The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
High end headphone cables - what the balz is the deal???? and defoaming?? Studio Headphones
Old 23rd July 2012
PDC
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by olblueyez View Post
Just as I thought, your able to spew the sales pitch they taught you and nothing more. You don't even have a grasp of your competition but your able to tell people if they are nuts.

"Shielding makes a difference" is all of your "Scientific Facts". How typical.
You have no idea what you are talking about. We sold only the legit audiophile gear for the most part, not the wild, crazy voodoo crap. I did not do all of the purchasing, and some of that stuff was there before I arrived. The meat and potatoes lines we sold were the full line of Focal and Dynaudio, CJ, SIM Audio, Wadia, Nordost, PASS, Esoteric, Pro-Ject, Rega, etc. We did acoustic analysis on-site, modeling, custom installs and service. Towards the end we were selling Macs, USB phono stages and helping old guys convert their album collections. Then we got into high end, pro dacs. We were one of the last mom and pops to live until a couple of years ago. There is only one left now....barely. Trust me, we knew our competition. We knew the few rich audiophiles around that would take the free flights and vacations to the big boy shops in NY and FL. We knew what sold here, and we sold well until the economy tanked. 60k weeks went bye-bye.
Old 23rd July 2012
Lives for gear
In my experience (I record for work), using high end cables usually makes a negligible audio improvement (if any) but a big improvement in robustness, shielding and connection reliability. A good high end cable will last many decades. Now I make my own. The robustness and shielding of outside RF is the BIG factor.

High end connectors, high quality cable casements and excellent shielding are all part of high end cables.

I find that most headphone cables are not that robust. An improvement to this would be most welcome. I've re-cabled many of my headphones - more than any other studio gear - headphones get a lot of yanks and abuse.
Old 23rd July 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Sounds like a lot of "audiophiles" have never taken college level physics. Copper is a metal element. Electrons travel in metals the same way. There is no difference in their behavior except according to Ohm's law.
cept they don't travel in the wire but on top of the wire which is why most are multi stranded vs solid copper. Then you have the issues with capacitance of the cable and then Dielectric loss and even the skin effect

most people forget that this stuff can be tested! for example instead of using it for speaker headphone playback try the same concept as a interconnect cable and record 2 passes from prerecorded material crappy cable vs super fantastic cable etc. then null test If silver wire vs copper diff thickness etc. don't null guess what there is a diffrence! and that diffrence is subjective. Best sources are mono without effects to test with.

enjoy
Old 24th July 2012
PDC
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by doulos30 View Post
cept they don't travel in the wire but on top of the wire which is why most are multi stranded vs solid copper. Then you have the issues with capacitance of the cable and then Dielectric loss and even the skin effect

most people forget that this stuff can be tested! for example instead of using it for speaker headphone playback try the same concept as a interconnect cable and record 2 passes from prerecorded material crappy cable vs super fantastic cable etc. then null test If silver wire vs copper diff thickness etc. don't null guess what there is a diffrence! and that diffrence is subjective. Best sources are mono without effects to test with.

enjoy
Skin effect happens at very high frequencies, waaay above the human hearing range. Most books written on this subject support this and say that it should not be affecting audio.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search