The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Telefunken CU-29 "Copperhead" Condenser Microphones
Old 12th February 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by soundeq View Post
I ordered one.... Didn't like it. It was defiantly "Off". Sent it back, supposedly something was wrong with the PSU, but I didn't want to mess with another one.
I don't think the recordings of the Copperhead I posted above were "off". At least everyone in the session was really impressed with it. With all mic companies there will always be a bad egg now and then from shipping damage or some human error. I think in another thread you mentioned your damaged Copperhead had a harsh high end, but the Copperhead I've used is very smooth and balanced. The AR-51 is brighter than the Copperhead, as you can hear in the clips.
Old 13th February 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletcher View Post
Here are a couple of sessions you can download to your DAW and play with to your heart's content... they're full on multi-track sessions that employed all T-funk mics TELEFUNKEN Elektroakustik ™ - TELEFUNKEN Multi-Track Session Files

As an added bonus... you can practice your mixing chops at the same time -- I have a feeling most people who read this board don't get a lot of stuff to mix that was tracked by an engineer they don't know - on an artist they never met - or in a room they don't own.

Peace.
Cool thanks, I'll keep them out. I re-listed to the vocal clips posted and I quite like the copperhead (was listening on headphones the first time) but I'd like to hear it on some other sources.

joel
Old 13th February 2011
member no 666

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matti View Post
No luck downloading files from your server ( link above ), very slow at first and then just shut down the connection

Matti
I saw your post and shot an email with the link to the "webmaster" for T-funk - below is the note he shot back. This is the maiden voyage with this kind of thing, it might take a bit to work some of the bugs out.

Quote:
I suspect it is due to his location, or, more precisely, whatever his Internal service is in Finland. These are large files (40MB, 224MB, 149MB, 140MB, 342MB, 105MB, and 223MB), so they are going to take a while even on a fast broadband connection.

One thing I can do is set up another sharepoint on a different server, and list an alternate connection for each file. That way, if one connection is slow, users can try the other. It will take me a little while to set this up, but I should be able to get it up soon.
Old 13th February 2011
Lives for gear

I have a cable connection with enough speed for big downloads,
I´ll try again and report if problems

Regards

Matti

Edit. Now with success, not with all 7 files the same time, only 6 of the Jackie Greene ones downloading the same time or it won´t happen
Old 14th February 2011
Lives for gear

I downloaded the "jackie" WAV's. Have to say I loved the coppertone on his voice the most. It seems like I hear more of the room in that mic than any of the other vocal mics. is there a reason for that?

Also, FWIW there was no coppertone on any drum mics that I could see.

If anyone has any clips of it on drums let me know.

cheeeeerrrrrrrrsssss

joel
Old 14th February 2011
Lives for gear

Actually, not to derail the thread, but I do online drum tracks for people, so if anyone has good suggestions for meatier pair of drum overheads that would be great. I have a pair of AKG 451e's I just love, but they are having issues and on this recent session I had to use my Beyer MC930's. They are OK (great on other stuff actually) but I don't like them for drum overheads so much, but it was my best alternative. Would love to get some tube mics to try. Here is a quick clip of the rough mix of the drum track with my Beyers. OK enough but not great.

the copperheads look nice and are in my price range, so very curious....heh
Attached Files

drum sample.mp3 (620.6 KB, 3563 views)

Old 14th February 2011
member no 666

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matti View Post
I have a cable connection with enough speed for big downloads
From the T-funk web guru...

Quote:
I have set up an alternate server space for the multi-track files (different server and location), so users can choose either location to download these big files for faster download if one server is very busy at any time.

I just tested both connections, downloading the electric guitar zip (148MB) from each. The new alternate server was much faster for my test, at 1 minute 44 seconds, vs 4 minutes 44 seconds on the primary server (although your mileage may vary at any given time). That makes sense in that it's a backup server. So I made the faster connection the "primary" and the slower connection the "alternate" for these files.
I hope this helps solve the problem... and perhaps gives you better access to the files.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoFo View Post
Actually, not to derail the thread, but I do online drum tracks for people, so if anyone has good suggestions for meatier pair of drum overheads that would be great.
Meatier? - check out the AR-70... I don't know if it will be worth a damn for your application or not... but it will definitely be "meatier" than a pair of 451's [as will a pair of CU-29's... but the AR-70 really has a "mojo" to it... at least in my world, YMMV]... and with the AR-70 you won't have "phase coherence" issues you might have with a pair of 451's. The cool thing is you can even do M/S with it... and while that may not be optimal for drum overheads - it can be absolutely KILLER out a couple / tree meters from the front of the kit!!!

You might want to have a talk with your regular advisor / pimp and try a few things over the course of a couple / 8 weeks and try to figure out what will work best for the application given the sound you're trying to achieve - ceiling height - amount of "room" you want in the OH tracks... etc., etc., etc.

Peace
Old 14th February 2011
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg B View Post
Here are the clips from our recent Telefunken Mic comparison I mentioned (which included the CU-29 Copperhead, AR-51, AR-513, and 251e):
Telefunken Mic Comparison - Telefunken 251e, AR-51, CU-29 Copperhead, and AR-513 Mics
love the top end of that 513
Old 15th February 2011
Lives for gear

I am currently mixing a song with BV tracks recorded with the CU-29 in SF during AES weekend by a Telefunken endorsee. It is a very honest sounding mic, and from what I have heard so far it stacks up really nicely when using a lot of multi-tracked parts. There is no "Chinese mic syndrome" style sibillant top end, it sounds like a classic German mic to me. Great midrange mojo, and a nice touch of air.
Old 16th February 2011
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by James 'LA' Lugo View Post
I had one for a week and they wanted me to send it back cause they're making some adjustments.
I was going to buy one of these from my local dealer (who received its shipment in December, I think), but now I'm concerned there's some bad batch sitting out there. Was there a batch recalled by Telefunken? How can I tell if the one I'm going to buy is one that needs "adjustments"?

By the way, I did a side by side demo of this mic with the other TF mics at a Tele demo in November at my dealer and I thought the Copperhead sounded wonderful. Great balance of low and high end.
Old 16th February 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ric4001 View Post
I was going to buy one of these from my local dealer (who received its shipment in December, I think), but now I'm concerned there's some bad batch sitting out there. Was there a batch recalled by Telefunken? How can I tell if the one I'm going to buy is one that needs "adjustments"?

By the way, I did a side by side demo of this mic with the other TF mics at a Tele demo in November at my dealer and I thought the Copperhead sounded wonderful. Great balance of low and high end.
I think James was talking about having a first run model, he is a guy whose opinion they respect, and T-Funk surely had an improvement/design change. I wouldn't worry, Telefunken is an excellent company that makes it easy to reach a real person when you need to for help/service. I'm sure Fletcher can tell you more about that.

I am really happy with the BV tracks (lot and lots of them!) on the song I'm finishing up that were recorded with the CU-29. Really outstanding sounding mic. I am now looking forward to mixing the LV on the next two songs that were recorded with the AK-47 II. The others were done with a Peluso 2247SE, really curious to hear the difference!
Old 16th February 2011
Gear Head

I just used my CU-29s for the first time on Monday. Sounded great on the male vocalist - capturing his deep/rich baritone voice in a very natural way. The top end was smooth without any harshness and had some nice air. On acoustic guitar, well, they sounded good but maybe a tad too midrangey for the particular song we were working on.
Old 16th February 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
I don't think the recordings of the Copperhead I posted above were "off". At least everyone in the session was really impressed with it. With all mic companies there will always be a bad egg now and then from shipping damage or some human error. I think in another thread you mentioned your damaged Copperhead had a harsh high end, but the Copperhead I've used is very smooth and balanced. The AR-51 is brighter than the Copperhead, as you can hear in the clips.
Great Test you felllows did , totally impressed with the copperhead mic , The AR513 was excellent too ! I would lean towards those 2 for a purchase in my production style . They are pretty close to each other in quality but with slightly different coloration's or frequency accents . I would say the Copperhead holds it own vs the 251

From that clip the CU did NOT have any harsh hi end at all , in fact the opposite . Great job T-funk as well !
Old 17th February 2011
"The R-F-T line of tube condenser microphones utilizes American designed electronics in conjunction with New Old Stock tubes and standardized parts from overseas manufacturers."

Just curious, what exactly is meant by 'made overseas'? Europe? Asia?
Old 17th February 2011
member no 666

Yes.

Some are from Europe, some are from Asia... at the end of the day its what comes out of the XLR connector that matters most, not the origin of the parts.

Peace.
Old 17th February 2011
True... very true.

But another could say, "At the end of the day, all that matters is which country is skidding towards bankruptcy".

You say potato, I say tomato.
Old 18th February 2011
member no 666

Most countries are skidding towards bankruptcy... when I lived in the EU it seemed like 1/2 of the countries were on their way, all of them had higher unemployment rates than the year before and none were "debt free"... the long and the short of it is that no one little piss ant microphone manufacturer is going to make a **** load of difference in the grand scheme of the global economy... but all of the parts, from all the various countries from which they've been collected, are assembled by documented American workers in South Windsor, Connecticut... which last I looked was part of the United States.. which as you may have heard on Fox News is also an imminently bankrupt country.

If we could leave the geo-political stuff alone and get back to the regularly scheduled pogrom it would probably be appreciated by most involved.

Peace.
Old 18th February 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletcher View Post
the long and the short of it is that no one little piss ant microphone manufacturer is going to make a **** load of difference in the grand scheme of the global economy...
Yeah, I expected a response like that...everyone justifies it cuz everyone else is doing it. Capitalism eating itself.

...but as you say, here is not the place.
Old 18th February 2011
Gear Maniac

nice looking mic, nice price..I will bite!
Old 18th February 2011
Lives for gear

Overseas... you are

Matti
Old 22nd March 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Here are the clips from our recent Telefunken Mic comparison I mentioned (which included the CU-29 Copperhead, AR-51, AR-513, and 251e):
Telefunken Mic Comparison - Telefunken 251e, AR-51, CU-29 Copperhead, and AR-513 Mics
THANKS GREG ! I compared the vocal only between the 251e and CU-29 Copperhead and thought that the CU-29 sounded more natural !
Old 22nd March 2011
Lives for gear

the stupid banner ads playing on here are enough to turn me off this microphone... and perhaps that whole company.
I took telefunken seriously until one of their rude reps treated me like a piece of **** at Nashville namm for asking how long their latest U67 had been in production. (shame on me i know for not knowing that )
now they are definitely loosing all credibility with me if they need to resort to these 'trend marketing' styles to market what i was hoping would be a great product at a reasonable price.

(edit: I should add, that the only redeeming factor they seem to have for me is that Fletcher is still with them heh )
Old 3rd July 2011
Gear Head

So what's the verdict on this mic and how does it stock up against similarly priced competition? I've been back and forth as to whether I should put in an order or not.
Old 13th August 2011
Gear Maniac

Bringing this thread back from the dead-some positive reviews here. I'm about to purchase my first decent LDC, and the Copperhead is at the top of my list (AND price range).

I'd be using the mic primarily for male rock vocals, while also doing some utility work on guitar/bass cab, and maybe as a front of kick or drum room mic.

My choices I've narrowed down to are (from most to least expensive)...
T-Funk Copperhead
Mojave MA-200 or 201
TLM 102

I'm torn between getting the Copperhead, or possibly getting a pair of TLM 102 or MA-201 for about the same $$$.

I'm currently using SM-7 for vocals (which I like, but I also want a LDC flavor) and Oktava 012's for drum overheads (which I am also content with).

I appreciate any opinions from real world users.

Thanks
Old 13th August 2011
Gear Maniac
I like my Copperhead. Have used it with acoustic guitar and vocals with great results. I like the sound of the TLM102, but mine developing a sputtering noise within a few months after purchase, which makes me concerned about the quality they are putting into that mic to reach that price point. Never tried the MA200. So I would vote for the Copperhead. I actually think the Copperhead has a similar tone signature to the TLM102 in that the high end and low end is very well balanced (not favoring either), so I think the mic can handle a lot of different sources well.
Old 13th August 2011
Deleted User
Vintage ones will be easy to spot in a few years:

Old 13th August 2011
Lives for gear

Yeah!

Matti
Old 13th August 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by BB Edwards View Post
Bringing this thread back from the dead-some positive reviews here. I'm about to purchase my first decent LDC, and the Copperhead is at the top of my list (AND price range).

I'd be using the mic primarily for male rock vocals, while also doing some utility work on guitar/bass cab, and maybe as a front of kick or drum room mic.

My choices I've narrowed down to are (from most to least expensive)...
T-Funk Copperhead
Mojave MA-200 or 201
TLM 102

I'm torn between getting the Copperhead, or possibly getting a pair of TLM 102 or MA-201 for about the same $$$.

I'm currently using SM-7 for vocals (which I like, but I also want a LDC flavor) and Oktava 012's for drum overheads (which I am also content with).

I appreciate any opinions from real world users.

Thanks
Get The TLM 102, you will be surprise how good that mic is......
Old 13th August 2011
Gear Addict

I own 3 of the mics you mention: Copperhead, MA-200 and SM7B.

The MA-200 is a very nice mic that sits in mixes with little fuss. The same is true of the Copperhead. The biggest difference I hear is that the Copperhead has more attitude and personality, and it pops out of my speakers in a way no other mic in my locker does. By comparison, I hear the MA-200 as a bit more subdued.

On a session I did last week, we tried a bunch of mics on the singer (female). The final 3 choices were a Soundelux E49, MA-200 and the Copperhead. The E49 was very flattering, but the Telefunken sounded the most like her in the room - just bigger, with more authority. On another singer (with a nasal voice) the Copperhead won out over 10 mics (2nd choice was an R84).

So far, the Copperhead has worked wonderfully on everything I've put in front of it. On a sidenote, the shock mount is better than most I've used in this price range.
Old 14th August 2011
Gear Maniac

Thanks for the responses guys, keep em coming!

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search