The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Need Advice on a 2 track machine Recorders, Players & Tape Machines
Old 27th December 2010
Gear Head

Need Advice on a 2 track machine

So can anyone point me in the right direction on getting a good two track machine. I have an totally rebuilt Ampex mm1200 24 track 2 inch machine and I just need a good machine for bouncing down to. What are some good machines to think of? Where's a good place to look for them? Is 1/4 inch a acceptable way to go, or does it have to be 1/2 inch? Any advice would be much appreciated!

-Ryan
Old 27th December 2010
Lives for gear

Good work on the MM1200... Im a massive fan of these and had both a 16 and 24 at one point.. Rock n roll.. or dums that soudn like rolling thunder..

as far as mix down decks it starts and ends with an ATR 100/102/104..

Studer's can be great, MCi' JH 110b' swith 1/2 head stacks are also a great budget way into this format. Otari MTR10/12's less so desireable but readily acessibly in terms of parts on the greater part and cheaper too.

Forget anthying else if you want and expect it to hang with a bitchin and pimpin MM1200.

Wiggy
Old 27th December 2010
Gear Head

Thanks Wiggy,

Yeah it was a lot of fun tearing apart the MM1200, costly and time consuming, but in the end hopefully worth it. I am actually in the process of gathering gear for a late january tracking session. I have collected all the pre's and compression and mics etc., the last thing on the list is a good tube LDC and a 2 track machine. I'll be tracking through the MM1200 and mixing on my Toft ATB24. This will be the first album I've tracked on my own gear so thats kind of exciting. So the Ampex 100/102/104 are the way to go, what about the older Ampex stuff AG350 440? It should also be mentioned my budget is about $2500 USD. The funny thing I've noticed is that a "great" 24 track machine is less expensive than a "great" 2 track machine even though it has quite a bit less in the way of parts. Go figure. I have also found it hard to find 1/2 inch 2 track machines, I'm starting to wonder if my $2500 will even get me a good machine??
Old 27th December 2010
Lives for gear

Or. . . a KORG DSD machine. Terry Manning likened to to mixing down to a perfectly aligned ATR 1/2".
Old 28th December 2010
Gear Head

yes, a session all tracked to analog tape and mixed down to analog tape through analog gear? *drool*!!

Honestly, you can get some really good results with 1/4", but 1/2" will give you more "resolution"

$2,500 might be a bit light if you need something you can rely on, but it can be found. Otari MTR-10 or MTR-12 can be easily found for that budget, and even 1/2" MTR-12's show up from time to time. You could probably find an MCI JH-110 within that budget, but it might need some work. You'd be lucky to find a Studer or Ampex machine in that budget in time for your project without it needing work.

I know No-Brainer Audio has a few machines available... might give them a call. I see a 1/2" 2-track JH-110 in their current lineup, restored & ready to go, but probably a bit above your budget. They have a few 1/4" machines also that would fall in your budget.

Of course, if you've already gone all the way through that mm1200, you probably already know all this
Old 28th December 2010
Gear Guru

Don't know how rare they are, but the Sony APR-5000 half-inch looks real nice on this chart. heh

Response Curves of Analog Recorders
Old 28th December 2010
Lives for gear

Studer's in my opinion is built like a tank. Otaris, well the MTR15 I've got is a bit...bland.... not that much of that super-tape feel that the others have.... If you've got an mm1200, I doubt you'll like the Otari.
Old 28th December 2010
Gear Guru

if you can live with your 2" being a 21-track, you can always mix to 23 and 24 on the same machine.
Old 28th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianW View Post

I know No-Brainer Audio has a few machines available... might give them a call. I see a 1/2" 2-track JH-110 in their current lineup, restored & ready to go, but probably a bit above your budget. They have a few 1/4" machines also that would fall in your budget.
thanks brian! pm sent to OP.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search