The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Hooking up 2 internal drives
Old 28th December 2010
Lives for gear

Hooking up 2 internal drives

I have 2 Wester Digital Caviar Black SATA 3 drives. I want to use 1 for my operating system/programs and the other for the data. I currently have the one installed and currently has everything on it. What is the easiest way to hook up the 2nd drive? Do I need to do anything besides installing it and moving files around? I also have another 4GB of RAM on top of the 4GB that is currently in there, but that is another story. Any help/tips would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Jeff
Old 28th December 2010
Lives for gear

anyone?
Old 28th December 2010
Gear Guru

I might have answered but you didn't even say if it's Mac or PC. On a PC you can copy files from one drive to another easily. I'm sure the same applies to Macs. With two physical drives you can partition them to minimize fragmentation, then back up stuff from one to the other and vice versa.

--Ethan
Old 28th December 2010
Lives for gear

sorry for the lack of information...I'm using a PC. I guess I was wondering more of the technical aspect of installing a 2nd hard drive. Is it just hook it up to the other drive and it's ready to go or what?
Old 29th December 2010
Gear Guru

On a PC you connect each drive independently to the motherboard. Then you probably slide the new drive into a drive caddy and it just clicks in place. However the first drive mounts, it should be the same for the second drive. I assume your PC has cables inside for at least two drives, and possibly connectors for even more drives though you might have to buy the extra SATA cables. You might have to go to Control Panel .. Administrative Tools .. Computer Management .. Storage .. Disk Management to enable the new drive.

--Ethan
Old 29th December 2010
Lives for gear

Thank you. I am going to install my extra 4GB of RAM as well. It is a different brand than my other 4GB of RAM. Is that going to matter? I know you're 'suppose' to put in matched pairs. Will it hurt the computer? I don't want to have to buy all new 8GB of RAM.
Old 29th December 2010
Gear Guru

I have no idea about your RAM question (not enough info), but you should ask whomever you bought the computer from anyway.

--Ethan
Old 29th December 2010
Make sure that the size of the RAM as well as the frequency and timings match.
Aside from that, they should be 100% fine. It won't harm the motherboard if there are any issues. The worst that will happen is crashing.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search