The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Halo with Big Ben...what do you think? Audio Interfaces
Old 27th December 2010
Here for the gear

Halo with Big Ben...what do you think?

Hey everyone!

I'm new to the forum, and didn't see the answer to a purchase I'm pondering:

I'm in the process of pulling together some new gear for a project studio...kinda at the square one stage. I am definitely looking to achieve the best quality that my pockets (and wife) will allow. I'm in the market for a Metric Halo interface. My question is, does it make sense to run that alongside a Apogee Big Ben? I hear great things about the Halo 2882, I'm just wondering if the Big Ben would make a significant contribution to the sound. Any input?

Thanks.
Old 27th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigToneOfMojoe View Post
...does it make sense to run that alongside a Apogee Big Ben?
Negative. MH upgraded the clock in 2D units. Double check with Allen Rowand or BJ Buchalter.
Old 27th December 2010
Lives for gear

You might like to read Dan Lavrys white paper (it's on his site) why external clocks are detrimental to sound quality.
Old 27th December 2010
Gear Maniac

why not buy an atomic clock and tells what you think?
Old 27th December 2010
tkr
Gear Addict
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigToneOfMojoe View Post
Hey everyone!

I'm new to the forum, and didn't see the answer to a purchase I'm pondering:

I'm in the process of pulling together some new gear for a project studio...kinda at the square one stage. I am definitely looking to achieve the best quality that my pockets (and wife) will allow. I'm in the market for a Metric Halo interface. My question is, does it make sense to run that alongside a Apogee Big Ben? I hear great things about the Halo 2882, I'm just wondering if the Big Ben would make a significant contribution to the sound. Any input?

Thanks.
I have tried the Big Ben with the ULN-8. The Big Ben does not improve on the MH. Drop it. Waste of money.

Yours
Old 27th December 2010
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by O.F.F. View Post
You might like to read Dan Lavrys white paper (it's on his site) why external clocks are detrimental to sound quality.
. very nice papers. thanks
Old 27th December 2010
Here for the gear

Thanks, everyone...appreciate the point in the right direction. I'll definitely do the research recommended. Keep an eye out for me, I'll definitely be looking for some input in the future!
Old 27th December 2010
Seems like you've already found your answer, but as everyone says, yeah skip it on any new or 2D-equipped used MH unit. I've tested both ULN8 and 2882+DSP/2D and both perform better on internal clock than any external clock. Audibly better without the band-aid.
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search