The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
So what's the "Song Of The Decade"?
Old 28th December 2010
Lives for gear

Let's assume there is one song that 'defines' a decade, sets a standard, stands out as a classic and is universally liked and prized even if it's far from your favourite genre. A song you can play at a party and it always works.

For the 80s I'd argue this would be Michael Jackson's "Billie Jean", for the 90s Dre's and 2Pac's "California Love".

But for the 00's? What do you think?
Old 28th December 2010
Lives for gear

Usher - Yeah
Old 28th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by djanthonyw View Post
Usher - Yeah
I hate that song. :-)
Old 28th December 2010
Lives for gear

Not a huge fan of it myself, but I think it fits thread's criteria and is for the most part universally liked by the general population of sheeple. I still get requests for it at my top 40 gig.
Old 28th December 2010
Lives for gear

I don't like these songs, but they do work:

-Get This Party Started - Pink
-Hey Ya - Outkast (well I do love this one)
-Take Me Out or Do You Want To - Franz Ferdinand
Old 28th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by satellitedog View Post
I don't like these songs, but they do work:

-Get This Party Started - Pink
-Hey Ya - Outkast (well I do love this one)
-Take Me Out or Do You Want To - Franz Ferdinand
All not bad songs, but not really on the same level as "Billie Jean" and "California Love" IMO.
Old 28th December 2010
Lives for gear

Looked through a few lists availible online, and couldn't locate anything that really stands out. And I don't even know a lot of the songs mentioned there. :-)
Old 28th December 2010
Lives for gear

Looking at the most successful in terms of sales it should be Usher or Nickelback, and strangely enough that sums up this decade pretty well (or rather 'badly', really)...
Old 28th December 2010
Arcade Fire - 'Wake Up' or 'Rebellion (Lies)'
Old 28th December 2010
Gear Guru

"Song Of The Decade"? which Decade ? Hopefully not this one.
Old 28th December 2010
Easy...

Grand Archives - "Torn blue foam couch" http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=07iaUuvwwAo
Old 28th December 2010
Lives for gear

Other candidate: Lady Gaga - Just Dance
Old 28th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllAboutTone View Post
"Song Of The Decade"? which Decade ? Hopefully not this one.
Even though we've entered a new decade this year I'm guessing living sounds means 2000-2009.
Old 28th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Even though we've entered a new decade this year I'm guessing living sounds means 2000-2009.
Yes.
Old 28th December 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by living sounds View Post
All not bad songs, but not really on the same level as "Billie Jean" and "California Love" IMO.
That's assuming you like pop and "light" hip-hop...not a massive fan of either track. Equally defining for the 80s was big-hair rock/metal for example...can't we just leave the "best songs" style lists to the Q-magazine/NME blinkered-ness? it's meaningless. Best "pop" song of the 80s, best "hip-hop" of the 90s, fine if you must.
Old 28th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by psycho_monkey View Post
That's assuming you like pop and "light" hip-hop...not a massive fan of either track. Equally defining for the 80s was big-hair rock/metal for example...can't we just leave the "best songs" style lists to the Q-magazine/NME blinkered-ness? it's meaningless. Best "pop" song of the 80s, best "hip-hop" of the 90s, fine if you must.
I think these two songs work very well arranged in other styles as well, because they are such great songs.
Old 28th December 2010
Lives for gear
Drops of jupiter - train!...now...if only they can come up with another song thats half as good...
Old 28th December 2010
Lives for gear
Quote:
Looking at the most successful in terms of sales it should be Usher or Nickelback, and strangely enough that sums up this decade pretty well (or rather 'badly', really)...
haha....don't forget britney spears...
Old 28th December 2010
Quote:
I think these two songs work very well arranged in other styles as well, because they are such great songs.
Can take or leave either of them, to be honest. Don't think either is the best example of that artist's work, nor the "best" song of either decade...but that's because it's down to taste - I wouldn't disagree that they're not good songs.

I just find this kind of "let's find the "best" song" discussion kind of pointless.
Old 28th December 2010
Lives for gear

I posted my votes for party music based on the starter by living sounds.

If quality was the only measure, I'd be in trouble as my taste goes in a different direction and 'cause '00s music is about the most diverse you could sample through, of any decade in recorded music... If sales alone factor in, statistics would be the answer by all.
Heavy rotation and big marketing budgets helped uniformization of major label pop music to a point where I don't remember any artist or any hit being better than any other. Songwriting quality can't really be judged objectively I guess, so this is gonna be a tricky one. One thing I'm sure of, is that the best written mainstream song is probably outside of modern rock... :-)
Old 28th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by psycho_monkey View Post
Can take or leave either of them, to be honest. Don't think either is the best example of that artist's work, nor the "best" song of either decade...but that's because it's down to taste - I wouldn't disagree that they're not good songs.

I just find this kind of "let's find the "best" song" discussion kind of pointless.
Yes, but what's your "best song" then? When it comes down to it I always have a really hard time to find anything that I consider perfect or even great all of the time. But I'm always looking out for it...
Old 28th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by djanthonyw
We haven't. The present decade goes 2001-2010.

I'd say something by the BEP, like "Let's get it started in here". Sad, really. Background music for a party is exactly what they do, and that probably defines the decade pretty well.

Someone mentioned Nickelback, and that might get a vote from me as well. Doesn't matter which song, they're all the same.
Old 28th December 2010
Lives for gear

Old 28th December 2010
Gear Guru

Quote:
Ok, then I am going for something with real talent, Diana Krall "Rio" or Chris Botti w Boston Pops. I will take both.

This question use to be easy back between the 70-90s.
Old 28th December 2010
Gear Maniac

i'd say outcast - hey ya or gnarls barkley - crazy
Old 28th December 2010
Gear Nut

Hate to be a party pooper, but this decade has just begun. 2000-2009 is a decade just like 1960-1969 was a decade...

personally I'll have to say Daft Punk "One More Time"

Numbers wise I gotta say Usher "Yeah"
Old 28th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by KrisMiller View Post
Hate to be a party pooper, but this decade has just begun. 2000-2009 is a decade just like 1960-1969 was a decade...

personally I'll have to say Daft Punk "One More Time"

Numbers wise I gotta say Usher "Yeah"
Wasn't this settled 11 years ago?
Old 28th December 2010
Lives for gear

well i don't know about song of the decade but as the song that DEFINES the decade

Radiohead – Idioteque
Old 28th December 2010
Gear Maniac

Lady Gaga - Poker Face/Just Dance
Coldplay - Clocks
Justin Timberlake - Sexy Back

In Australia anyways..
Old 28th December 2010
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sigma View Post
well i don't know about song of the decade but as the song that DEFINES the decade

Radiohead – Idioteque
heh

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search