The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Monitor Comparison based on HS80m Studio Monitors
Old 28th December 2010
Lives for gear

Monitor Comparison based on HS80m

I used to own Vxt 6. I hated making music with them, but going back now, my music had more depth as far as reverb goes, and just subtle details in the back ground.

I now own an HS 80, I love it's aggressiveness in the midrange. I like the speakers. I also like the idea. But i also realize now why it was the price i paid for...Still... very competitive pricing

I want something just like the HS80 with it's midrange, but I need more depth so i could create niiice space in the background... like i had in the VXT 6. I also want to be able to get brighter mixes as well comfortably. The HS80 is uncomfortable when boosting highs. I don't know if that's the case but when im done with a track, I compare it with something else, and the other material is a little brighter. I know everyone here says VXTs were harsh on the bright side, but I was able to get bright mixes on them. Obviously I will be spending more money, but that's okay... but nothing too outlandish...

NS 10s? BM15, Adam or... I really don't want to mess with scooped mids again... if that's what the VXTs had

Thanks for your help, I am excited to hear your rants! haha
Old 28th December 2010
Gear Addict

Have you messed with the dipswitches on the HS80s? My HS50s had very harsh highs, and I was coming out with pretty dull mixes so I dipped the high end on the monitors and translation is a lot better now.
Old 28th December 2010
Lives for gear

First day I listened, that was the first thing I did, still no luck
Old 29th December 2010
DAH
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by KennaOkoye View Post
First day I listened, that was the first thing I did, still no luck
tried +2 dB mid switch?
Old 29th December 2010
Lives for gear

I hated my 50's at first, but I killed the signal at 80hz, and love them now. I reference low end on headphone and a full range monitor set.

Kill the low end on the 80's and add a sub. You'll get more power up top that way.
Old 2nd January 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAH View Post
tried +2 dB mid switch?
Yup, but I don't wanna do anything to my 80s. i just want to add different speakers! or get another one...
Old 2nd January 2011
Gear Maniac

I've been in the same boat as you, going back and forth and what not...
It seems that the majority of HS80M users trim the High by -2. All the other switches on the back of them end up making the monitor sound like "dog d1ck" and do more harm than good, in my experience.
I took it a tad further, because they were still a bit to "fake" shimmery in the very top-end and I put a single ply piece of toilet paper over the tweeter. Things like cymbals and dirty guitars are far easier to dial in now. The HS80M lacks in the bottom end translation, not much, but enough to kind of mess with you.

So, that said!
Maybe adding a sub to check the low-end is a cheaper alternative. I'd stay away from the KRK's. I've owned the latest VXT II 8" monitors, work on other sets and they sound strange to me. They pretty much make big.dirty guitars disappear and of course if you mix on them you have to account for that. It seems to be a trait through the whole VXT line, except for the VXT II 4"er's.

If you are wanting to go with another near-field monitor, go with a set of NS10's, simply for how much they've been used and abused through the ages.... there's obviously a reason for that!

Other than that, maybe a nice midfield speaker like the BM15A would serve you right!

If I started from scratch, I'd probably go with a set of NS10s and a pair of Dynaudio BM15As. That pretty much gives you the broadest/easiest range to work with.
That said, I use my HS80Ms daily and with great success!

I guess I gave you more to think about, but hopefully some perspective.
Old 4th January 2011
Lives for gear

Heyyy Thaaanks alot for your input. I should have stated everything I've tried. yes, I have dipped -2 on the the high, I haaave a sub, my low end id niiice, i don't have to worry about that. I don't need Mid fields because of my room, but I only have access to a HAFLER amp, and I hear it's rubbish for NS10s...

I do have an option of picking up BM5a's today for a greaaat price at a GC near me.... What do you guys think??? thanks
Old 13th January 2011
DAH
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by imdrecordings View Post
The HS80M lacks in the bottom end translation, not much, but enough to kind of mess with you.
I bet it`s room acoustics and\or placement.
Old 13th January 2011
Gear Addict

I would have kept the VXT6 and would have added the NS10s. It's the combo I use and I really like it. Start the mix on the KRK and move on to the NS10 once you are setting detailed levels - double check on KRKs - all good. I think the VXT6 is an EXCELLENT speaker - especially for the price. I run them with a sealed Tannoy Sub which has a really tight low end.
Old 14th January 2011
Lives for gear

I just wasnt feeling the KRKs...

Somethin about them... hmm idunno...
Old 20th May 2011
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAH View Post
I bet it`s room acoustics and\or placement.
I bet it too
Old 26th May 2011
DAH
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilk View Post
I bet it too
In my rather small room at most locations I can hear clearly what's going down in in 40 the hz region and hear if there is anything in 30 hz - if there is anything - i can hear it.
To whoever tries and owns these speakers - the quite common consensus is - mid eq+2 (otherwise a litle hollow, confirmed by measurements), highs-2
Àêòèâíûå ñòóäèéíûå ìîíèòîðû áëèæíåãî ïîëÿ Yamaha HS80M

http://www.ixbt.com/proaudio/yamaha/80m/fr.png = zeroed out - see that 1-2k dip?

http://www.ixbt.com/proaudio/yamaha/80m/fr-mideq.png -
+2 on the mids eliminates the dip but turns up the highs too.

http://www.ixbt.com/proaudio/yamaha/80m/fr-hightrim.png - -2 on the highs will make the highs inline with the rest, the only thing is that some 1-1,5kHz is peaking (not unlike NS10 - just mid-forward sounding - BTW with a good amp NS10 sound great - just no info below 100 - 80 Hz)

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search