The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
console prices: what happend?
Old 3rd January 2011
Lives for gear

When I was real young I had a chance to get a vintage 1969 Jaguar XKE all original from a family friend, just need some TLC...two years and many tears later had to unload it ASAP, pure nightmare for me.

But the good news is now with technology in 2011, I can type in Ebay and look at dozens of vintage fully restored XKE's every week. I am just a click away from bliss.

Point being is really relax and enjoy the technology matrix....all our clients and target markets care about is end product. Some studios do need even a shell of a console to feel good.

To summarize, IF you can afford an vintage large format analog console go for it...insane deals out there.

But after a listening session with the UAD A800 and Slate VCC combination I am 95% analogally (new word I just created) satisfied with ITB.
Old 3rd January 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.HOLMES View Post
Large-formate-console-lover would not save you to stay in business.
It depends, I am my own client, right now I have a Duality and just bought 2 SSL's 4000G+'s. I did that because I can, the demand is enough to justify the investment and I like the sound of the G+.
Obviously I have an "In house" tech and my business is not based on renting the studio, I mainly produce and write, that is why I'm my own client. Renting my place would be a suicide in these times, at least in my country.

I'm expanding my business by adding mixing rooms to fill the demand and also I'm supporting new producers.

I kind of agree and disagree with some posts here, because its inevitable to accept that this old technology is on the way out and that in order to survive some studios have to take the "Digital road", but at the same time, the "commercial" studios that could survive, will be more appealing to clients if they have this kind of gear, because everybody and their aunt will have a DAW with plug ins.

I'm not against ITB, I really admire people who nailed and are mixing great stuff all ITB, in my case, its easier to get the sound I have in my head on a console (Mostly Drums and Vocals), I mean, I can do it ITB but always with the help of some "Analog" devices, so in the end its not 100% ITB.

Best regards.

delcosmos.
Old 3rd January 2011

Yup. Same here.
Old 4th January 2011
same here. but I need to be fast as lightning and I can't be fast as a lightning mixing on a console.

but me like: all faders up ==> sound

heh

Quote:
Originally Posted by delcosmos View Post
It depends, I am my own client, right now I have a Duality and just bought 2 SSL's 4000G+'s. I did that because I can, the demand is enough to justify the investment and I like the sound of the G+.
Obviously I have an "In house" tech and my business is not based on renting the studio, I mainly produce and write, that is why I'm my own client. Renting my place would be a suicide in these times, at least in my country.

I'm expanding my business by adding mixing rooms to fill the demand and also I'm supporting new producers.

I kind of agree and disagree with some posts here, because its inevitable to accept that this old technology is on the way out and that in order to survive some studios have to take the "Digital road", but at the same time, the "commercial" studios that could survive, will be more appealing to clients if they have this kind of gear, because everybody and their aunt will have a DAW with plug ins.

I'm not against ITB, I really admire people who nailed and are mixing great stuff all ITB, in my case, its easier to get the sound I have in my head on a console (Mostly Drums and Vocals), I mean, I can do it ITB but always with the help of some "Analog" devices, so in the end its not 100% ITB.

Best regards.

delcosmos.
Old 10th January 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Necola View Post
same here. but I need to be fast as lightning and I can't be fast as a lightning mixing on a console.

but me like: all faders up ==> sound

heh
Your the exception to the rule. Most would be faster on a board due to the ergonomics of workflow.
Old 10th January 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by kats View Post
Your the exception to the rule. Most would be faster on a board due to the ergonomics of workflow.
I am very ergnomic ITB when mixing death metal. that's like cleaning a house with a vacuum cleaner on speed.

track presets, use always the same channel-counts, routing and stuff all setup, just load in the tracks, load the channel presets, clean the individual channels, start mixing with groups, automation on groups.. full album: 1.5-3 days, full recall.

cheers
G
Old 10th January 2011
Lives for gear

I think most people who have mixed ITB for a few years are actually faster ITB than on a conventional console.
Old 10th January 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by George Necola View Post
I am very ergnomic ITB when mixing death metal. that's like cleaning a house with a vacuum cleaner on speed.

track presets, use always the same channel-counts, routing and stuff all setup, just load in the tracks, load the channel presets, clean the individual channels, start mixing with groups, automation on groups.. full album: 1.5-3 days, full recall.

cheers
G

You mix one album in 1,5-3 days ?!?!

I am sure you are not rendering masters in real time then.

What are you doing for the rest of the month with all that money?
Old 11th January 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Shepperd View Post
I think most people who have mixed ITB for a few years are actually faster ITB than on a conventional console.
We'll have to have a race
Old 11th January 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by doubledecker View Post
You mix one album in 1,5-3 days ?!?!

I am sure you are not rendering masters in real time then.

What are you doing for the rest of the month with all that money?
what do you think why we are all so bloody rich in Switzerland?

I need enough time to spend all that money on cars, women and rock n roll.

no not really. heh

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search