The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
The Madness begins : Tascam Porta Two Keyboard Synthesizers
Old 27th December 2010
Gear Head

The Madness begins : Tascam Porta Two

This is where it all started for me.
Attached Thumbnails
The Madness begins : Tascam Porta Two-tascam-porta-two.jpg  
Old 27th December 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollywoods View Post
This is where it all started for me.
8 track cassette... life is good!

The fundamentals of good song writing and recording can be achieved right there.

I occasionally pull out the old 4 track cassettes of my own, from various recording project and bands - and I have to say there is an authenticity imposed by the medium that I don't find in today's DAW based home recording environments.

One of the liberating things about those cassette based recorders is that they begged to be mobile and spontaneous - had it not been for that fact some of the most cherished recordings of my younger days may not have happen at all.

mic pre's (?!?!), recorder, eq, mixer... all in one.
Old 28th April 2011
Here for the gear

question

I just bought a porta two just like in the picture from Goodwill. I brought it home and hooked it up to a cd player and a tuner. Everything works fine even sounds great with the mic I hooke up. Rewind and fast forward work on the tape deck but play or play and record don't do anything. I have no manual am I doing something wrong?? I even just put a brand new tape in it and nothing happens from pressing play. It seems like the wheel thing that moves the tape fim doesn't even come up to the tape when you press play. Anyone have any questions or can you hook up another tape deck and bypass that if it's broken?
Old 28th April 2011
Here for the gear

Sorry I bought one like Hollywoods picture. Forgot to add that.
Old 28th April 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by rack gear View Post
The fundamentals of good song writing and recording can be achieved right there.
Amen!
Old 28th April 2011
Gear Addict

This is my first multitrack recorder, the Ross 4x4.
Lots of cross talk.
Lots of noise.
Lots of belt slipping.
Lots of eaten tapes.
lots of fun when I was a kid.

Old 2nd October 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarnationsauce View Post
This is my first multitrack recorder, the Ross 4x4.
Damn that's one ugly MF.

I must have forgotten about that one. Looks like a cross between one of the Tascams and one of those clunky portable cassette recorders like Rerun used to bootleg the Doobie concert.

Sorry for bringing this back. I was looking for a Porta Two service manual on Google and it came up.
Old 3rd October 2013
Lives for gear

I had a lot of fun back in the day with 4 tracks. A fun little setup I had was a foxtex x-26 that I hooked up to a korg M1 with a pocket sync. I had all my sequences running in perfect time with the 4 track, although I was left with 3 tracks, it was so much fun being limited like that because it forces you to be much more creative
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search