The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
KRKs on sale... should I? Studio Monitors
Old 28th December 2010
Gear Head

KRKs on sale... should I?

I need my first set of monitors and everyone has said monitors are the main thing I should splurge for. These are on sale and the specs are slightly better than the Rockit 5s, which I've heard very good things about. Should I do it? They're RIGHT in my price-range, The Yamaha HS 50s are kiiinda pushin the budget. What do we think?

KRK Rockit 6
Old 28th December 2010
KRKs on sale... should I?

I had KRKs as my first pair of monitors (and sub) and had no complaints about them.

Whatever set of monitors you end up getting, take plenty of time to "learn" them. Set them up accurately and listen to some mixes you know well. Of course, you could have the most amazing pair of monitors known to man but if your room sucks it wouldn't matter. Might be good to set aside a budget to treat your room if it needs it.
Old 28th December 2010
Gear Head

Well I'm about to move out, the place I'm looking at has really wacky angles and high ceilings in one room. I'm definitely planning on putting up some false walls, but that's for a few other paychecks in the future. I just wana be able to listen to my mix with or without headphones! I'm diggin these KRKs and yes, I certainly intend on spending some time with them to learn their subtleties.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mightyfaulk View Post
I had KRKs as my first pair of monitors (and sub) and had no complaints about them.

Whatever set of monitors you end up getting, take plenty of time to "learn" them. Set them up accurately and listen to some mixes you know well. Of course, you could have the most amazing pair of monitors known to man but if your room sucks it wouldn't matter. Might be good to set aside a budget to treat your room if it needs it.
Old 28th December 2010
Lives for gear

I think they are best in their price range. Best monitors period? no. best in price class, yep. Like the other guy said, learn them. Listen to a lot of music you know well through them.
Old 28th December 2010
Gear Head

I def will - I also don't see this bargain being beat for this kind of product.
I am not interested in the best monitors ever, I can't afford them
haha. These are looking better and better to me by the day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by enroper View Post
I think they are best in their price range. Best monitors period? no. best in price class, yep. Like the other guy said, learn them. Listen to a lot of music you know well through them.
Old 28th December 2010
Gear Guru

Look for a pair of used KRK V6 or V8 series 1, you want regret it. Rockit are budget speakers.
Old 28th December 2010
Gear Head

I feel like even used V6s are out of my price range. I'm really not tryin to spend more than $300ish. The rockits seem perfect - I have a recording buddy who swears by 'em. I've heard nothing but positive things about them from small-scale studio hobbyists like myself.
Old 28th December 2010
Deleted #157546
Room acoustics?
Old 28th December 2010
Lives for gear

hellz no....

boxi-o-matic.
Old 28th December 2010
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse_O View Post
I feel like even used V6s are out of my price range. I'm really not tryin to spend more than $300ish. The rockits seem perfect - I have a recording buddy who swears by 'em. I've heard nothing but positive things about them from small-scale studio hobbyists like myself.
look at this and watch it, read his remarks.......so true. Save your money then buy.
KRK V6 SERIES 2 MINTCONDITION - eBay (item 150540036827 end time Jan-03-11 16:56:44 PST)

Isn't Rockits made out of plastic, or lets say not wood ?
Old 28th December 2010
Lives for gear

+1 for the V6 models.
I have some Kroks that I use as secondary monitors and they use the same tweeter as the V6 I believe. Made in USA and sound great. My mains are ASP8.

I don't like the sound of the lower end KrK stuff these days.
I know they are very popular, but for me, the older stuff was better made and sounded smoother.
Old 28th December 2010
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllAboutTone View Post
look at this and watch it, read his remarks.......so true. Save your money then buy.
KRK V6 SERIES 2 MINTCONDITION - eBay (item 150540036827 end time Jan-03-11 16:56:44 PST)

Isn't Rockits made out of plastic, or lets say not wood ?
^he's done all the work for you, I'd listen to him.
Old 28th December 2010
Gear Addict
I have the yellow KRK6's but those Ferrari Grey ones are madddd freshhhh
Old 28th December 2010
i don't care much for the new lower end KRK, although their more pro lines im a fan of. I have VXT8s, 6000s, and kroks. The 6000s rule actually you just need to find an amp cause they're unpowered. Used unpowered speakers can be had real cheap these days. for powered cheap speakers M-audios are actually pretty good, better imho than the RP series which i kind of hate. krk V series are really good too.
Old 28th December 2010
Gear Head

just bought the krk rockit 8s on xmas eve and am very happy with them. Don't listen to snobs. They are very good except for the fact you can't "feel" them. I don't see a problem with them.
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search