The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
UA LA-610 (MkII) for MIXING? Single-Channel Preamps
Old 27th December 2010
Lives for gear

UA LA-610 (MkII) for MIXING?

I am lusting for a UA LA-610 MkII mainly for tracking vocals that could need some tube warmth and grit. I am using a Mojave 201FET, which is pretty bright and "fast" and would benefit from some tubes in the chain to round things off, I guess.

But my main question is if I can use the Pre and/or Compressor during MIXING to apply some tube color and/or compression? Is it kind of a common practice to run things through a pre or channel strip for extra color/saturation/grit/compression during MIXING?
Old 27th December 2010
Gear Nut

Yes! Engineers usually process their signal through outboard gear of all sorts during mix down. I always do this, often with unlikely types of gear. I'm also looking to get the LA-610, and this is one of the primary reasons. Can't wait to get the T4 all over my signal.
Old 28th December 2010
Of course. I prefer to take it easy or not at all on compression on the way in. Post recording is the way i'd go but it's very time consuming, and your ad da conversion must be good to not lose much on the trip back out and in.
Old 28th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarfishMusic View Post
and your ad da conversion must be good to not lose much on the trip back out and in.
I don't care so much about converters, if I run stuff through my Distressor (even with the stock 002R converters) it still sounds so much better than any plugin.
But I never used a Pre during mixing (mainly because I don't have one but use those of my console), so I wanted to know if this is common practice to add color using Preamps (other than during tracking), because most of the time I am mixing stuff that I did not record myself.
Old 29th December 2010
The pre part on a re-run? sure but for me it'd have to be a different concept of pre than was used in the recording like a transformer based or tube based when the original was not. For me I don't do it commonly because I usually compress with ART PRO VLAIIs which have a controllable tube output stage and a neve summing mixer that has a tranny in it's out. A 610 pre would give color for sure, just make sure to use the line in or you'll probably clip it. I've spent abit of time with the 610 but not at my studio so it's always been recording through it. It does have a thick rich sound.

About the converters... I'm using SSL alphalink now, but before that I used an emu 1820M. Not bad but not a pro converter, probably RME level quality. I really didn't lose much on the second generation, but if you do a loop back test from out to in without the 610 you'll see what your missing.

The distressor vs plugins of course. I had a tubetech lca2b ungodly expensive compressor it was awesome but took tremendous amount of time to run all the tracks through it. I sold it and bought 9 provlaIIs, which are so much more practical. Not as good as the tubetech obviously, but they still demolish anything in the computer i've heard. (I haven't heard the softube Cl1B though

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search