The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Will a mixer be just as good? Audio Interfaces
Old 28th December 2010
Gear Head

Will a mixer be just as good?

Okay, so I have about $145, and I'd like to be able to record at least 4 xlr ins at once. Now, I'm more used to using an interface where I'd be putting the channels into reaper as seperate tracks, but in time would I be able to get just as good sound using a mixer and having the tracks mixed by the time they reach my DAW, or is it a huge disadvantage to not be able to edit the single tracks once in the DAW?
Old 28th December 2010
Lives for gear

There are arguments for both schools of thought I suppose, and it will entirely depend on what you're recording (live drums? whole bands?), and what other equipment. I for one am an advocate of sub mixing some sources on the way in. I've built myself some little line mixers into a rack specifically for this purpose. I, for example, always mix bass DI and the microphone on the amp together and record to one track. Similarly, if I've used multiple mics on a guitar amp, I mix them down to a single track, or sometimes stereo.

I'm in the fortunate position of having enough outboard gear that I can apply compression/EQ as I see fit to each individual source before they get mixed together. It takes a little longer to get the sounds, but I think this forced early commitment is good for the sounds and makes you work a bit harder during tracking. If anything, I think I get much better sounds sub-mixing stuff and processing on the way in, because I take the time to position microphones properly and make the right selection, rather than thinking 'I can change that a bit in the mix because I've got all the tracks seperate'.

All that said... you don't really want your guitars mixed with your drums or vocals in any circumstance, so think about that before you make any decision.

I think you should consider getting a 4-8 channel interface, AS WELL as a 4-8 channel mixer, so you can mix stuff together when appropriate, as well as track stuff seperately if neccesary.

Keep up teh rock 'n' roll.

NF.
Old 28th December 2010
Gear Nut

for around 100$ you can get a behringer Pro-8 digital. For the price, the preamp is great. People around here dont usually like behringer because they are cheap. But this pre amp is actually quite decent. What you can then do, is get a converter that has lightpipe inputs like a motu 828 mk1 for cheap maybe another 100$. . Then in you DAW you can record up to 8 seperate tracks with seperate mic inputs at once via ADAT.

Or, for 400$ you could get something like a presonus 8 channel preamp/interface

Or, perhaps you have a sound card with a lightpipe input.
Old 28th December 2010
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by NF Audio View Post
There are arguments for both schools of thought I suppose, and it will entirely depend on what you're recording (live drums? whole bands?), and what other equipment. I for one am an advocate of sub mixing some sources on the way in. I've built myself some little line mixers into a rack specifically for this purpose. I, for example, always mix bass DI and the microphone on the amp together and record to one track. Similarly, if I've used multiple mics on a guitar amp, I mix them down to a single track, or sometimes stereo.

I'm in the fortunate position of having enough outboard gear that I can apply compression/EQ as I see fit to each individual source before they get mixed together. It takes a little longer to get the sounds, but I think this forced early commitment is good for the sounds and makes you work a bit harder during tracking. If anything, I think I get much better sounds sub-mixing stuff and processing on the way in, because I take the time to position microphones properly and make the right selection, rather than thinking 'I can change that a bit in the mix because I've got all the tracks seperate'.

All that said... you don't really want your guitars mixed with your drums or vocals in any circumstance, so think about that before you make any decision.

I think you should consider getting a 4-8 channel interface, AS WELL as a 4-8 channel mixer, so you can mix stuff together when appropriate, as well as track stuff seperately if neccesary.

Keep up teh rock 'n' roll.

NF.

Hey thanks for the reply, The only things I'll be recording all at once will be drums, where I'll be using two overheads, a snare, and a kick. Everything else I will be recording with just one mic. I would like to get both a mixer and a interface, but for now money is a issue. So would it be worth it to wait and get a interface? Or would it alright to get a mixer, and over time build up some outboard gear?
Thanks,
Charlie
Old 28th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlieculbert View Post
Hey thanks for the reply, The only things I'll be recording all at once will be drums, where I'll be using two overheads, a snare, and a kick. Everything else I will be recording with just one mic. I would like to get both a mixer and a interface, but for now money is a issue. So would it be worth it to wait and get a interface? Or would it alright to get a mixer, and over time build up some outboard gear?
Thanks,
Charlie
If money is tight I'd be going for a 4-8 channel interface first. You're going to need an interface regardless, just to get the audio from the mixer to the DAW. You can always add a mixer down the track.
Old 28th December 2010
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by NF Audio View Post
If money is tight I'd be going for a 4-8 channel interface first. You're going to need an interface regardless, just to get the audio from the mixer to the DAW. You can always add a mixer down the track.
A usb mixer would not be worth it then? itd be better to save up and try to get an interface? in that case is there a interface matching my interests that I could get used under $200??

Edit: Also just thought I'd mention that I already have a 2 channel Tascam us-122 interface
Old 28th December 2010
Gear Head

bumpedy bump (:

TO rephrase my question, for recording drums with 2 overheads, a kick, and a snare mics, will having seperate tracks in my DAW be worth the wait/extra money to get a interface? Or if i got a mixer now, would I be able to use the mixer, run it through my tascam us-122 interface, then into reaper, and get a good sound? Also, if i got a mixer, I would over time build up outboard gear, which to my understanding is better than editing tracks after they're recorded
Old 28th December 2010
Lives for gear

i would just wait and get an interface. it's always better to be able to fix what doesn't sound good. If everything is already mixed and you want to add something to the snare or kick or whatever you have to apply the effect to the entire kit. sure you could make some kick ass recordings through a mixer without the DAW mix down, but it might drive you insane at times is all.
Old 28th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by CodyD View Post
for around 100$ you can get a behringer Pro-8 digital. For the price, the preamp is great. People around here dont usually like behringer because they are cheap. But this pre amp is actually quite decent. What you can then do, is get a converter that has lightpipe inputs like a motu 828 mk1 for cheap maybe another 100$. . Then in you DAW you can record up to 8 seperate tracks with seperate mic inputs at once via ADAT.
The Pro-8 mic inputs are shockingly bad. I defend this unit a lot, but for it's A->D section (which is good, very good), but the pre-amps suck big balls. Also, they do not cost $100.

Also, you don't need a converter with a lightpipe input. The only converters with lightpipe inputs are D->A converters which would not be good. You need an interface with lightpipe inputs, such as, yes, an 828mkI or a myriad of other interfaces. I would refrain from MOTU MkI products being honest, their customer support isn't great and MkI products are now over a decade old, so if it goes, it's fair to say it's gone.

With a budget of $145, the prospect of getting 2 units not fit for purpose, is simply a silly one. Alesis do a nice, desktop interface with 4 mic inputs on top for about $200 which would do the job a million times better and have a warranty on it.
Old 28th December 2010
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by projektk View Post
i would just wait and get an interface. it's always better to be able to fix what doesn't sound good. If everything is already mixed and you want to add something to the snare or kick or whatever you have to apply the effect to the entire kit. sure you could make some kick ass recordings through a mixer without the DAW mix down, but it might drive you insane at times is all.

Alright, I definitely appreciate the reply, and that definitely makes sense to me that I don't want to always be stuck with exactly what was recorded. However, I'm trying to keep an open mind, and I wanna explore all my possibilities before I make a decision. All I'm really looking to do for now at least is make drum covers on youtube, and record demos of my band. So would it make THAT much of a difference just for my purposes? Or should I get something like the BEHRINGER EURORACK UB2222FX ( Which I could get for $100 used ) for now, and then add on a 8 channel interface later?
Old 28th December 2010
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by therealbigd View Post
With a budget of $145, the prospect of getting 2 units not fit for purpose, is simply a silly one. Alesis do a nice, desktop interface with 4 mic inputs on top for about $200 which would do the job a million times better and have a warranty on it.
Are you talking about the Multimix 8?

If I was to purchase one, I think I'd try to find it used. And also, I'm running vista, and from what I've heard the firewire multimix 8 with vista is pretty sketchy. I don't know if that's what you're talking about, or if I'm misinformed for that matter.
Old 28th December 2010
Lives for gear

No, the multimix is a rubbish Alesis mixer with a pretty rubbish interface attached.

This is the IO-something or other. It's just an interface, no mixer.
Old 28th December 2010
Gear Nut

Quote:
The Pro-8 mic inputs are shockingly bad. I defend this unit a lot, but for it's A->D section (which is good, very good), but the pre-amps suck big balls. Also, they do not cost $100.

Also, you don't need a converter with a lightpipe input. The only converters with lightpipe inputs are D->A converters which would not be good. You need an interface with lightpipe inputs, such as, yes, an 828mkI or a myriad of other interfaces. I would refrain from MOTU MkI products being honest, their customer support isn't great and MkI products are now over a decade old, so if it goes, it's fair to say it's gone.

I agree, one unit that does it all, maybe more expensive, but would be a better option.

And I said around 100 dollars, I have seen a few for sale on ebay and whatnot for 130$, that is definitely around 100 dollars.

Also the pre amps do not suck balls. They arn't Never 1073s, but here is a good example of how they stand up against others...

BIG Preamp Shootout: API, Great River, Grace 501, GAP Pre 73, FMR RNP, Art, Behringer

Please read all the comments, and listen.

They arn't amazing, but they are quite decent as I have said, and just because it is behringer doesnt mean it sucks balls. So its great for a budget.
Old 28th December 2010
Gear Head

Quote:
No, the multimix is a rubbish Alesis mixer with a pretty rubbish interface attached.

This is the IO-something or other. It's just an interface, no mixer.
Oh okay, so would I want to look for something like that used?
Old 28th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlieculbert View Post
Oh okay, so would I want to look for something like that used?
iO|14
Old 28th December 2010
Gear Head

Quote:

Also, I'm relatively new to recording, and this has been my first experience with gearslutz, and everyone was really nice and helpful, I'll definitely be coming back often. Haha.
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search