The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
R.I.P. Teena Marie... Effects Pedals, Units & Accessories
Old 27th December 2010
Lives for gear

R.I.P. Teena Marie...

Rest In Peace Teena Marie. Another super talented person that's gone to soon.
She just called me two months ago about mixing her new project, I can't believe she's gone.
Old 27th December 2010
Gear Head

R.I.P. Teena Marie...

It's a shame. R.I.P.
Old 27th December 2010
Gear Head

Rest in peace Teena Marie :(
Old 27th December 2010
Lives for gear

natural causes at 54.....too young.
Old 27th December 2010
Omg

r.i.p.
Old 27th December 2010
Gear Guru

:-(
Old 27th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unknown soldier View Post
natural causes at 54.....too young.
That's especially sad.
Always liked her "Lovergirl".
Old 27th December 2010
Lives for gear

She was a big influence in my work....
R.I.P

rsp
Old 27th December 2010
Lives for gear

ohh man...i'm crying..she was great to work with and she was a very cool person..she used to pick me up from LAX in her vinagtage T bird...we just talked a cupple months ago about me mixing her latest album when she finished it..she was one of the most down to earth artists i ever worked with and as i said here before , only 1 of 2 artists i ever worked with who could nail a song in 1 take

blown away just blown away

i still have her messages on my cell phone ..guess i'll transfer them to protools so i can hear her voice when i want to

EDIT: lol tony i just read you post all the way thru..she had called me too..she sounded so up beat and had done some gigs in philly just this past year

tony, anyone speak to doug grigsby?
Old 27th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sigma View Post
ohh man...i'm crying..she was great to work with and she was a very cool person..she used to pick me up from LAX in her vinagtage T bird...we just talked a cupple months ago about me mixing her latest album when she finished it..she was one of the most down to earth artists i ever worked with and as i said here before , only 1 of 2 artists i ever worked with who could nail a song in 1 take

blown away just blown away

i still have her messages on my cell phone ..guess i'll transfer them to protools so i can hear her voice when i want to

EDIT: lol tony i just read you post all the way thru..she had called me too..she sounded so up beat and had done some gigs in philly just this past year

tony, anyone speak to doug grigsby?

I don't know. I wrote to Erik Zobler and he said he spoke with her two days ago. He is really devastated.
Old 27th December 2010
Lives for gear

Most sad. Too young. I always really liked her stuff! R.I.P.
Old 27th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Shepperd View Post
I don't know. I wrote to Erik Zobler and he said he spoke with her two days ago. He is really devastated.
i sent her a dozen roses when she did her show in philly cause i couldn't make it out. tried to see her before she flew out but i had a session... she was excited about her new music..we talked about her daughter Alia

i was sick for a few years and we lost touch after i mixed her 2 independent albums..when we talked this past summer for the first time she was as positive and upbeat as she always seemed

wow ..just blown away man..i know doug grigsby [my friend and her bass player] was tracking stuff for her
Old 27th December 2010
Lives for gear

Wow. R.I.P., Tina. Thanks for your contributions to our lives!
Old 27th December 2010
Deleted User
Real sad here, this stinks, man Loved her music
Old 27th December 2010
Lives for gear

Wow..very sad. Teena was truly right in there with Chaka in the genre..major chops and just dealt out groove.

Love her..
Old 27th December 2010
Lives for gear

i can't impress on anyone here how much she was a true pro in every sense...

her voice and control was in the top tier of the top singers

so glad she passed in her sleep and quickly...
Old 27th December 2010
I was never really familiar with her work, but it's always sad when someone relatively young passes away. And to me, 54 is relatively young.

RIP, Ms Marie.
Old 27th December 2010
really talented lady, my prayers go out for her friends and family
Old 27th December 2010
D K
Lives for gear

Huge talent ..part of the landscape of Funk/R&B..that I came up under..

"Square Biz" was the joint.. and Fire & Desire needs no commentary

very sad...way, way too young... With her and Rick resting at "home" now, you can bet it is funky party where the angels hang right now..

R.I.P T

Great to hear from you guys that worked with her!!
Old 28th December 2010
Lives for gear

we rarely took pictures in the studio.. but i pulled these out that rick james' sister took of us..teena was one of those people who was easy to hug and touch..not only was she a phenomenal artist, she was a great song writer and producer too
Old 28th December 2010
Lives for gear

Thanks for personalizing this thread a bit Mike. Teena was a true talent, incredible vocalist and by all account was a very very sweet person. She will be missed.
Old 28th December 2010
Lives for gear

I imagine most musicians are unaware of the debt they owe her for the rights she won via the lawsuit she was involved in. Thanks for going to bat for us.
Old 28th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bassmankr View Post
I imagine most musicians are unaware of the debt they owe her for the rights she won via the lawsuit she was involved in. Thanks for going to bat for us.
she won the battle but lost the war..because for a number of years no one would sign her
Old 6th January 2011
500 series nutjob

wow so very sad to hear: (~
R.I.P. Teena Marie...
Old 6th January 2011
Lives for gear

i was just on the phone not 20 minutes ago with my buddy, her bass player, who was tracking her new album...

memorial service is coming up and hopefully some gigs in her honor
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search