The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Telefunken CU-29 "Copperhead" Condenser Microphones
Old 27th December 2010
Gear Nut

Telefunken CU-29 "Copperhead"

Has anyone out there used this mic? Is it any good?
Old 27th December 2010
Lives for gear
I have zero interest in this because...A) I wasn't at all impressed with the AR51 and B) I know this doesn't matter, but it's just butt ass ugly...
Old 27th December 2010
Gear Addict

I heard it at AES. I thought it was a bit dark (in a good way), but again that was on a noisy AES floor. It would probably be great on E Guitar or if you wanted a darker sounding mic for vocals.
Old 27th December 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnkenn View Post
I have zero interest in this because...A) I wasn't at all impressed with the AR51 and B) I know this doesn't matter, but it's just butt ass ugly...
By this logic, I am interested, because:

A. I like mangos

B. I have copper pipes, and my water tastes very good
Old 27th December 2010
Lives for gear

I quite like the looks myself,

But when I see pretty mics I always wonder how much i'm paying just for the visuals...Copper is not cheap!

Waiting for some comments on this mic though

Old 27th December 2010
member no 666

Without commenting on Mangos or waterpipes - I can tell you that the cost of the finish of the mic was not calculated into the selling price [the body parts were, the stuff inside, cable, power supply, etc., etc., etc. - whatever additional the "finish" may have added to the cost wasn't].

I should probably also mention that there was a delay in production, so there are not as many units on the street as there should be. You may get a response to this thread from someone who has tried one - you may not. If you give it a few weeks there will be several hundred units that have been delivered and you stand a much better chance of getting an "owner's opinion"... or perhaps you should consider giving your favorite reseller a call and checking one out [there is bloody little substitute for "personal experience" especially with tools like microphones... which in my world have always been a personal decision based on the aesthetic dictated by the work].

Peace
Old 28th December 2010
Lives for gear

I love the way it looks! Analogue Baby will deffo be trying one out! A dark rich mic would be great on industrial metal recordings.
Old 28th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Why bother even telling us that your not interested in something?

Thats just stupid!

Old 28th December 2010
Lives for gear
Well, screw me...
Old 28th December 2010

I had one for a week and they wanted me to send it back cause they're making some adjustments. I thought the mic sounded great and was not dark at all at my studio. Maybe a little different then the one you heard at AES. I tracked a female Disney artist and the Copperhead killed and I liked it better on her then my 67. Very poppy sounding.
Old 28th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by James 'LA' Lugo View Post
I had one for a week and they wanted me to send it back cause they're making some adjustments. I thought the mic sounded great and was not dark at all at my studio. Maybe a little different then the one you heard at AES. I tracked a female Disney artist and the Copperhead killed and I liked it better on her then my 67. Very poppy sounding.
Thanks for the info on the sound dude, your word on stuff like this is gospel!

As they say in greece, theres nowt wrong with that!
Old 28th December 2010
What's the typical street cost on these units and what kind of value do any of you believe it has?
Old 28th December 2010
Lives for gear
Wow - you must be a real winner to have actually gone to my page, copied my picture and then posted it with pissing monkey avatars. I don't go to your job and knock the balls out of your mouth...

Back on topic, I honestly really didn't like the AR-51 and that's what turned me off on even trying this one. I should probably give it a little more grace considering I liked the AK47...
Old 28th December 2010
Lives for gear

lol

M
Old 28th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Wow - you must be a real winner to have actually gone to my page, copied my picture and then posted it with pissing monkey avatars. I don't go to your job and knock the balls out of your mouth...

Back on topic, I honestly really didn't like the AR-51 and that's what turned me off on even trying this one. I should probably give it a little more grace considering I liked the AK47...

Hey I'm sorry man, was having a bad day! I over slept on christmas day and missed my christmas dinner :-( its been down hill since then.

Can you forgive me?
Old 28th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:

How well would you say it performed compared to your CM7 John?
Old 12th January 2011
We did a 5 hour comparison today between the CU-29 Copperhead, 251e, AR-51, and the AR-513 (an AR-51 with the Titanium CK-13 capsule installed).

The CU-29 surprised us. We knew what to expect from the other three mics because we've used them before, but we didn't really expect the CU-29 to hold it's own as it costs quite a bit less, but it's a beautiful sounding mic! I'll need to listen to the files more tomorrow but we were all very impressed. It was a bit mellower than the AR-51, and seemed to fit somewhere between a 251 and U47 in frequency range. Not too bright, not too dark, and no sibilance issues, so I expect it would work very well as an all-around workhorse mic.
Old 12th January 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by slaphappy View Post
By this logic, I am interested, because:

A. I like mangos

B. I have copper pipes, and my water tastes very good
heh
Old 13th January 2011
Gear Maniac

I stopped by Telefunken's Booth @ the AES & without ever previously trying out any of their mics. I tested my voice on all of the mics they had on display including the Ak-47 & without knowing the prices of any of the mics I ended up picking the Copperhead as my favorite. In fact I liked it so much I just bought one this week! Fyi- pics don't do this beautiful mic justice fuuck Smokey Y.A.E.
Old 14th January 2011
member no 666

Hey - Smokey510 - great news on the CU-29!!

If any one has made it to NAMM there is a setup with all of the mics in a line if anyone would care to repeat that kind of test... I have to say the CU-29 has been getting quite favorable reviews so far... and the comments I've been hearing at the T-funk booth have really been giving me a reason to smile!!! [I kinda coached the product along through the design phase... its pretty cool to hear positive feedback from people trying it and using it!!!].

Peace.
Old 19th January 2011
Gear Maniac

Just got my package yesterday... I can't remember another purchase where i felt like i got more than my money's worth!! heh My 1st REAL mic... A day i will forever remember!!! Time 2 go use this 2 create some classic albums... time 2 walk the walk. Thanks T-Funk! Peace out Gearslutz Y.A.E.
Old 19th January 2011
Here are the clips from our recent Telefunken Mic comparison I mentioned (which included the CU-29 Copperhead, AR-51, AR-513, and 251e):
Telefunken Mic Comparison - Telefunken 251e, AR-51, CU-29 Copperhead, and AR-513 Mics
Old 19th January 2011
Lives for gear

I'm liking the AR-513. What's the story on that? Is it covered in another thread?

Not sure I'd pick any of these for this particular vocalist.

-R
Old 20th January 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by RKrizman View Post
I'm liking the AR-513. What's the story on that? Is it covered in another thread?
-R
It's a brand new variation/mod for the AR-51. I think the one in this test was the first one ever made. You can have the CK-12 (251 capsule or CK-13 (251T) installed in the AR-51 (AR-513 means AR-51 with CK-13 capsule) This increases the total cost to over $3K, but still less than 1/3 the cost of a 251e. If you already own an AR-51 you can have it modded, or you can purchase the complete AR-513 or AR-512. I think this is a great option to help fill that gap between the Telefunken RFT and Diamond Series.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RKrizman View Post
Not sure I'd pick any of these for this particular vocalist.
For the real track on Song1 we used a 251e through a Fatso compressor (compressor made a huge difference) and it turned out very nice. For Song2 we used an ADK CS-47Y-J (Custom shop tube mic with BK-47 capsule and Jensen transformer), which I have always liked on his voice for these types of songs.
Old 20th January 2011
Gear Maniac

did you use the fatso tracking compressor? any warmth/tranny?
Old 20th January 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by tobias schuch View Post
did you use the fatso tracking compressor? any warmth/tranny?
Just to be clear, the clips you heard in the comparison above have no compression, EQ, or anything else. They are just raw tracks through an API preamp.

In the actual album we're working on, we did use the 251e through the Fatso on the "Tracking Comp" setting, "Warmth" at 3, and no tranny. It's a very nice combination on his voice.
Old 12th February 2011
Lives for gear

Hey Fletch. wondering if you could chime in a bit more regarding this mic. In the sound files that have been posted so far the copperhead was compared to the more high end telefunk line, so although it sounded good it didn't really seem to stand out being compared to nice mics 2 or 3 times it's price.

Have you guys got any more sound files on other vocalists or instruments? It looks like it might make a great drum overhead pair that is relatively reasonably priced. Were there any particular instruments during the design phase that you noticed the copperhead really shone on?

I don' think any local dealers here will have it so I kinda rely on sound clips and then have to jump in head first when it comes to new mics.

cheers,

Joel
Old 12th February 2011
member no 666

Here are a couple of sessions you can download to your DAW and play with to your heart's content... they're full on multi-track sessions that employed all T-funk mics TELEFUNKEN Elektroakustik ™ - TELEFUNKEN Multi-Track Session Files

As an added bonus... you can practice your mixing chops at the same time -- I have a feeling most people who read this board don't get a lot of stuff to mix that was tracked by an engineer they don't know - on an artist they never met - or in a room they don't own.

Peace.
Old 12th February 2011
Lives for gear

No luck downloading files from your server ( link above ), very slow at first and then just shut down the connection

Matti
Old 12th February 2011
Lives for gear

I ordered one.... Didn't like it. It was defiantly "Off". Sent it back, supposedly something was wrong with the PSU, but I didn't want to mess with another one.

Got a Peluso 251 instead, been really happy.... Might try one of the 47SE's from them too.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search