The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Fat Pickups For Strat Modular Synthesizers
Old 27th December 2010
Gear Head

Fat Pickups For Strat

I am looking to get new pickups for my MIM strat and I don't know how to about it. I want a fat sounding set of pickups that sound good in the neck position. I usually play with it in the neck position because I look to avoid any harshness I can. I play through a fender hot rod deluxe. I don't really want to spend over 200, but I will if it's worth it. Any Suggestions?
Old 27th December 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigteets922 View Post
I am looking to get new pickups for my MIM strat and I don't know how to about it. I want a fat sounding set of pickups that sound good in the neck position. I usually play with it in the neck position because I look to avoid any harshness I can. I play through a fender hot rod deluxe. I don't really want to spend over 200, but I will if it's worth it. Any Suggestions?
Here's the question, do you want your guitar to sound like a Strat? Lindy Fralin makes some nice pickups that sound like the instrument your playing, if what you're looking for is something bigger and hotter look at Duncan hot rails or Dimarzio strat humbuckers. Lindy Fralin makes a humbucking set these days but they still sound more like strat pickups except the bridge isn't like a needle going through your head.
Old 27th December 2010
Gear Head

I do want it to still sound like a strat. I want to avoid getting humbuckers. I am a definite single coil guy.
Old 27th December 2010
Gear Addict

Get in touch with Bill Lawrence or Becky here:

Bill Lawrence: Contact Bill n' Becky
Old 27th December 2010
IMO the magical words that strat pickups need are "noiseless" and "alnico".

Noiseless Guitar Pickups | Kinman Guitar Pickups
Old 28th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
I do want it to still sound like a strat. I want to avoid getting humbuckers. I am a definite single coil guy.
I`m just curious, what amp are you using?
Old 28th December 2010
Quote:
Lindy Fralin makes wonderful strat pickups that sound like Strat pickups. What is also nice about Lindy's stuff is you can get it in 5% increments of hotness.
He has a lot of clips on his site all clean guitar into an amp
Old 28th December 2010
Lives for gear

Fralins are great (I had him rewind some pickups for a refurbished '66 Mustang)... I personally love Rio Grandes in a strat.
Old 28th December 2010
dry
Gear Maniac

kinman woodstock

i second the kinman pickups...i have the nocaster on my tele and the woodstock plus in a k9 harness is about as close as you can get to perfection... oh and that allows for parallel pickup blending so you get 9 tones out of your strat.....SICK
Old 28th December 2010

Fralins are tough to beat for strats and teles. I have a set of Lollar Special Ts in my Tele and those are super fat. I'd look into those 2 companies.
Old 28th December 2010
Lives for gear

Isn't FAT... anti STRAT? Hello?
Old 28th December 2010
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by James 'LA' Lugo View Post
Fralins are tough to beat for strats and teles. I have a set of Lollar Special Ts in my Tele and those are super fat. I'd look into those 2 companies.
All I can say the start tone hit it out of the ball park, never thought I would say that against a les paul.
wow the start with Fralins was amazing... wow....heh
Old 28th December 2010
Gear Nut

adding to the variety; check out Don Mare Pickups, there's quite a few tone styles there.
Old 28th December 2010
Gear Addict

Rio grandes... Got a MIM strat loaded with those pups and it's a hot fat tone. However I favor the Ultra Strat with ebony fretboard that I have and that bad boy is loaded with older Lace Reds which also sound great and fat. If you like the MIM neck then the Rio's are awesome. Sorry I can't remember which flavors I have in that piece and I'm on the road so I can't check right now, but if you google you can find their offerings.
Old 28th December 2010
Lives for gear

leosounds

I did a similar research a while ago and ended up ordering a leosounds pickup.

Check these clips LEOSOUNDS - Handwound Guitar Pickups

I havent received them yet, counting the days
Old 28th December 2010
dsl
Gear Nut

I've tried a ton of Strat pickups & the Lindy Fralin - Blues Special set are my favorite. To me - they're FAT.

Welcome to Lindy Fralin Pickups: Fralin Strat® Style Blues Specials - the Finest Guitar Pickups Available Today!
Old 28th December 2010
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heartfelt View Post
Isn't FAT... anti STRAT? Hello?
Nailed it.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search