The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Telefunken CU-29 "Copperhead" Condenser Microphones
Old 15th August 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbone View Post
Get The TLM 102, you will be surprise how good that mic is......
I agree. I have 2 of these and am constantly amazed by them, and I have plenty of other Neumanns to compare them to.

The TLM102 is Neumann's sleeper... their best kept secret.
Old 15th August 2011
member no 666

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deleted User View Post
Vintage ones will be easy to spot in a few years:

That is hysterical!!

On the bright side it could take 50+ years to get quite that shade of green... seeing as they're rarely exposed to the salt air of NY Harbor that often

Peace
Old 21st November 2011
Here for the gear

Long time reader, first time poster. I've been looking for a new LDC and it looks like it's a toss-up between the Copperhead and the Neumann TLM-49

Anybody have any thoughts on this bout?

MIC will be used for Voice-Over (Animation and Radio) in a voice booth. Using a UA LA-610 MK2

Thanks for your thoughts!

-Dan
Old 22nd November 2011
Here for the gear

So I got in touch with Telefunken today and had some questions answered. I basically asked them what parts were from "overseas"..etc. Here are the answers:

Transformer: Denmark

NOS Telefunken EF95 ($45 for a new one)

Metal work and capsule: Asia

He wouldn't tell me what specific country the capsule was from. tutt

I dunno man...Me thinks China is in the works here...

SAY IT AIN'T SO!
Old 22nd November 2011
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by slaphappy View Post
By this logic, I am interested, because:

A. I like mangos

B. I have copper pipes, and my water tastes very good
Funny
Old 22nd November 2011
member no 666

Quote:
Originally Posted by RadioDanNYC View Post
So I got in touch with Telefunken today and had some questions answered. I basically asked them what parts were from "overseas"..etc. Here are the answers:

Transformer: Denmark

NOS Telefunken EF95 ($45 for a new one)

Metal work and capsule: Asia

He wouldn't tell me what specific country the capsule was from. tutt

I dunno man...Me thinks China is in the works here...

SAY IT AIN'T SO!
I don't know who you talked to there... but please allow me to confirm it for you... the tube was made in Germany, and the capsule was made in China... but hey, that's why its $1400 less expensive than a microphone thats assembled in Chino with American made metal work... that has a both tube and capsule made in the same place as just the capsule in the CU-29.

BTW - see that Apple product you're reading this on? That was "designed in the US, assembled in China". TELEFUNKEN only read a couple of chapters from the "book of Jobs"... so the microphones are assembled in the US... by full blooded and documented US citizens [who are known to play with a "hacky sack" on their lunch break].

The entire R-F-T series was also designed in the US [including the CU-29]... bottom line - if you want "affordable" then you're going to have to make some ethnically difficult decisions... if money isn't actually an issue... then the "Diamond Series" microphones - which were designed in Austria or Germany [in the late 40's - early 50's] and built in the US [by some of those same guys who play "hacky sack" on their lunch break] with parts made in the US except some of the capsules that are made in Germany [in a quiet little village that was formerly part of the GDR] and some of the transformers which are made in Switzerland [at the same factory - from the same blueprints as they were in 1953] are going to be your best new friends.

If money is an issue [which frankly I think it is for pretty much all of us] then you can at least be somewhat pleased that TELEFUNKEN Elektroakustik is vigilant in building as much of their products as is humanly possible / economically feasible in these United States of America.

-- In response to your post before the parts post... I'm afraid I have zero ability to tell you which of the two mics you talked about [TLM-49 or CU-29] will be a better tool for your VO purposes. I would suggest you check them both out [your handle being "RadioDanNYC" would lead me to believe you're in NYC... and if I'm not mistaken - B&H Photo should have both units in stock] in your you VO room, at your leisure and make a decision based on how the sound of each tool couples with your voice for your specific applications.

Peace
Old 19th January 2012
Lives for gear

Very nice mic ... (just trying it

Old 17th February 2012
Any more reports from users out there - seriously thinking about jumping on this train after hearing some samples....
Old 18th April 2012
Ok - I bought this sucker and have been using it for awhile now for tracking vox.

For anyone on the fence - it's simply killer.

Gives world class vocal sound for anywhere you need a detailed, nuanced, 3-D and "real but better" kind of lead.

It's changed my world...

Here is a little clip done with a talented young singer in her first ever recording session.

(chain is a TC Rooster > 1968 ME > Apogee Ensemble)
Attached Files

Copperhead VOX.mp3 (1.06 MB, 5139 views)

Old 18th April 2012
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardtoe View Post
...detailed, nuanced, 3-D and "real but better"...
That has been my experience, as well. At once closest to the sound of the singer in the room, while still being present, detailed and enhanced.

The only thing I sometimes miss as a bit more proximity effect. I find singers have to get very close in to bring out that flavor of size.

In every shootout with clients, this mic has been at or near the top as their preference, as well.

[Edit: I also wanted to tell you I think the track sounds great. She has a great voice]

Last edited by at4033; 18th April 2012 at 09:42 PM..
Old 18th April 2012
member no 666

Due respect... you can create a little "proximity effect" with a little low frequency shelving EQ. Personally the Avalon 2055 is one of my favorites for doing that but as always... YMMV.

Peace
Old 18th April 2012
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletcher View Post
Due respect... you can create a little "proximity effect" with a little low frequency shelving EQ. Personally the Avalon 2055 is one of my favorites for doing that but as always... YMMV.

Peace
Of course I can.
Old 19th April 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Ok - I bought this sucker and have been using it for awhile now for tracking vox.

Gives world class vocal sound for anywhere you need a detailed, nuanced, 3-D and "real but better" kind of lead.

It's changed my world...

Here is a little clip done with a talented young singer in her first ever recording session.

Nice and warm, very detailed.
Old 19th April 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beyersound View Post
Nice and warm, very detailed.
Ya, and I usually record more indie/roots stuff, which the CU-29 also excels at capturing.

Here is a totally unprocessed clip captured when I was testing out the mic with my friend Melanie (her artist name is Belle Plaine)

(Chain - Pre73 / Apogee Enesmble)
Attached Files

Mel Copperhead.mp3 (1.44 MB, 5051 views)

Old 19th April 2012
Holy Crap, I'm sold!
Old 20th April 2012
Gear Maniac

Nice to see this thread pop up again. The CU-29 has interested me since it came out, and what I've heard has sounded great (including the great examples here!) though obviously they don't seem to be talked about a ton. In the next few months I'm looking to get a brighter mic to be a counterpart to the SM7b that wins a large majority of vocal mic shootouts for recordings here. I'm between getting a CU-29 or saving for a used U87, which will go into the 1073MPF I'll be picking up this weekend. Not that they're the same mic or trying to be, I just can't get both around the same time. The CU-29 seems to be relatively neutral sounding for a condenser mic, maybe not even as drastic of a difference/bright enough to be a counterpart for the SM7b. Hm hm hm.
Old 20th April 2012
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgimbel View Post
...The CU-29 seems to be relatively neutral sounding for a condenser mic, maybe not even as drastic of a difference/bright enough to be a counterpart for the SM7b...
FWIW, I own both and I find that they sound quite different. The CU-29 can be quite bright, though not spitty or harsh (for some sources I do have to place it a bit off-axis to temper the top). Another difference I hear is this: I always hear a touch of grit with the SM7B. I find the CU-29 to be quite clean.
Old 20th April 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:

It's changed my world...

Wow, that copperhead is quite nice on her voice!! I'm sure the Rooster is no slouch.

Man, I've had my AR-51 for some time now. I've never used it outside of cardioid. I'm actually considering doing a trade in...anyone think I'm crazy???
Old 20th April 2012
Lives for gear

Those clips sound really good. Seems like a really balanced microphone that isn´t trying to be something else than itself. Good price as well!
I´m always on the fence about parts from china. On one hand I distrust Asian parts a little because it´s budget and I would buy a Gefell blind and have a really good feeling about it. On the other hand I wonder what difference it would actually make if someone used a Chinese body or powersupply or used a "tuned" Chinese capsule instead of one that was made proper out of the box. Do you pay for the comfort of having a Rolls Royce, knowing you don´t even have to think about the builder having made any or no compromises? Or do you pay for actual audible quality differences.
I gotta say those clips sound as good as any microphone out there.
Old 20th April 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slikjmuzik View Post
Wow, that copperhead is quite nice on her voice!! I'm sure the Rooster is no slouch.

Man, I've had my AR-51 for some time now. I've never used it outside of cardioid. I'm actually considering doing a trade in...anyone think I'm crazy???
I picked the Copperhead from several shortlisted mics based on the clips from the Jackie Green mutiltrack session you can download from the T-Funk website.

TELEFUNKEN-ELEKTROAKUSTIK.COM | TELEFUNKEN Elektroakustik™ - Multi-Track Sessions

I found that all the various mics they offer sound great in various ways - Elam 250, u47, c12, etc, but that the Copperhead had its own unique sound signature that was very realistic and holographic - I actually though that this quality was closest to the u47 in depth, but the overall freq presentation is quite different.

I didn't really have enough cash to buy the others, but even so, for the Jackie Green song, I thought that CU-29 gave a quality that none of the other beautiful mics captured. Its is a special mic with something unique to offer- the affordability is just a bonus.

I feel like telefunken-elektroakustik was trying to prove a point with this mic, and you know, I think that they did just that...

It does match very nicely with the Rooster though - it does not sound as fine through the pres on the Ensemble - the pre73 also is great.

To me it seems to like a pre with a little personality as it's a very clean sounding mic, and easy to blend various flavours with it superb natural sound.

For jgimbel, I think this is a great mic to pair with an SM7 for a variety of sound while tracking vox - I often go for natural, big and detailed with the Copperhead, and punchy, solid, intense from the Shure.

I have tracked a lot of different vocalists and if one doesn't work the other will give you something very usable.
Old 24th April 2012
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by at4033 View Post
FWIW, I own both and I find that they sound quite different. The CU-29 can be quite bright, though not spitty or harsh (for some sources I do have to place it a bit off-axis to temper the top). Another difference I hear is this: I always hear a touch of grit with the SM7B. I find the CU-29 to be quite clean.
That's wonderful, thanks so much for contributing that. Bright but not absurdly harsh and somewhat clean is exactly what I want. I often use something like a 4050 in these cases and while I really love that mic in a lot of places and it can be closer to what I want than the SM7 when the sound is right, it just doesn't sound quite there to me for vocals. The CU-29 just moved up on my list a bit. I've got a long-term client coming back mid-summer and I'd like to have a brighter mic by then to try out for his vocals. He sings very, very quietly and the SM7 can get just a bit noisy/dirty with the gain cranked up with compression. I like the 4050 better in this condition but again, just doesn't sound all the way there to me.

The Copperhead does have some sex appeal that doesn't hurt either.
Old 24th April 2012
member no 666

Feel free to give me a shout if you'd like to borrow one for the session... its a killer sounding mic that we've been having a lot of fun with here. We did a "multi-track session" with the Olympic Ass Kickin' Team for T-funk that we hope to have delivered to them in the next couple / three weeks [logistic struggle on getting the final guitar solo overdub finished... but we should be there soon].

We used the CU-29 in a ton of applications... from "Kik Out" to all kinds of vocals... and some of the guitars as well. I think it was also the mic for the "bass mic" track but I'd have to check my notes to be 100% positive.

Peace
Old 24th April 2012
Lives for gear
That clip is a great advert for the mic...sounds great...
Old 24th April 2012
Lives for gear

Thank you for the sound clips. I'm listening on my new laptop speakers, my second pair of Equator D-5s, it was great hearing your demo. For a forum about sound there is way too much talk and not enough demonstrated performance IMHO.

With all that said I'd love to hear this T-Funk model pitted against a Blackspade UM17R. The UM17R actually has a Thiersch capsule in it and is built by AMI. I've been impressed with how AMI has built their reputation by building great stuff rather than trying to be a clone builder.

The UM17R is $1999 and is built into a Chinese manufactured body like the T-Funk model so they are in the same price range.

Anybody compared these yet?

Good music to all!
Old 10th June 2012
Gear Addict

my CU-29 will be arriving on Tuesday !!

bought it blind - if it fails on my male vocals I'm coming after you Fletcher !!!
Old 19th June 2012
Gear Addict

ok Fletcher....

you will be pleased to know, your off the hook

I bought this as my first real mic last week and have been completely blown away by it.

It's tubey warm sounding, has a beautiful frequency balance, without the harsh hyped highs, really detailed midrange and the lows are really controlled and smooth. It doesnt have the proximity effect I am used to hearing either, that's not a bad thing.

Also, recorded acoustic guitar through it and that sounds great.

I have not needed to eq my vocals much at all as I am not hearing the usual resonances that I used to hear using the rode nt1.... Man I used to spend hours eq-ing that piece of **** to try and get a usable vocal sound !

Man, when I compare the two together now I cannot believe I actually recorded with it for so long.

Old 19th June 2012

We've been using a Copperhead here all day, awesome mic.
Old 19th June 2012
member no 666

Fergies Watch -- I don't know how to tell this... but you're screwed. Now you have experienced some serious audio... you're going to get greedy for it and get into a never ending spiral of wanting better and better tools.

Sorry to break it to you... perhaps there should be a warning label on the box.

Peace
Old 19th June 2012
Gear Addict

tell me about it....

Now, next up will be the Retro channel strip or the fink audio cs1

then I will have my cake and eat it boyo

I want morrrrrrrrrrreeeeee tubessssss !!!!

Old 23rd June 2012
Gear Maniac

Anyone have any thoughts on the Copperhead vs. a U87?

I've got a big project ending soon so I've got a chunk coming my way. I'm still short on a really nice vocal mic to use for some voices that the SM7b isn't working for (female vocals, some male vocals that get really dulled by the SM7b). Now for me is the debate over saving up for a used U87 (this chunk isn't quite large enough to get me there yet, about halfway there) or getting this Telefunken (Kind of looking at the Blackspade UM17 too). I could imagine both being sometimes bright, potentially having similar strengths and weaknesses. The singer I mentioned in an earlier post is coming back late summer, and he is a very quiet singer, but singing over music that ranges from folky acoustic to somewhat dense, noisy indie rock. I've used the SM7b on him and the combination of needing a good bit of gain with his quiet singing, which smoothing out high end just makes it a pain to mix. So we used a 4050 on his last EP, which worked but didn't wow me. I'm thinking the U87 or Copperhead could be good mics for this situation, where the brightness doesn't really risk getting terribly harsh because the mic is rarely being pushed at all. He's far from the only singer I'll be using whichever mic I end up with on so I'm wanting a nice mic that works on a few things rather than just the mic that works PERFECTLY for this one situation alone.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search