The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Relatively inexpensive mains. Studio Monitors
Old 27th December 2010
  #1
Gear Addict
 
feral frequency's Avatar
 

Relatively inexpensive mains.

Did a search. Didnt find what I was looking for really. Sorry if this is redundant.
Im looking for a pair of mains that wont break the bank. Im not planning on mixing on them. Maybe just checking low end. I want them mainly for being able to track and playback louder than I want to push my nearfields for clients.

My budget is $1500-$2000. But if I can keep it below $1000 that would be great. Also amp suggestions would be appreciated as well. Thanks.
Old 27th December 2010
  #2
Lives for gear
 

Many use PA club speakers for this purpose. Just to check bottom end and how song will sound in the club. Plus they go real loud. Prices should be in your range.
Old 27th December 2010
  #3
Lives for gear
 
BradLyons's Avatar
 

How big of a room are we talking? Likewise, what kind of music will this be for typically?
Old 27th December 2010
  #4
Gear Addict
 
feral frequency's Avatar
 

Sorry left that out.

My CR is 23.5 x 14.5. It is treated fairly well. The back of the room needs a little more work. Otherwise Im happy. I mainly do singer songwriter stuff (folk/alt. country) and indie rock type projects.
Old 27th December 2010
  #5
Lives for gear
 
BradLyons's Avatar
 

I forgot to ask---WHAT monitors are you using now?

Here's the issue.... you want some playback speakers, but these are going to be for the clients to listen to. Typically, they don't understand anything other than "sounds good" so the catch is to find something that works within the room, actually COLORS the sound as opposed to raw what we expect from our monitors, and serves a purpose. When you start looking at main playback systems, oh goodness the price is going to go well above what you're looking to do. So I would suggest some PA speakers and a sub--that is if you're asking for LOUD and GOOD sound.

So again, awaiting what monitors you're using now---to give me a starting point.
Old 27th December 2010
  #6
Gear Addict
 
feral frequency's Avatar
 

I understand what you are saying. I have a pair of focal twins right now. Though I dont anticipate them staying too much longer. I know that mains are crazy expensive. Thats exactly why I posted this. To get idea from others.

I was thinking more in the used market. Like some Tannoy golds or something alike. Most likely with 12s to accomplish what I am after. Maybe JBL 4412s? Something like this. What about even some higher end home stereo speakers? Klipsch?

And Im not looking to make the ground shake here. Just louder than my nearfields.
Old 28th December 2010
  #7
Lives for gear
 
BradLyons's Avatar
 

Jay,

Actually you're reading my mind. You see, PA cabs are nice---but they want to be LOUD. Buying more studio monitors doesn't really do it either. IMHO if you want something for playback and you want to do it affordably, I would go to Best Buy or some kind of electronics store and buy yourself a NICE home theatre system for two reasons. ONE, you can crank it up and get a killer sound for that "listen to this".....and TWO, well it's a great way to playback your mix to see "how close am I".
Old 28th December 2010
  #8
Lives for gear
 
carllock's Avatar
 

These sound okay for cheap mains (or hi-fi mains), I bought four pair for various listening locations I have:

(2) AUDIO DYNAMIC DUAL 10" STUDIO MONITOR 2,000 WATTS - eBay (item 160377091307 end time Jan-04-11 05:56:02 PST)
Old 28th December 2010
  #9
Why not add a sub? You said you don't have to be super accurate anyway. And your nearfields will sound much better for mids and highs then a club PA. The crossover in the sub will remove the lows from your nearfields which is where the bulk of their power draw comes from. Imagine your current system 2x or more loud. It's something like that. There is some mointors called barefoot micro mains that are supposed to go very loud but its probably mostly from the integrated sub. do you really want to make yourself deaf btw?

Barefoot Sound :: The MicroMain27
Old 28th December 2010
  #10
Gear Addict
 
feral frequency's Avatar
 

Relatively inexpensive mains.

Thanks for the suggestions guys.

The reason I'm not getting a sub is that I just don't like the sound of subs when they are separated. Getting them placed right and in phase is such a hassle. Not my cup of tea.

I have used the barefoots numerous times. I really do like them but I can't afford them. And I'm not sure I like them enough to spend the money on them.

And I about the "making yourself deaf" comment. Like stated above. It's just for clients. I don't enjoy mixing loud.
Old 28th December 2010
  #11
Lives for gear
 
KRStudio's Avatar
 

Where are you located? I have a pair of UREI 813's for sale. Very loud and sound great.
Old 28th December 2010
  #12
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by feral frequency View Post
Sorry left that out.

My CR is 23.5 x 14.5.
I weigh 85.

My car goes 150.

My computer cost 1500.


Noticed the fault in your post yet?
Old 28th December 2010
  #13
Quote:
Originally Posted by feral frequency View Post
Did a search. Didnt find what I was looking for really. Sorry if this is redundant.
Im looking for a pair of mains that wont break the bank. Im not planning on mixing on them. Maybe just checking low end. I want them mainly for being able to track and playback louder than I want to push my nearfields for clients.

My budget is $1500-$2000. But if I can keep it below $1000 that would be great. Also amp suggestions would be appreciated as well. Thanks.
You can probably find a pair of Tannoy System 15's DMTII for that price. The amp and cables to drive them though will cost you extra.
Old 28th December 2010
  #14
Gear Addict
 
feral frequency's Avatar
 

Relatively inexpensive mains.

Quote:
Originally Posted by therealbigd

I weigh 85.

My car goes 150.

My computer cost 1500.


Noticed the fault in your post yet?
Are you suggesting I leave this information out? Your statement seems a bit ridiculous. This is the Internet after all. Or have you forgotten?
Old 28th December 2010
  #15
Gear Addict
 
feral frequency's Avatar
 

Relatively inexpensive mains.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thethrillfactor

You can probably find a pair of Tannoy System 15's DMTII for that price. The amp and cables to drive them though will cost you extra.
Thanks thrill. I appreciate your help. This seems like a great option. The price I quoted was just for the speakers so this seems just about right.

Would these be ok if they weren't soffit mounted? I don't plan on soffit mounting the speakers I choose.
Old 28th December 2010
  #16
Quote:
Originally Posted by feral frequency View Post
Would these be ok if they weren't soffit mounted? I don't plan on soffit mounting the speakers I choose.
Yeah, just build a big, really heavy stand and fill it with sand or lead shot. In studios i've been in with them free standing the sturdier the stand the tighter the bass. Also Tannoy's match best with 80's Perreaux amps and Kimber 8TC cable.
Old 28th December 2010
  #17
member no 666
 
Fletcher's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by feral frequency View Post
My budget is $1500-$2000. But if I can keep it below $1000 that would be great. Also amp suggestions would be appreciated as well. Thanks.
Don't know where you're located - but there is a response on this thread from a guy in San Diego selling a pair of 813's -- which would be my pick if I were in your shoes. I've worked in I don't know how many rooms over the years that have had these in many states of being "mounted". Some of the best rooms I've worked in had them mounted in the wall, many did not -- some had them on stands [Thrill gave you some good advice there] some had them on chains coming from the ceiling.

The amp thing gets a bit trickier... while 813's are rated for 75w per cabinet, I've never powered them with less than 500w per side [on any build I designed]. I generally spec'ed a McIntosh MC-2500. They were made until like 1990 and were replaced by the MC-2700 [700w/ch]. They're solid state, reliable can net you about 750/side without noticeable distortion [great for transients when you get rid of the internal limiter!!] and can be measured in "horsepower" [which is good because you're only going to turn the things up so far -- the more amp, the less distortion, the less distortion -- the longer your drivers last].

The only real problem with them is that they can be "pricey". If you hunt around through the various "Hi-Fi" used shops [I highly recommend "Audio Classics" for that] you'll find them for like $3000 [still worth every penny, but over your stated budget]. If you hunt around and are not in a hurry, you can find them for like $500 or [my favorite price] "how much can I pay you to haul this 130lbs. behemoth the hell out of here" [which only happened once -- but I've found more than a few for $500 and less] - and while inexpensive used ones often need a couple hundred $$ worth of repairs - McIntosh service is GREAT!!! and rather inexpensive [as in you can end up with a $3000 amp, for under $1000].

I will add that doing some kind of $2000 / pr. of "PA" speakers won't get you very far. Yes, they'll be smaller - and yes, you'll be able to do "double duty" and bring them to pub gigs - but its not the right tool for the job, and frankly not enough budget to get something like that new [of course, YMMV].

Quote:
Originally Posted by feral frequency View Post
Are you suggesting I leave this information out? Your statement seems a bit ridiculous. This is the Internet after all. Or have you forgotten?
What Thrill was alluding to in the other post was that you included no unit of measure in the CR dimensions you provided... is it feet? ... is it meters? ... is it furlongs? It doesn't really matter as nobody here is going to run the shell numbers to check out the potential response of the room -- and one could extrapolate that its feet as you're doing "alt country" and I've never heard anyone in the EU, UK or "down under" who worked in that genre [though I'm sure some do - and others have] -- Thrill's point was that it makes those of us who are sticklers a bit uncomfortable without having a "units of measure" reference point.

Peace.
Old 28th December 2010
  #18
Lives for gear
 

Look for a used pair of JBL LSR32's which you should be able to find for under $1000. It will fit all your needs plus you WILL be able to mix on them, in fact you may end up prefering mixing on these midfields over a nearfield.
Old 28th December 2010
  #19
Gear Addict
 
feral frequency's Avatar
 

Relatively inexpensive mains.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletcher

Don't know where you're located - but there is a response on this thread from a guy in San Diego selling a pair of 813's -- which would be my pick if I were in your shoes. I've worked in I don't know how many rooms over the years that have had these in many states of being "mounted". Some of the best rooms I've worked in had them mounted in the wall, many did not -- some had them on stands [Thrill gave you some good advice there] some had them on chains coming from the ceiling.

The amp thing gets a bit trickier... while 813's are rated for 75w per cabinet, I've never powered them with less than 500w per side [on any build I designed]. I generally spec'ed a McIntosh MC-2500. They were made until like 1990 and were replaced by the MC-2700 [700w/ch]. They're solid state, reliable can net you about 750/side without noticeable distortion [great for transients when you get rid of the internal limiter!!] and can be measured in "horsepower" [which is good because you're only going to turn the things up so far -- the more amp, the less distortion, the less distortion -- the longer your drivers last].

The only real problem with them is that they can be "pricey". If you hunt around through the various "Hi-Fi" used shops [I highly recommend "Audio Classics" for that] you'll find them for like $3000 [still worth every penny, but over your stated budget]. If you hunt around and are not in a hurry, you can find them for like $500 or [my favorite price] "how much can I pay you to haul this 130lbs. behemoth the hell out of here" [which only happened once -- but I've found more than a few for $500 and less] - and while inexpensive used ones often need a couple hundred $$ worth of repairs - McIntosh service is GREAT!!! and rather inexpensive [as in you can end up with a $3000 amp, for under $1000].

I will add that doing some kind of $2000 / pr. of "PA" speakers won't get you very far. Yes, they'll be smaller - and yes, you'll be able to do "double duty" and bring them to pub gigs - but its not the right tool for the job, and frankly not enough budget to get something like that new [of course, YMMV].

Quote:
Are you suggesting I leave this information out? Your statement seems a bit ridiculous. This is the Internet after all. Or have you forgotten?
What Thrill was alluding to in the other post was that you included no unit of measure in the CR dimensions you provided... is it feet? ... is it meters? ... is it furlongs? It doesn't really matter as nobody here is going to run the shell numbers to check out the potential response of the room -- and one could extrapolate that its feet as you're doing "alt country" and I've never heard anyone in the EU, UK or "down under" who worked in that genre [though I'm sure some do - and others have] -- Thrill's point was that it makes those of us who are sticklers a bit uncomfortable without having a "units of measure" reference point.

Peace.
Thanks for the help fletcher I will look into them.

And the unit of measurement is feet. Sorry for my haste response.
Old 28th December 2010
  #20
Quote:
Originally Posted by feral frequency View Post
Are you suggesting I leave this information out? Your statement seems a bit ridiculous. This is the Internet after all. Or have you forgotten?
he means you don't include any units, so 20x30 is meaningless.
Old 28th December 2010
  #21
Gear Addict
 
feral frequency's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by psycho_monkey View Post
he means you don't include any units, so 20x30 is meaningless.
Hence my above statement that it is in feet. Sorry for the confusion everyone.
Old 28th December 2010
  #22
Gear Addict
 
feral frequency's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRStudio View Post
Where are you located? I have a pair of UREI 813's for sale. Very loud and sound great.
Im located in Salt Lake City, UT.
Old 28th December 2010
  #23
Lives for gear
 

Psycho Monkey wins a bin bag.

Fletcher - I don't think it's irrelevant. A room measured 20x30 feet squared is significantly smaller than a room measured 20x30 metres squared - 10 times smaller in fact.

I think it's a bit silly to suggest that if you make a room 10 times bigger, you cannot change your selection of suitable monitors.
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Similar Threads
Thread
Thread Starter / Forum
Replies
ramjet / So much gear, so little time
13
Audio1420 / Rap + Hip Hop engineering and production
1
audiothings / Low End Theory
4
Sammas / So much gear, so little time
1

Forum Jump
Forum Jump