The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
How to insert mono-in/stereo-out hardware (like PCM70) into Pro Tools 9?
Old 27th December 2010
Lives for gear

I want to integrate my outboard gear into a hybrid Pro Tools based setup and I am thinking about how I can route a mono-in/stereo-out unit (like my PCM70 reverb unit) through the hardware inserts?
Mono-in/mono-out units are fine, stereo-in/stereo-out units also, but mono-in/stereo-out?
Old 27th December 2010
I don't understand your problem ... simply use one D/A channel to drive the mono FX input and two A/D channels to return the stereo FX output ...

I suggest you set this up as a 100% wet parallel FX ... e.g. a mono vocal track would use an FX Send to send a mono signal to the external FX, and the Stereo FX return would be routed to a seperate stereo FX channel.

EDIT ... hmm - I guess you are comparing this to inserting hardware into the analog tracking chain? For something like reverb I wouldn't track it, and I wouldn't pass the clean signal through the reverb. Best track a clean dry mono tracks, and then automate the FX send and return at mix time. I tend to use digital i/o where possible to avoid converter degradation - not that it's a real concern with reverb.
Old 27th December 2010

How do you insert a mono in/stereo out reverb unit on an analogue console? You don't...you send on a mono aux, and return on a stereo channel...so do the same on your daw. Send to a mono hardware out, setup a stereo channel for the return.
Old 27th December 2010
Lives for gear

My question is targeted towards a Pro Tools insert. I don't have any problems hooking up the PCM70 to my analog console (use a mono aux and bring the PCM70's stereo output back into a stereo channel on the console), but in Pro Tools, I have to setup input-output-pairs as an insert. I cannot say something like "output to Analog 1" and "input from Analog 1 and 2".

With my current knowledge, I would setup a stereo insert in Pro Tools, but just hook up one side of it to the PCM70's input. And then I pan the aux sends in Pro Tools all the way to the left to feed the left output? Is this how it's meant to be?
Old 27th December 2010
Here for the gear

I don't understand your problem. You simply create an aux on your track and send this signal to a single output of your interface, like you would do on a mixing table. It goes to your reverb mono in and you send it back to a stereo input in PT.
Old 27th December 2010
Lives for gear

I am referring to the way hardware is integrated in Pro Tools.
AFAIK, I have to setup an Aux track for the reverb as usual, but instead of inserting a reverb plugin, I will insert an "i/o Insert" (one that has been configured in the I/O-setup page of Pro Tools). The reverb unit is stereo-out, so I'll setup a stereo Aux track and a stereo hardware i/o insert. But the unit's input is mono and I end up with a stereo Aux send where just the left (or right) output actually goes to the unit.

This insert is either mono OR stereo, but not mono-in and stereo-out. So the routing is different to the routing of a complete analog setup with a console.
Old 27th December 2010
Gear Nut

Just use a stereo insert and use one side for input. I've been doing this with my spacestation for years and works just fine.
Old 27th December 2010
Lives for gear

Question; Does PT not have I/O selections of #'x' in both L and R monos and the stereo pair options?
Old 27th December 2010
Here for the gear

When i set my aux send on a mono track, i just send a mono signal. I can choose for exemple to send it to "out 3", "out 4" or "out 3-4". If i choose "out 3", nothing will go out in output 4. Why the hell do you have to send a stereo signal?
Old 27th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonioprod
When i set my aux send on a mono track, i just send a mono signal. I can choose for exemple to send it to "out 3", "out 4" or "out 3-4". If i choose "out 3", nothing will go out in output 4. Why the hell do you have to send a stereo signal?
Are you using Pro Tools? I know how to send a mono signal out, but how to get the return signal back into PT without setting up an insert?
Old 27th December 2010
Here for the gear

Yes, PT9 with an RME Fireface UFX interface.
Old 27th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonioprod View Post
Yes, PT9 with an RME Fireface UFX interface.
And how do you get the stereo signal back into PT?
Old 27th December 2010
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiF View Post
And how do you get the stereo signal back into PT?
I send the stereo out of the reverb and record it on a stereo track in PT through 2 channel imputs of my interface.
Old 27th December 2010
Lives for gear

Ah, Ok. I dont want to record the reverb, I want to use the unit just like a plugin in realtime in my mix.
I'll try setting up a stereo insert, using just the left outpout and I think that maybe I'll end up with a send level that might be a but lower than normal (depending on the panning law).
Old 27th December 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiF
Ah, Ok. I dont want to record the reverb, I want to use the unit just like a plugin in realtime in my mix.
I'll try setting up a stereo insert, using just the left outpout and I think that maybe I'll end up with a send level that might be a but lower than normal (depending on the panning law).
Just do it the way I suggested, don't faff around with inserts and you'll be fine. You're really overcomplicating things here.

There's no point in doing it any other way - why would you worry about doing it with inserts and so on? The end result is exactly the same and you don't have to worry about remembering to pan things and so on.
Old 27th December 2010
Gear Addict

If you're using a hardware insert, PT is going to want the number of channels to be identical. You'll need 2 aux tracks to do this- one mono, one stereo. Make the input of the mono aux your reverb bus and the output the mono hardware output going to the PCM. On the stereo aux, make the input the stereo hardware input from the PCM.

Or just make the mono hardware output itself a send on all the tracks you want to verb up. Then you'd only need the same stereo aux return.

Last edited by soypancho; 27th December 2010 at 10:00 PM.. Reason: added picture
Old 11th April 2011
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by soypancho View Post
If you're using a hardware insert, PT is going to want the number of channels to be identical. You'll need 2 aux tracks to do this- one mono, one stereo. Make the input of the mono aux your reverb bus and the output the mono hardware output going to the PCM. On the stereo aux, make the input the stereo hardware input from the PCM.

Or just make the mono hardware output itself a send on all the tracks you want to verb up. Then you'd only need the same stereo aux return.
but this way have no ProTools delay compensate, right?
Thanks
Old 11th April 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by soypancho View Post

Hey soypancho, thanx for the detailled explanation!

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search