The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Abbey Road RS127 & RS135 Dynamic Microphones
Old 28th December 2010
  #1
Lives for gear
 
bossman's Avatar
 

Abbey Road RS127 & RS135

For those who have it, what do you use it for? Is it worth shelling out the dough for these?
Old 28th December 2010
  #2
Gear Maniac
 
Reiner's Avatar
 

I´m in love with the brilliance pack, when I get "home-recorded" vocals and other stuff to mix.
My favs are the 135 and 8k boost for vox "from the booth". :D
On the 127 box-version I like nearly everything. Boosting mids on vocals or on guitars or sometime the 10k boost on dull acc.gits etc.
It´s a specialfx box for me also. Cranking the mids on +8 oder +10 dB on gits. for some special sound in the mix.
Old 28th December 2010
  #3
Gear Addict
 
rene-lemieux's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by prof_mojo View Post
For those who have it, what do you use it for? Is it worth shelling out the dough for these?
I use them, I like them quite a bit, but they are very present and can mess with your track... I threw them on to brighten up a cello recently, and then further compressed it using hardware, and i realized way later in the mixing phase that the spikes the box put in the freq response made for a few overly exaggerated notes of the same pitch. I needed to fix using an eq set to the opposite of the initially boosted freq that would be automated for the single notes, attenuating them... pain in da ass...... BUT, thats just my fault, I suck at audio Can you get a demo anywhere? See if you like them...

There simple, and will often do the trick, when used lightly especially, make the mix a lot more clear, but they aren't sheeny at all... like I said very present, they cut...
Old 28th December 2010
  #4
Lives for gear
I have the whole abbey road bundle (minus the newest 124) and I definitely use the brilliance pack the least out of all of them. I sometimes use the 135 for a 2-4db boost for bass or vox. They're nice and simple, but I prefer the mastering pack eq's/filters more times than not. I wouldn't recommend buying the brilliance pack alone at street price, but I would definitely recommend the bundle. Especially if you can find a good deal in the classifieds.

-Danny
Old 28th December 2010
  #5
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by unitymusic View Post
I have the whole abbey road bundle (minus the newest 124) and I definitely use the brilliance pack the least out of all of them. I sometimes use the 135 for a 2-4db boost for bass or vox. They're nice and simple, but I prefer the mastering pack eq's/filters more times than not. I wouldn't recommend buying the brilliance pack alone at street price, but I would definitely recommend the bundle. Especially if you can find a good deal in the classifieds.

-Danny
Agreed. When I had only bought the Brilliance Pack, I used it quite a lot - the chosen frequencies of the 127 and 135 are nice and do add some shine to vocal tracks and OH mics.

However, once I bought the mastering pack, I have since only used the EQ and filters from that. My brilliance pack has become a bit underused. I will keep it I think - mainly for the 135, as it does add a nice shine, but if confronted with buying anything EQ from the Abbey Road range, I'd buy the Mastering Bundle.

On a seperate note, the limiters are really nice.
Old 29th December 2010
  #6
Lives for gear
 
bossman's Avatar
 

I'm not really sure that I need the mastering pack. I have a great limiter, a great compressor and some sweet EQ's. I do need something to give an extra sparkle to vocals, however. That's why I was wondering if this would do the trick. Although is there anything in Waves that is comparable to these plugs?
Old 29th December 2010
  #7
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by prof_mojo View Post
I'm not really sure that I need the mastering pack. I have a great limiter, a great compressor and some sweet EQ's. I do need something to give an extra sparkle to vocals, however. That's why I was wondering if this would do the trick. Although is there anything in Waves that is comparable to these plugs?
Just because it's called 'The Mastering Pack', it doesn't mean it's only application is for mastering.

The Brilliance Pack EQs give you a choice of 4 frequencies (3 on 127 and 1 on 135) with +/-10dB of change.

The Mastering Pack EQ gives you a choice of 20 frequencies (including those on the 127 and 135), with +/- 10dB of change, as well as Q control, and a master volume of +/- 10dB ; there is also a plug-in with filters for Hi-Pass and Lo-Pass.

Thus, if you buy the mastering pack, you are effectively getting the Brilliance Pack (I have tried mimicking the settings from one to another and can't hear a difference), plus a very versatile EQ for use on anything else, as well as some useful filters.

The A.R limiters are not part of the mastering pack, and should not be considered similar to any other limiters for they are really rather different.

I have the Mastering Pack but do not use it for mastering. I use Brainworx. It just so happens, that Mastering Pack is what they call it - as it does emulate A.R's mastering consoles.
Old 29th December 2010
  #8
Lives for gear
 
bossman's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by therealbigd View Post
Just because it's called 'The Mastering Pack', it doesn't mean it's only application is for mastering.

The Brilliance Pack EQs give you a choice of 4 frequencies (3 on 127 and 1 on 135) with +/-10dB of change.

The Mastering Pack EQ gives you a choice of 20 frequencies (including those on the 127 and 135), with +/- 10dB of change, as well as Q control, and a master volume of +/- 10dB ; there is also a plug-in with filters for Hi-Pass and Lo-Pass.

Thus, if you buy the mastering pack, you are effectively getting the Brilliance Pack (I have tried mimicking the settings from one to another and can't hear a difference), plus a very versatile EQ for use on anything else, as well as some useful filters.

The A.R limiters are not part of the mastering pack, and should not be considered similar to any other limiters for they are really rather different.

I have the Mastering Pack but do not use it for mastering. I use Brainworx. It just so happens, that Mastering Pack is what they call it - as it does emulate A.R's mastering consoles.
Thanks for the info, but why the ? Do you feel better about yourself when you use it?
Old 29th December 2010
  #9
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by prof_mojo View Post
Thanks for the info, but why the ? Do you feel better about yourself when you use it?
No, I was just making the point that it's a common misconception here that I end up telling people all the time.

Just because the SM58 is called a 'Vocal Mic' it doesn't mean that if you put it in front of a guitar amp, your entire session will crumble and the desk will explode.

Just because the D112 is referred to as a 'Kick Drum Mic' it doesn't mean that in front of a vocalist it cannot make a cool sound.

And thus, just because it's called the mastering pack, it doesn't mean that the EQ is only applicable in the mastering application. It works equally good as channel EQ.

Sorry if I caused offence with my
Old 29th December 2010
  #10
Lives for gear
 
bossman's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by therealbigd View Post
No, I was just making the point that it's a common misconception here that I end up telling people all the time.

Just because the SM58 is called a 'Vocal Mic' it doesn't mean that if you put it in front of a guitar amp, your entire session will crumble and the desk will explode.

Just because the D112 is referred to as a 'Kick Drum Mic' it doesn't mean that in front of a vocalist it cannot make a cool sound.

And thus, just because it's called the mastering pack, it doesn't mean that the EQ is only applicable in the mastering application. It works equally good as channel EQ.

Sorry if I caused offence with my
Got it, thanks for the explanation. More importantly, thanks for the info on the plugs. thumbsup
Old 29th December 2010
  #11
Lives for gear
I use the 127 when i track with the sm7b...the sm7b sounds great on my voice, but is just lacking a little top end, out of all my EQs, this particular one is the easiest to get a good sound without sounding harsh. I set it to 10k and boost like 2db...the rest of the sm7b is fine....
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Similar Threads
Thread
Thread Starter / Forum
Replies
Skiggy / So much gear, so little time
3
Sqye / So much gear, so little time
0
davidperetz / Gearslutz Secondhand Gear Classifieds
1
T_R_S / Gearslutz Secondhand Gear Classifieds
0

Forum Jump
Forum Jump