The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Individual tracks with the same reverb?
Old 28th December 2010
Gear Maniac

Individual tracks with the same reverb?

I have vocal, guitar and synth using the same reverb and settings.
Is there any difference or is it bad practice:
- Bounce each track with their reverb and mix them.
- Bounce the reverb of all the tracks into a stereo track
- Bounce each individual reverb of each individual track and mix them together
I have always wondered whether these methods jeopardize my sound quality when I am trying to free up tracks.

Is it bad practice to use different reverbs in a mix or should you keep it to a minimum?
Old 28th December 2010
Lives for gear
Is the reverb an insert? Or have you got it set up on an Aux Bus?

Using different verbs can give interesting dimension to the mix, different delays as well as verbs as well, but i would always recommend setting them up on a separate aux and use the send function to send to this...
Old 28th December 2010
Like nelson said, you should learn how to use sends/returns instead of inserts. You won't have to bounce anything.
Old 28th December 2010
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bender412 View Post
Like nelson said, you should learn how to use sends/returns instead of inserts. You won't have to bounce anything.
I am using sends and returns but my track count is not that great so I have to bounce tracks.

So I may have several tracks that have the same reverb unit printed on them.

Basically my question is this:
If you have two different tracks going to the same reverb, is this the same as two individual tracks going to two different aux tracks of two reverbs that are the same?
- track 1 and 2 aux send goes to reverb A
- track 1 aux send going to reverb A and track 2 going to reverb B. Both reverb A and reverb B are the same reverb model and settings.

A friend told me its not the same, because a reverb acts different when two different signals are fed into it, than when a signal is fed one at a time to it and then mixing the result into a stereo track.

Just wanted to know what the pros and cons are when doing it this way, whether sound quality is jeopardized, etc.
Old 28th December 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by puppee View Post
...If you have two different tracks going to the same reverb, is this the same as two individual tracks going to two different aux tracks of two reverbs that are the same?...
Yes, it's the same.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search