The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
recommended mastering engineers?
Old 23rd January 2006

recommended mastering engineers?

hi

I was wondering if anyone could recommend mastering engineers that are particularly good. I have used Bob Ludwig and Howie Weinberg in the past (among others) and I particularly liked Weinbergs treatment of heavy music, but I am interested in finding someone who could do great things with a folk/rock client of mine.

I would also be interested in recommendations more out of interest who you might recommend for any other type of music? Hip-hop, metal, etc..

No recommending yourself please.

thanks
Narco
Old 23rd January 2006
Lives for gear

I use two...

John Golden (www.goldenmastering.com)
He has a great organic depth to his work.

Joe Lambert (www.trutonemastering.com)
Great rock sound, very weighted and solid.

They are both the BEST with their work and the way they treat you. Very affordable, too. Even the small budget stuff I do can afford them.

I could not do what I do without them.
Old 23rd January 2006
Gear Addict

Check some previous threads on this....

Our own Bob Olhsson is my choice.
Old 23rd January 2006
Lives for gear

Brad Blackwood also a GS member and very cool cat.

Jo
Old 23rd January 2006
Lives for gear

Scot Hull has great ears and always seems to find just the right way to make the music have impact without compromise. Definitely knows how to treat acoustic / dynamic music as well as harder stuff.

http://scotthullmastering.com

321 West 44th
Suite 402
New York, NY 10036

Best,
Silas
Old 23rd January 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by studjo
Brad Blackwood also a GS member and very cool cat.

Jo

BB does great work

http://www.euphonicmasters.com
Old 24th January 2006
Lives for gear

Greg Calbi does a lot of really great-sounding acoustic and roots-oriented music. I and many of my friends have had very good experiences with him.

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC
Old 24th January 2006
Gear Head

For pop tracks/albums I highly recommend Bjorn Engelmann of Cutting Room, Stockholm.

http://www.cuttingroom.se/staff.php?s=2&p=1&lang=2

Mark
Old 24th January 2006
Lives for gear

Larry DeVivo
Silvertone Mastering, Inc.
518-581-8141
www.silvertonemastering.com/stone
Old 24th January 2006
Lives for gear

Dave Collins is the man for all genres! Have not been let down, and my stuff always sounds better when I leave, which is more than I can say about some other experiences with others...

Dave Collins Mastering
213-448-0616

ryan hewitt
Old 24th January 2006
Lives for gear
for me I almost always use George Marino...
but more ot the point, if you've been happy with Howie, why NOT go back to him??

If he understands your work and translates it well then the genre of music is irrelevant.
Old 24th January 2006
Lives for gear

Bernie Grundman.
Old 24th January 2006
Lives for gear

Narco, don't mean to hijack your thread

Do mastering engineers allow you to demo their services? Like master a little bit of a song to see what they're capable of doing so you can shop around and find a mastering engineer that is right for the music?
Old 24th January 2006

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwittman
for me I almost always use George Marino...
but more ot the point, if you've been happy with Howie, why NOT go back to him??

If he understands your work and translates it well then the genre of music is irrelevant.
Actually that is what I am planning, I was thinking about looking around purely for the sake of variety, but after a while I decided to go back to Howie Weinberg. He's the only mastering engineer that my stuff came back better sounding than when it went away, as opposed to just "mastered"

thanks everyone though
narco
Old 24th January 2006

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hope209
Narco, don't mean to hijack your thread

Do mastering engineers allow you to demo their services? Like master a little bit of a song to see what they're capable of doing so you can shop around and find a mastering engineer that is right for the music?

Its usually good to look at their track record, for instance howie weinberg has done Nevermind by nirvana, beastie boys, white stripes, bjork..

http://www.masterdisk.com/howie.html

you could always pay them to master one track to try them though, although it won't be an efficient use of your budget.

narco
Old 24th January 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by narco

I would also be interested in recommendations more out of interest who you might recommend for any other type of music? Hip-hop, metal, etc..

thanks
Narco
The other day a friend of mine sent Brad Blackwood, a Bolivian folkloric record. I assume it was Brad´s first experience with that music and he nailed it. That dude is amazing.
Old 24th January 2006
Lives for gear

In my personal experience....
Dave Collins-super glue for super rock
Brian Lucey (on here as Lucey)- super clean and powerful, and great communication
and Rodney Mills for hip hop

I have not been doing this near as long as others here, so take mine with a grain of salt
Old 24th January 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by narco
hi

I am interested in finding someone who could do great things with a folk/rock client of mine.

thanks
Narco
I've used Dave Davis at QCA in Cincinnati for all my 'folk-rock' stuff. (800) 859-8401.
Old 24th January 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by Legacy
Scot Hull has great ears and always seems to find just the right way to make the music have impact without compromise. Definitely knows how to treat acoustic / dynamic music as well as harder stuff.

http://scotthullmastering.com

321 West 44th
Suite 402
New York, NY 10036

Best,
Silas
DEFINETLY Scott Hull, Joe Lambert was Scott's assistant, I'm sure Joe is fine but Scott's a killer
Old 24th January 2006
Gear Maniac

john vestman for folk rock kind of stuff, especially within a budget
Old 24th January 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by pigpen
In my personal experience....
Dave Collins-super glue for super rock
Brian Lucey (on here as Lucey)- super clean and powerful, and great communication
and Rodney Mills for hip hop

I have not been doing this near as long as others here, so take mine with a grain of salt
I have to second Brian Lucey here. I have had stuff done by a couple of guys mentioned in the list, all solid work, but I prefer working with Brian. He is quite outspoken often here on GS, but I find him very easy to communicate with and does great work. Higly recommended.

Good luck,
Dirk

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search