The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Allen & Heath GS3 low output on direct outs?? Help! Audio Interfaces
Old 27th December 2010
Here for the gear

Allen & Heath GS3 low output on direct outs?? Help!

Hi all,

First post so bare with with me..

I'm running a Digi002 rack/Focusrite Octopre 16 ch rig being fed by an old Allen & Heath GS3 16 channel desk.

Everything's talking to eachother but the desk and interface aren't being so friendly.

Basically I can't seem to get a decent level out the direct outs on the A & H. I can get a clean recording out of it fine but the level's like 30dB lower than it should be. The only way to get a decent level out of it is to drive the gains to just below peaking and push the faders to +10dB!! Obviously i don't want to be doing this at every session.

1-4 on the digi rack are blaggable with a little tweak on the gain on the front panel, 5-8 doesnt have this privilege, and 1-8 on the focusrite can also be blagged but with its gain set to 3 o'clock!!!

I can't run my studio like this!

I'm not willing to swap the board right now as I've got a heap of sessions coming up plus lacking in funds.

Surely this isn't normal for this desk to output such a low signal right?

I'm using balanced jacks out of the direct outs, i recently discovered the outs on the board are actually unbalanced but I thought this would only make a 6dB difference not 30dB?! Also the focusrite is connected by 25 pin d-sub with balanced jacks on the end.

Has anyone had any issues like this before?

Cheers guys.
Old 29th December 2010
Here for the gear

no one got any ideas?

I'm sure A & H would never build a desk with outrageously low direct outs right?
Old 29th December 2010
Lives for gear

Use the right cables. Then consult the manual. There could be some jumpers or somthing that switch it from -10 to +4 infact that is rather normal.
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search