The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Monitors for Classical Mixing/Composition Studio Monitors
Old 27th December 2010
Here for the gear

Monitors for Classical Mixing/Composition

Hi guys,

Going to upgrade my nearfield monitors, currently I am using Alesis Pro Linear 720's, cheap but all round pretty good.

Im wanting to upgrade to something with a little more clarity as I do some referencing on my HD650s which blow my monitors out of the water.
At the moment I dont have a great listening environment but that will change soon as well as the acoustics.

But for now im looking on some advice for a pair of monitors to replace my current ones.

I have been looking at the Adam A5X series, but would like to know other peoples thoughts.

Budget is around £500 a for a pair.

Cheers,
Kristopher
Old 27th December 2010
Lives for gear

There are many brands AND models to choose from obviously, but when you're talking classical music---clarity is a must-have. There are other factors here such as the converter you're using and, of course, THE ROOM. Asking the typically obvious question here first---IS YOUR ROOM TREATED? And please, tell us about the size of the room---any issues? Etc? What else is in your system?

Looking beyond that---I think you're on the right track with ADAM Audio. IMHO when it comes to clarity, they are amazing---but so is Genelec, Focal, K&H, and a few others.
Old 27th December 2010
Here for the gear

Monitors

Hi there,

I use some PMC TB2s (passive) that I picked up off ebay for £400. You'll have to shell out a little more for a good amp too but i've found these to be great for my classical recordings and when compared to the other speakers in my house they really display a wide frequency range nice and evenly.

I still always make a point of listening on as many speaker systems as I can get hold of too though.

Good luck.
Old 27th December 2010
Gear Nut

Hi Kristoph,
monitors choice is a very personal choice. There are a lot of things that affect the way a monitor works. Correct monitors placement and settings and of course correct sounding room are probably more important then the monitor itself. Adam A5x or Genelec 8040 or the equivalent K&H are all good monitors but you have to try them before to buy because everyone has its own ear and a different way of perceive sound.
Anyway i work very well with Genelec with every kind of music.
Best regards
Old 27th December 2010
Gear Guru

Monitors for Classical Mixing/Composition

My nearfields are the K+H 110D, but I may replace them with the new Neumann KH 120 as they go lower and I hear they are better - very neutral and ideal for classical.

The others to look at are the ATC and Harbeth range; Geithein and PMC are also good, but I don't like the small PMCs for classical.

Posted via the Gearslutz iPhone app

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search