The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Should i upgrade my power amp?
Old 28th December 2010
Gear Addict

Should i upgrade my power amp?

I have a pair of ns10m that are powered by an alesis ra-100 amp.Would buying a better amp make a big difference to my sound quality?I am a little confused when it comes to amps because alot of people have told me thats a good enough amp for those speakers.Would a upgrade help my setup?
Old 28th December 2010
Gear Addict

anyone?
Old 29th December 2010
Old 29th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gearhero View Post
+10

I was too chicken to post that

The key here is operating within the range and specs of the amplifier. Remember, the NS-10 were designed as inexpensive consumer bookshelf speakers and not very good ones at that.

The load they provide to the amplifier is not esoteric but a standard run of the mill load AFAIK.

Considering the above, and assuming you are not monitoring at very loud levels, and for your ear's sake you shouldn't be, I doubt you will hear a difference in sound quality by upgrading your amplifier.

There are far better things to spend your money on.

I use a Samson Servo amplifier for my secondary monitors, my NS-10 "class", which are KrK KRoKs and just as an experiment I tried my Bryston 4b from my audiophile system for a couple of days.

I heard zero difference other than the fact it could play louder.

That's just me though and understand there are entire threads in GS and other boards comparing NS-10 vs various amplifiers.
Some people claim they hear big differences, I don't but at the same time who am I to disagree with them?
Maybe they really do.

If you were talking about some B&W, or KeF or difficult to drive electrostatic speakers I would tell advise spending substantially more on an amplifier because you probably *will* hear a difference on some music with a speaker of that level.

For NS-10?

I vote leave it alone and spend your money on something more worthwhile. Later on when you make your first gold record you can get that Bryston, Adcom, Krell or whatever.

Others will disagree.

I have my flame suit on!
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search