The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Am I the only person not to have 'got' the sound of the AKG K-701? Studio Headphones
Old 27th December 2010
Lives for gear

Am I the only person not to have 'got' the sound of the AKG K-701?

So I've had the K-701 headphones for a few years now - I use the Senn HD-650 as my main reference cans, but the 701s are there too.

I bought them back when I did a lot of classical recording as they seemed to be the headphone of choice for this kind of work. They have been broken in through weeks of constant use and had every conceivable style of music played through them at length.

However, I have never enjoyed listening to music through them. I understand that people say they are 'natural' or 'neutral' or whatever but I would never sit down and listen to an album through them by choice. To me they sound somewhat thin and tinny.

Am I alone? They have always seemed to be something of a 'holy grail' product but I have never 'got it'.
Old 27th December 2010
Gear Guru

Am I the only person not to have 'got' the sound of the AKG K-701?

Some people love the K701 / 2, others prefer the HD 600 / 650.

Personally, I used the 600 / 650 until I upgraded to the HD 800 18 months ago.

Posted via the Gearslutz iPhone app
Old 27th December 2010
Lives for gear

Well I guess it really is a subjective matter,as is most monitoring/listening situations.

Since we are really just talking opinions, I LOVE my 702's! At first they were a bit bright on the really high end(above 8k)but now they have settled down and they sound very even to ME! I have not compared them to many other "high end" phones,but compared to other mid level phones($100-$300usd) I must say that these cans are excellent. Yes,"natural,"neutral" "flat" are all adjectives that I have seen to describe these phones and to me "balanced" seems to be a better adjective.

Of course I use mine for mixing as well as listening,so my approach is a bit more clinical,but I still think the 702's are very musical sounding. It's like people recommending that we listen to as much stuff on studio monitors in order to "learn" how they sound. This is how I listen on the 702's.

However,with that said, I get the feeling that when I listen to a recording on the 702's, that I am hearing it the way the mix and master engineers heard it in their room. I guess the way it was "intended" to sound.

Of course,like your opinion,this is my opinion.

fb

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search