The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Advise - Mic pre budget Single-Channel Preamps
Old 28th December 2010
Lives for gear

Advise - Mic pre budget

I currently use my Presonus Firestudio (XMAX Class A pres) as its my only preamp for recording.

Is there any BUDGET priced preamps that will be any better than these that wont break the bank? Something under $250-$299*?

*I dont even wanna spend that if the sound difference is barely noticeable.

Looking for best bang for buck...but the sound difference should be noticeably better, or else its not worth it to step up from the Presonus. This is not meant for Major Studio use, just home recording purposes.

Suggestions? thoughts?
Old 28th December 2010
Check out the GAP73 mic pre. It's right in your budget and is pretty much unmatched at it's price.
Old 28th December 2010
Lives for gear

Until we know how many channels you need, we have no clue.
Old 28th December 2010
Lives for gear

Ive heard great things about the GAP73....

is it noticeably better than the stock Class A preamps on the Presonus? I just dont want to spend un-necessary cash on something that sounds "similar" or "not much better"

# of channels doesnt matter. If the preamp suggested is THAT much better, i can suffice with a single XLR input only.....
Old 28th December 2010
Gear Maniac

One HUGE plus on the GAP Pre-73 is it's 80 db gain! You can then start experimenting with the wonderful world of ribbon mics! IMHO THAT is well worth the price for a Pre-73 (and it's probably better sounding too...)
Old 28th December 2010
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryan k View Post

*I dont even wanna spend that if the sound difference is barely noticeable.

Don't buy into the preamp hype unless you are:
a) willing to spend money on something that is barely noticeable
b) willing buy into expectation bias
Old 28th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryan k View Post
# of channels doesnt matter. If the preamp suggested is THAT much better, i can suffice with a single XLR input only.....
The Grace M101 is a huge step up - single channel, very pristine and clear. Probably $400ish used though. The GAP73 - I've heard good things about it but haven't played with it.

Other than that, I'd say save up until you are in the $400-$600 range. That's the next step up IMO. The quality kinda goes up in these increments to my ears (prices are retail/new for single channel):
  • $1-$100ish
  • $101-$350ish
  • $350-$600ish
  • $700-$1400ish
  • $1400+
In each range, there are loads of options - there aren't always "Best in class" options either, there might just be "bad", "better", "good".

Dunno about needing 80db of gain though... I've recorded using about five different ribbons this year alone and have never needed that much gain!

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search