The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Monitor Controllers with NS-10m and Powered Monitors Studio Monitors
Old 28th December 2010
Gear Addict

Monitor Controllers with NS-10m and Powered Monitors

Hi Slutz,
Sorry for the noob question, but I'm geting a pair of powered monitors to go along with my Ns-10s (finally something with a little low end!) and therefore will need to get a monitor controller. Right now I go from a BLA modded Motu 2408mk3 to my Adcom amp to the NS10s. How does this work with a monitor controller? Where does it plug in to the chain, before the Adcom amp or after?Any recommendations? Is the Big Knob good for this?

Thanks for your help !

Old 28th December 2010
Lives for gear

So you basically need a monitor controller that features 2 stereo outputs.

You connect the first pair of outputs to the inputs on the amplifier that drives your NS10's. You connect the second set of outputs directly to the powered monitors. There should be a switch on the monitor controller for flicking between the outputs.

Your interface connects to the inputs of the monitor controller.

Definitely don't put the monitor controller after the amp, unless you want a smoke show!

Big knob would certainly do the job, but in my humble opinion it doesn't sound that crash hot. There are more transparent controllers available.
Old 28th December 2010
Here for the gear

before the adcom
Old 28th December 2010
Gear Addict

Cool, thanks for the help, that makes sense. So what's better sounding than the Big Knob that won't cost more than a few Ben Franklins?

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search