The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Telefunken CU-29 "Copperhead" Condenser Microphones
Old 23rd June 2012

I had the first Copperhead that teleusa was sending around as a demo a couple of years ago and instantly loved it. I never forgot about that mic. Fletcher brought one over a couple of weeks ago and it was awesome. I've been using it everyday. I have owned 3 different 87s over the past 20 years or so, new and vintage. I always like the 87 but really struggled with them since moving my studio. Not sure if they just don't agree with my room or my tastes have changed. Either way I'm getting better results rights now with the copperhead. It has the naumenn thang going on for sure. It's a very exciting sounding mic without being bright. It really sounds awesome and for 1300 you can't touch it.
Old 1st October 2012
Lives for gear

I am in the market for a new LDC Tube mic, mostly for vocals. My god those clips sounded good. Finding this thread just complicated my decision making process. Copperhead sounds like a winner. I had been thinking about an AT4060, not so sure anymore ....

Cdlt
Old 2nd October 2012
Lives for gear

Has anybody used two of them on drum overheads? I'm interested in finding an affordable and high quality pair of LDC's to supplement my Mojave 201-Fets (1 was stolen unfortunately). I'm not expecting them to sound like the Mojaves ofcourse. I'm just looking for a quality flavor for multi-purposes. I also have a pair of Beyer MC-930's which I really like. However, it would be great to have a pair of nice LDC's again for rock drums, acoustic, vocals, etc. I appreciate any responses - paul
Old 2nd October 2012
I haven't done drums, but I'm still loving the sound on lead vox - over here, it sets the bar for emotional transfer on any singer that has a great voice (I use a RE15 or something for people who need character instead)

Considering it is a very 3-D detailed and clear mic, I bet it would be good for OH's - I would try it for ya, but I won't be tracking drums for awhile.

There are also some great tracks recorded with all Telefunken mics at their website - you can download the multitracks - not sure if the use the CU-29 on drums, but there is a good variety of sources recorded with it (as well as the rest of their line).

For me the CU-29 is a very special mic.
Old 2nd October 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardtoe View Post
I haven't done drums, but I'm still loving the sound on lead vox - over here, it sets the bar for emotional transfer on any singer that has a great voice (I use a RE15 or something for people who need character instead)

Considering it is a very 3-D detailed and clear mic, I bet it would be good for OH's - I would try it for ya, but I won't be tracking drums for awhile.

There are also some great tracks recorded with all Telefunken mics at their website - you can download the multitracks - not sure if the use the CU-29 on drums, but there is a good variety of sources recorded with it (as well as the rest of their line).

Cool, thanks for the reply If anyone has given them a try on Oh's I'm definitely interested in your impressions. - paul
Old 4th October 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Sounds like it judging by those samples. These are tough decisions for a lot of us as we must weigh mic choices inside of a budget that has to take care of the rest of our gear purchases.

FWIW - I have been loving an old silver 414EB for the past 20 years. If anything I am looking for a contrast from that. Ideally I`d like 2 main vocal mics but would like them to be different in terms of texture both standing alone in a soft mode, but also able to sit nicely inside of a fat multilayered mix. A bonus if it can do the job on flute, brass etc.

Cdlt
Old 5th October 2012
Lives for gear
I mixed a few songs from that T-FUNK site.
Those mics sound GREAT very nice indeed. Most have a 1073 or API console pre,s feeding them. Wonderful sound . There were time when I even picked the CU-29 over higher priced mics. I dont own any T-FUNK mics yet but I hope to soon. For the price I dont hear how any other mic could represent such value and quality. Even if it was alot more.
Old 5th October 2012
Lives for gear

Agreed, the demo files are interesting, just downloaded them and played with the Jackie Green for a few minutes. Copperhead sounds wonderful on vocals (almost feels as if it was printed a bit hotter) - nonetheless really nice and smooth. I must say the C12 - good lord does that thing sound every bit the real "high end". Hats off to TFunk - really nice be able to hear the gear. All right it`s not in my studio (yet - gasp), but it does give you a feel for the texture.

What else do these demos say... performance, room, microphone, etc, etc. I am waiting for anyone to show me that a conversion upgrade can come anywhere near the impact of a carefully selected mic.

Cdlt

Last edited by Melgueil; 5th October 2012 at 10:02 PM.. Reason: add text
Old 29th May 2013
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Ok - I bought this sucker and have been using it for awhile now for tracking vox.

For anyone on the fence - it's simply killer.

Gives world class vocal sound for anywhere you need a detailed, nuanced, 3-D and "real but better" kind of lead.

It's changed my world...

Here is a little clip done with a talented young singer in her first ever recording session.

(chain is a TC Rooster > 1968 ME > Apogee Ensemble)
That clip sounds nice, but the autotune artifact is pretty noticeable eh?
Old 29th May 2013
It was a one hour session with 3 high school students who had never recorded before and I needed to get a song at CD release quality and the singer blew a few key notes that were not easy to repair. Had we more time, I would have had her sing it correctly. (and I'm not such a melodyne pro as I usually work on very different material).

(such as the example in post #74 in which I was demoing a song with an experienced artist to test the copperhead)
Old 5th August 2013
Here for the gear

Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg B View Post
Here are the clips from our recent Telefunken Mic comparison I mentioned (which included the CU-29 Copperhead, AR-51, AR-513, and 251e):
Telefunken Mic Comparison - Telefunken 251e, AR-51, CU-29 Copperhead, and AR-513 Mics
These side by side's were extremely helpful! Thanks bro...
Old 21st September 2013
Gear Head

I had one to test it. It was well manufactured, but the basket was leaning und as i connected the mic, only a few seconds of crackle was sounding and then quiet. The mic was faulty. The basket was not bent by falling. I think it was a production fault.

Greetings from Germany, Thomas
Old 18th April 2014
Gear Addict

Just got one! I havent gotten a lot of 1st hand experience with much different mics, especially in the higher end range but im loving the mic soo far. Right off the bat I noticed that its a lot better and more detailed than my lower end C214. So much detail, it makes me realize how much more acoustic treament I need to work on, in my space. I cant wait to compare with other types of voices. It takes a lot less mixing to fit it in a track as opposed to my previous. I wish it had a LPF on it because I hear the AC thru it but no big deal really. I also would like to do a preamp shootout with it. Im looking for a good preamp in the $500-$700 range to match it up with. Im thinking Daking ito compliment it, any suggestions?
Old 4th May 2014
Lives for gear

Chuy, I bet an API 512c would compliment well.

Has anyone tried this mic against the more expensive AR51?

I have a Sterling ST69 and Neumann TLM 102. Both have graphs, and they sound/look slightly similar to each other. I saw someone here say this mic sounded similarish to the 102. That's not good, as I'd like different mic flavors. Does anyone else agree with it sounding similar to either of the aforementioned mics?
Old 8th May 2014
Here for the gear

greetings guys,

i've lurked this site for years but this is my first official post.

it is racking my brain and stressing me out a ton on choosing my first high end mic.

i am literally torn and exhausted listening to clips and reading reviews. between choosing the Telefunken CU-29 and the Miktek CV4, i can't make up my mind.

I apologize for posting in this thread but it's the only one I see about the Copperhead, and I just do not know how to start a new thread at all.

I'll be extremely grateful for any help or direction. Thanks guys!

Telefunken CU-29 vs. Miktek CV4
Old 8th May 2014
Lives for gear

I demonstrate the CU-29 in this video, with 4 different preamps and 3 other mics. Here's the short version (5 min):
Manley Labs MicMAID Demo (short version) - YouTube
The full version (10 min.):
Manley Labs MicMAID Demo (full version) - YouTube
And the downloadable 24/48 audio clips (16x:30):
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/u9c2cczclqqa5xb/FDb5LrrkRi
Hope that helps!
Old 2nd April 2015
Lives for gear

Anyone using these on the regular? Looking into getting one really hard now!
Old 13th October 2016
I use the CU-29 whenever I want a super detailed holographic impression of the vocalist.

I used it for lead vocal here on a song I recorded and mixed just a couple of weeks back.

The Copperhead is killer for keeping up with Megan's intense and powerful voice with an amazing clarity and warmth.

This is Megan Nash & the Bears in Hazemore, doing Megan’s song “Wait"

​Megan Nash and Bears in Hazenmore Team Up for Tour, Share New Track

(pre is an LA-610)

Last edited by Hardtoe; 13th October 2016 at 04:04 AM..
Old 22nd April 2017
Gear Head

Mr. Fletcher,
After several years on Gearslutz i must just tell you, your comments and recommendations are the one of the most valuable things on this forum, maybe parts of the reason of why i am still staying. Keep on going, you really can help and lead people like me through this misleading business. I am kind of dissapointed by the place where i am living cause i realy wanted to deal with person like you.
Cheers
Leoš

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletcher View Post
Without commenting on Mangos or waterpipes - I can tell you that the cost of the finish of the mic was not calculated into the selling price [the body parts were, the stuff inside, cable, power supply, etc., etc., etc. - whatever additional the "finish" may have added to the cost wasn't].

I should probably also mention that there was a delay in production, so there are not as many units on the street as there should be. You may get a response to this thread from someone who has tried one - you may not. If you give it a few weeks there will be several hundred units that have been delivered and you stand a much better chance of getting an "owner's opinion"... or perhaps you should consider giving your favorite reseller a call and checking one out [there is bloody little substitute for "personal experience" especially with tools like microphones... which in my world have always been a personal decision based on the aesthetic dictated by the work].

Peace
Old 23rd April 2017
member no 666

Quote:
Originally Posted by leolycra View Post
Mr. Fletcher,
After several years on Gearslutz i must just tell you, your comments and recommendations are the one of the most valuable things on this forum, maybe parts of the reason of why i am still staying. Keep on going, you really can help and lead people like me through this misleading business. I am kind of dissapointed by the place where i am living cause i realy wanted to deal with person like you.
Cheers
Leoš
Thank you for the very kind words, they are sincerely appreciated. The fact of the matter is that I retired from the "professional audio industry" back in July of 2011. There just wasn't a place for me anymore that offered any kind of proper compensation for the abject misery / frustration from the trying to beat back the sheer quantity of mis-information [a.k.a. bullchit] about our beloved industry.

Much like the music industry in general [and perhaps global politics as well... but I'm unqualified to comment about global politics, so I won't], those who engage in large commerce and have a commercial agenda have triumphed upon those who are dedicated to the craft. I started to see the writing on the wall sometime around 2007 but thought I might be able to continue the good fight... that illusion was shattered in May / June of 2011... and I finally got around to throwing in the towel in July of 2011.

It now being 2017, I own and run a humble saloon in Suffern, NY. Its called "Plan B" because my original plan was to die with my boots on in the world of professional audio... but unfortunately the industry died before I did so I needed a "plan b" if I was to remain sane [just couldn't deal with the world of bullchit you see on this forum, and in the "industry" in general].

My time with T-funk was a blast!!! My time at Mercenary was a blast!! ...but as a friend point out to me around 1993 [maybe 1994], I'm the kind of guy that is around for a good time, not necessarily a long time. I started my career in professional audio around 1972... it was a great ride, but I'm gone now. My world is about providing food to the locals that is better than they can find in a 20 mile circle, and supporting local craft breweries [some of which are building some really awesome beer... though the local majority of breweries are going for the 'quick buck' via the current trend of 'death by hops'... those breweries do not get my support... but I digress].

I sincerely wish you the best of luck with all you do!!!

I hope you find the power of the passion for superior audio!!! Its such magic when its achieved... and such a beautiful struggle to work toward that goal.

I noticed you are from Prague [one of my favorite cities on the planet!!!!!!!!!!!!]. I have someone I consider a dear friend who lives in Prague. He is an artist, and microphone enthusiast at the highest level of the game. His stage name is Boric Carloff [you can find him on GS as "carlofff"]. Here is a link to his website -- it might be of benefit to you to meet this man, and learn from him, as his knowledge is demonstrably great.

Link = Boris Carloff

Peace
Old 23rd April 2017
Gear Head

Quote:
It now being 2017, I own and run a humble saloon in Suffern, NY. Its called "Plan B" because my original plan was to die with my boots on in the world of professional audio... but unfortunately the industry died before I did so I needed a "plan b"
I'll have to try to stop by next time I'm headed to the in-laws upstate!
Old 24th April 2017
Jtt
Gear Addict

Quote:
Thank you for the very kind words, they are sincerely appreciated. The fact of the matter is that I retired from the "professional audio industry" back in July of 2011. There just wasn't a place for me anymore that offered any kind of proper compensation for the abject misery / frustration from the trying to beat back the sheer quantity of mis-information [a.k.a. bullchit] about our beloved industry.

Much like the music industry in general [and perhaps global politics as well... but I'm unqualified to comment about global politics, so I won't], those who engage in large commerce and have a commercial agenda have triumphed upon those who are dedicated to the craft. I started to see the writing on the wall sometime around 2007 but thought I might be able to continue the good fight... that illusion was shattered in May / June of 2011... and I finally got around to throwing in the towel in July of 2011.

It now being 2017, I own and run a humble saloon in Suffern, NY. Its called "Plan B" because my original plan was to die with my boots on in the world of professional audio... but unfortunately the industry died before I did so I needed a "plan b" if I was to remain sane [just couldn't deal with the world of bullchit you see on this forum, and in the "industry" in general].

My time with T-funk was a blast!!! My time at Mercenary was a blast!! ...but as a friend point out to me around 1993 [maybe 1994], I'm the kind of guy that is around for a good time, not necessarily a long time. I started my career in professional audio around 1972... it was a great ride, but I'm gone now. My world is about providing food to the locals that is better than they can find in a 20 mile circle, and supporting local craft breweries [some of which are building some really awesome beer... though the local majority of breweries are going for the 'quick buck' via the current trend of 'death by hops'... those breweries do not get my support... but I digress].

I hope you find the power of the passion for superior audio!!! Its such magic when its achieved... and such a beautiful struggle to work toward that goal.

I noticed you are from Prague [one of my favorite cities on the planet!!!!!!!!!!!!]. I have someone I consider a dear friend who lives in Prague. He is an artist, and microphone enthusiast at the highest level of the game. His stage name is Boric Carloff [you can find him on GS as "carlofff"]. Here is a link to his website -- it might be of benefit to you to meet this man, and learn from him, as his knowledge is demonstrably great.

Link = Boris Carloff

Peace
We've never met; but I miss you still...

Thank you for all the knowledge and entertainment over the years. Losing you was like losing the Hemingway of gear pimps.

Happy trails and good living to you Sir.
Old 24th April 2017
Quote:

Link = Boris Carloff

Peace
Thank you for your contribution to audio. I use the telefunken copperhead as my main mic in studio every day. For a PRICE that i can afford, its my FAVORITE MIC for my vocals. If you worked on the mic THANK YOU! GREAT WORK!
Old 24th April 2017
Gear Head

Mr Fletcher,

oh, so honest and open speech after my notice. Thank you for that and for recommending me Boris, i know his work and we shares some friends, so it is maybe just a matter of time to meet him presonaly.

Anyway i wish to best luck to you as well, esp. with Plan B asi it could be the option to continue with the passion we all here shares outside the "music industry".

I am looking for this "plan B" as well for couple of years now, but i still did not find the right spot

Sincerely yours

Leoš

Quote:

Link = Boris Carloff

Peace
Old 20th February 2019
Lifespan of the tube?

So I've been reading about and listening to the CU-29 for a couple weeks now, and this thread finally pushed me over the edge to purchase the CU-29 Copperhead. I have a baritone voice, and I'm taking a little gamble that this mic will complement my voice (and hopefully my acoustic Taylor 714CE guitar) well. I use a Great River ME-1NV preamp. I found the mic used in "Great" condition for 850.00 at Guitar Center and ordered it. Fingers crossed that it's a good fit. I've been recording with Rode NT2000, and lately the little Aston Origin. I wanted to get a "real" mic without breaking the bank.

My questions to anyone in the know:

1. What's the lifespan on the NOS tube in the CU-29? I have no idea how old the mic is.
2. Is the tube easily replaceable by the user?
3. Is the tube available to purchase?

Thanks for the info. I have a feeling this mic is going to be really sweet.
Old 21st February 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chadfish View Post
My questions to anyone in the know:

1. What's the lifespan on the NOS tube in the CU-29? I have no idea how old the mic is.
2. Is the tube easily replaceable by the user?
3. Is the tube available to purchase?

Thanks for the info. I have a feeling this mic is going to be really sweet.
Congrats on picking up a Copperhead! To answer your questions:

1. Depending on its age, your microphone will either have a NOS Telefunken 6AK5W or a NOS GE 5654W in it. While I do not have the hard numbers on hand, I can tell you that tubes of this caliber are generally rated at having a lifespan of tens of thousands of hours. That number reflects hours of use not the age of the tube.

2. The tube is socketed and easily changeable.

3. We sell replacement tubes tested specifically for microphone use on our webstore! http://www.store.t-funk.com

If you think your tube is getting noisy or your not sure if it is, your best bet is to give us a call and we can help you out!

Cheers, James
Old 21st February 2019
Thanks for the reply James!

I doubt then that the mic has been used for 10,000 hours, so I should be good to go. I hope it's got on of the original NOS tubes. I'll find out when it arrives in a couple days. Just out of curiosity, what sonic characteristics would one hear when a tube starts to get too old on a mic?

Thanks again,

Chad
Old 22nd February 2019
Lives for gear

This microphone is something VERY special indeed. It is typically the mic I choose for my own voice over a U47, U67, various U87s (ai, vintage, modded vintage). It just flatters my voice in a way I really love. I don’t really know how exactly to describe it. It’s own thing, with some U47, U67, and e lam 251 vibes all apparent a times. Pry it from my cold dead heads
Old 22nd February 2019
Does anyone have a frequency response chart for the CU-29? There isn't one on the Telefunken site, and I can't find one in a Google search.

Thanks
Old 22nd February 2019
Lives for gear

It's a great mic. Last year I experimented with around a dozen condensers in the $1000-2000 range and it ended up being my favorite of the bunch. Aside from a TLM67, I've never worked with anything breaking the $2000 barrier, so I can't really comment about whether it punches about it's price point or not.

Last edited by Shannon Adkins; 23rd February 2019 at 03:49 AM..

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search