The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Lavry Black AD-10 - noticable step-up from RME Multiface I converters? Audio Interfaces
Old 5th January 2011
D K
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by u b k View Post
There's so much to listen for, but I definitely gravitate towards specific things first and with higher priority than others.

1) Overall texture. I'm a texture freak above all, I obsess over whether sounds are hard, soft, fat, tight, edgy, smooth, round, brittle. I know of no way to measure or objectify this.

2) Freq response. Everyone knows this one, it's easily measured and easy to hear.

3) Phase shift. This is what (imo) determines how focused the sound is, and how deep the soundstage is, it's easily measured but requires a more keen ear to hear.

4) Gel/glue. Some sounds have a way of coming together, some sounds do not. I'm not sure what the voodoo is here, and it can't be heard in single tracks, it can only be experienced when trying to mix groups of them.

That's what I listen for, not just with converters but with anything. What I don't give a damn about is fidelity. If the sound is identical, that's good. If it changes in a way I like, that's good. If it changes in a way I don't, that's a problem. I feel this way about compressors, eq's, and converters too, it doesn't matter what a piece is supposed to do, it only matters to me how I like it's sound and feel.

Btw, the reason your Frontier converters sound 'sweet' to you is they roll off the subs, bump the low mids, soften the treble, roll off the air, and smear the phase a little; which, as it so happens, is what a lot of vintage transformers do, as does tape. I think the Frontier d/a is responsible for most of the sweetness, the a/d is actually a little hard and crunchy to my ears but it's not obvious until you hear them thru neutral d/a's.

The Burl B2 a/d -> Frontier d/a is quite a lovely combo really, but I imagine when I upgrade to Burl d/a's I'll shed a tear or two at the improvements. Low end tightness and a pleasing hf extension, in particular, are what I feel the mid-grade converters of today lack, and what units like the Burl bring to the table in spades.

Gregory Scott - ubk

This is really good stuff ubk

appreciate it....
Old 5th January 2011
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by doug hazelrigg View Post
I know this is gearslutz, where we talk about gear, and it's all good. But do think anybody anywhere (other than maybe a gearlsutz member ) has heard a tune, on the radio, iPod, MTV, or other medium, and said, "I think that song could have been recorded with a better A/D convertor?" l
I bet audiophiles would. I know slutz hate audiophiles but IMHO both are two sides of the same coin ( focusing on gear more than the music).

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search