The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Question regarding I'm Looking Through You.
Old 27th December 2010
Gear Maniac

Question regarding I'm Looking Through You.

Any ideas regarding what was used to play the rhythmic parts on this song?

YouTube - I'm Looking Through You- The Beatles (Rubber Soul)

Sounds like slapping on someones knee or maybe a table or something. I don't have a clue.
Old 27th December 2010
Lives for gear

From The Beatles Bible:

"The Beatles recorded the rhythm track in one take, and later overdubbed vocals and an organ, the latter played by Ringo Starr. Ringo also created a percussive sound by tapping a box of matches with his fingers. The song was completed the following day with vocals and hand claps."

This was their third attempt at recording the song and it's the version that appears on Rubber Soul.

I don't think the Hammond part made it in the final mix.

Cheers,
--
Don
Old 27th December 2010
Gear Maniac

Thanks!
Old 27th December 2010
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by idylldon View Post
I don't think the Hammond part made it in the final mix.
No, it's in there at the end of every chorus ("you're not the same"). Ironically, the timing's a little sloppy. (Maybe Ringo should have hit the keys with his sticks!)
Old 27th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Ringo also created a percussive sound by tapping a box of matches with his fingers.
It's stuff like this that always makes me happy. So many sounds...sometimes all we need is a little more imagination.
Old 28th December 2010
Lives for gear

Are you sure its a Hammond and not a harmonium?
Old 28th December 2010
Lives for gear

From The Beatles Recording Sessions:

Quote:
10 November 1965

The rhythm track of "I'm Looking Through You" . . . was finally made in a way that pleased everybody. The vocals were superimposed the next day, 11 November. The album sleeve credits Ringo as playing Hammond organ on this song but it cannot be heard on the recording, nor is the instrument detailed on the tape box.
From another source:

Quote:
This is the only song on which Ringo plays organ, the same Vox Continental the band had begun using during the Help! sessions on "I'm Down." Ringo merely plays two chords at the end of every verse, repeated over four bars, but the mixing is such that some listeners assume George's lead filigree there is also an organ track. Careful listening and comparison to the first arrangement, however, confirms that Ringo's organ and George's lead guitar are in fact complementing each other.
I think they mean "chorus" here instead of "verse." There are definitely some organ stabs there supporting the guitar.

Does anyone have the original, slower version off of Anthology 2? I think the organ is much clearer in that one.

The plot thickens.

Cheers,
--
Don

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search