interference coming from an external source. As I move around I can find a very small null point where the signal/noise ratio is somewhat acceptable (as you'll hear in the sample).

To try and determine the culprit, I've gone so far as to plug a guitar into a battery powered amp, and flip breakers. Shutting down all the power gets rid of a lot of the interference, but no breaker in particular was the main culprit, they all seemed to add noise both cumulatively and evenly.

I've noticed that the interference is almost non existent, when I am on the top floor towards the back of the house. The fuse panel itself is located in the basement towards the front of the house, so perhaps that explains why the noise is worst in that location, and best when I am furthest away from it.

If I hold the guitar right up to the panel, I can hear that the intensity of the audible noise increases drastically. However that still seems to be the case when the power is shut off, which baffles me.

I'm wondering if putting a filter on the main power line would make any difference, in addition to actually shielding the fusebox?

Anyone got any ideas?
Attached Files

interference.mp3 (2.28 MB, 131 views)

Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search