The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Need Help/Advice on new gear!! Condenser Microphones
Old 26th December 2010
  #1
Gear Maniac
 
BCAUTS's Avatar
 

Need Help/Advice on new gear!!

Hey Guys Happy Holidays!

Sooo, I am using a 003+ rack with 8 pres..I have a SM7B, SM57, AKG120, and the PGDMK6 Shure Drum Mic Bundle. I have about 1300 dollars to spend and/or save on gear at the moment. I am not very sure what to do I really was hoping to start an outboard gear rack, very interested in the UA 4-710d but that costs more than I have at the moment. I also have been interested in grabbin a telecaster along with some mics..I guess what i am asking is should i save money for outboard gear such as a mic pre? Orrrr get a couple mics and a telecaster? Ive been looking at mics such as ksm141, akg414, ksm184, M160. Please help.
Old 26th December 2010
  #2
If you need a guitar I would say get a telecaster for sure. Check out some strats if you want too. If you buy a MIM version you will have some spair cash for a mic.
Old 26th December 2010
  #3
Gear Maniac
 
BCAUTS's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gruenburger View Post
If you need a guitar I would say get a telecaster for sure. Check out some strats if you want too. If you buy a MIM version you will have some spair cash for a mic.
I hve been looking at this tele..Fender Blacktop Telecaster HH | Sweetwater.com

i am predominately a drummer but the only thing my studio does not have is an electric guitar and i neeed one badddd. So if i got this i would still have a good amount of cash for mics.
Old 27th December 2010
  #4
Gear Maniac
 
BCAUTS's Avatar
 

anyone else?
Old 27th December 2010
  #5
Lives for gear
 
bash's Avatar
 

Just an FYI that the Blacktop Series is a departure for Fender. While the body shapes may look familiar, the models are all outfitted with humbucking pickups and will sound nothing like a standard Strat/Tele/Jaguar. That's only to say that if you advertise your studio as having one of those models for use, it will be somewhat of a surprise for most players expecting one with the standard single-coil setup.
Old 27th December 2010
  #6
Lives for gear
If you need a guitar....get the guitar haha...otherwise an outboard pre would be my next suggestion.

Edit: You could probably get away with getting something like the Focusrite ISA One Digital for a single good mic pre, and maybe a better kick mic...
Old 27th December 2010
  #7
Lives for gear
 
Mr.HOLMES's Avatar
I find it funny what I can do with compression in parallel to make the low end sit.
So compressors software or hardware are magic toys and just saved my world tonight .... nice tools.

May you like to invest in a nice HW comp does not has to be high end stuff to get something for the money.
May you watch into DBX which just made my base-line sit well this night, or you watch into a nice G SSL Bus clone around 400 $$

Bussing out a base/kick/toms to two different compressors can make a difference how you shape the sound.
Or bussing the kick into 3 different ways limiting / compression / saturation can be fun in blending.

I am still learning to blend sounds in parallel with different dynamic tools but I feel it helps much more than trying to get there with inserting stuff over and over.

May you watch into a UAD2 card the UAD stuff for real can shape sound.
Or you split your money on one real HW comp and a UAD2 duo card so you get best of both worlds.heh
Old 27th December 2010
  #8
Lives for gear
 
Hammer Mark's Avatar
Is your space treated at all? If not, mics and pres may not make the kind of difference you're hoping for. If it is, a good all-purpose LDC is a good call. I've seen the BLUE Kiwi in the classifieds here at a very reasonable price (~$900). I have one and it's excellent on many sources. Of course the 414 you're considering is a fine choice as well and can be had for less.

If you'd prefer to go the mic pre route, you might consider a 500 series frame and a single pre like an API 512, an A Designs P1, or any number of others. The initial outlay will be a little high per channel, but later channels can be added or swapped cost effectively.
Old 27th December 2010
  #9
Gear Maniac
 
BCAUTS's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bash View Post
Just an FYI that the Blacktop Series is a departure for Fender. While the body shapes may look familiar, the models are all outfitted with humbucking pickups and will sound nothing like a standard Strat/Tele/Jaguar. That's only to say that if you advertise your studio as having one of those models for use, it will be somewhat of a surprise for most players expecting one with the standard single-coil setup.
does it sound terrible? what about the standard tele? http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/TeleSTMAWH
Old 27th December 2010
  #10
Gear Maniac
 
BCAUTS's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammer Mark View Post
Is your space treated at all? If not, mics and pres may not make the kind of difference you're hoping for. If it is, a good all-purpose LDC is a good call. I've seen the BLUE Kiwi in the classifieds here at a very reasonable price (~$900). I have one and it's excellent on many sources. Of course the 414 you're considering is a fine choice as well and can be had for less.

If you'd prefer to go the mic pre route, you might consider a 500 series frame and a single pre like an API 512, an A Designs P1, or any number of others. The initial outlay will be a little high per channel, but later channels can be added or swapped cost effectively.
yea my rooms are treated. 512 is a little pricey for a single pre, and id have to get the lunchbox along with it. im looking something along the lines of a 2-4 channel mic pre if i did get one.
Old 27th December 2010
  #11
Lives for gear
 
bash's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCAUTS View Post
does it sound terrible? what about the standard tele? http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/TeleSTMAWH
I have no idea what a Blacktop sounds like, probably pretty good considering it's yet another effort by Fender to convert traditional Gibson-style guitar players to Fender. But if it were me, I'd get a plain old vanilla Tele like the one in your second link. Really, though, it depends on how heavy the music is you're producing. Humbuckers are generally less articulate and more powerful than single coil pickups. For clean to overdrive I prefer singles, and for balls to the wall power and sustain, I prefer humbuckers. Find a guitar sound you like on a recording and research what was used. That's a good way to begin.
Old 27th December 2010
  #12
GuitarCenter

I own this stratocaster and I love it. You should try it out at your nearest guitarcenter. It has a laminated neck and hotter pickups I believe.

I think telecasters sound gorgeous, but they are a one trick pony. Just go try a bunch of guitars out and pick one you really like. And please...dont get that telecaster with the humbuckers lol
Old 28th December 2010
  #13
Gear Maniac
 
BCAUTS's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bash View Post
I have no idea what a Blacktop sounds like, probably pretty good considering it's yet another effort by Fender to convert traditional Gibson-style guitar players to Fender. But if it were me, I'd get a plain old vanilla Tele like the one in your second link. Really, though, it depends on how heavy the music is you're producing. Humbuckers are generally less articulate and more powerful than single coil pickups. For clean to overdrive I prefer singles, and for balls to the wall power and sustain, I prefer humbuckers. Find a guitar sound you like on a recording and research what was used. That's a good way to begin.
Lately I have been doing a lot of pop-punk/hardcore/rock bands so ive been doing heavier stuff, so are you saying humbuckers are better for heavier styles, or should i Lean towards single coils?
Old 28th December 2010
  #14
Lives for gear
 
BradLyons's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammer Mark View Post
Is your space treated at all? If not, mics and pres may not make the kind of difference you're hoping for. If it is, a good all-purpose LDC is a good call. I've seen the BLUE Kiwi in the classifieds here at a very reasonable price (~$900). I have one and it's excellent on many sources. Of course the 414 you're considering is a fine choice as well and can be had for less.

If you'd prefer to go the mic pre route, you might consider a 500 series frame and a single pre like an API 512, an A Designs P1, or any number of others. The initial outlay will be a little high per channel, but later channels can be added or swapped cost effectively.
If there is a Kiwi for $900---BUY IT! I'm a firm believer in that microphone, one of the best yet under-rated mics on the market.
Old 28th December 2010
  #15
Quote:
Originally Posted by BCAUTS View Post
Lately I have been doing a lot of pop-punk/hardcore/rock bands so ive been doing heavier stuff, so are you saying humbuckers are better for heavier styles, or should i Lean towards single coils?
a lot of punk bands like single coils.
Old 28th December 2010
  #16
Gear Head
 
Jesse_O's Avatar
 

You CANNOT go wrong with a standard tele!
Teles are a perfect example of getting it right and not ****ing with it.
Old 28th December 2010
  #17
Gear Maniac
 
BCAUTS's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse_O View Post
You CANNOT go wrong with a standard tele!
Teles are a perfect example of getting it right and not ****ing with it.
yea man i really am leaning towards the standard tele. that will leave me with around 1000 dollars left, maybe i will grab a 414 as well.i also love the ksm141s and i could get a pair of them for around 870 and still have enough to grab a e906...or get a 184 for a grand idkkk very hard choice, but i think i should get a LDC instead of a SDC...what do you guys think??
Old 28th December 2010
  #18
Gear Maniac
 

I’ve heard the Audient Mico is pretty nice. At $660 for 2 pres is not a bad deal.
Audient Mico | Sweetwater.com

Or if you manage to push your budget $200, the SSL Alpha VHD is great. 4 channels of beautiful pres for $1,579. Same pres that make up the Duality!
Solid State Logic Alpha VHD | Sweetwater.com

Also, I recommend the 414 xls if you are still looking for mics.

Cheers!
Old 28th December 2010
  #19
Lives for gear
 

being heavy.. I tend to prefer the SG.. but that's just me.. so wait.. what does this leave you left over for other stuff? Or maybe its just a wait and save for other stuff? Wait.. do you have a guitar amp?

I'm personally stuck on expensive stuff for my outboard gear wish lists... and I hate the thought of spending money on something I'll replace latter on.. once I have the means to get what I might "really want" or perhaps even need.. So I will just say that that kind of a perspective is prejudicing what I'm going to say.. quite a bit.

So I wonder.. err.. well what are you using the studio for? Are you doing actual commercial work? Or like.. are there particular purposes you're aiming at? What are these purposes?

Personally.. if I had your rig I'd probably be looking at microphones before I looked at out board.. it doesn't look to me like there's a huge amount of flexibility in your mic collection.. put it that way..

My usual thing would be to suggest one good.. mid to high end work horse kind of microphone.. and then go in for the more low-er end stuff to kinda fill things out a bit. Though I think your mic collection represents smart lower end choices.. there's nothing in there that plays the more mid to high end work horse roll.. and so I would put that very high on my priority list.

I guess my question becomes.. "Well why do you need the guitar?" I didn't check out any of the links.. don't know the price..

Well.. I'd say.. you didn't mention any amps.. personally I'd feel like I needed at least the guitar and amp thing.. somewhat covered.. and I could probably get away with like.. a $200 epiphone.. maybe upgrade the electronics.. but it's going to be harder for me to work out the amp part of that.. particularly if I want something high gain.. and cheap.. I don't know what I would do... I mean I probably wouldn't have any money left over for anything else at that point.. put it that way.

But you know.. you can get away with going DI on a guitar and modeling it.. and so if I basically just wanted to be able to work with some instruments of my own.. or have friends work with instruments of my own.. I'd probably go that route.. as cheap as I could.. and then really go for it on the microphone...

But again.. I think it depends on what bases you want to cover.. and how well you want to cover what bases.. what your priorities are..

I will say that I don't know the 003.. I'm not a pro tools guy.. so I don't know how good or bad that is.. in terms of how quickly you'd want to invest in pre's and whatever.. I'm using an apogee ensemble and.. certainly with that I'd spend the money on the mics... if I didn't have any preamps.

But.. yeah.. I think I would start with the mics first.. get the work horse.. and then look at pre amps and out board...
Old 29th December 2010
  #20
Gear Maniac
 
BCAUTS's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattsearles View Post
being heavy.. I tend to prefer the SG.. but that's just me.. so wait.. what does this leave you left over for other stuff? Or maybe its just a wait and save for other stuff? Wait.. do you have a guitar amp?

I'm personally stuck on expensive stuff for my outboard gear wish lists... and I hate the thought of spending money on something I'll replace latter on.. once I have the means to get what I might "really want" or perhaps even need.. So I will just say that that kind of a perspective is prejudicing what I'm going to say.. quite a bit.

So I wonder.. err.. well what are you using the studio for? Are you doing actual commercial work? Or like.. are there particular purposes you're aiming at? What are these purposes?

Personally.. if I had your rig I'd probably be looking at microphones before I looked at out board.. it doesn't look to me like there's a huge amount of flexibility in your mic collection.. put it that way..

My usual thing would be to suggest one good.. mid to high end work horse kind of microphone.. and then go in for the more low-er end stuff to kinda fill things out a bit. Though I think your mic collection represents smart lower end choices.. there's nothing in there that plays the more mid to high end work horse roll.. and so I would put that very high on my priority list.

I guess my question becomes.. "Well why do you need the guitar?" I didn't check out any of the links.. don't know the price..

Well.. I'd say.. you didn't mention any amps.. personally I'd feel like I needed at least the guitar and amp thing.. somewhat covered.. and I could probably get away with like.. a $200 epiphone.. maybe upgrade the electronics.. but it's going to be harder for me to work out the amp part of that.. particularly if I want something high gain.. and cheap.. I don't know what I would do... I mean I probably wouldn't have any money left over for anything else at that point.. put it that way.

But you know.. you can get away with going DI on a guitar and modeling it.. and so if I basically just wanted to be able to work with some instruments of my own.. or have friends work with instruments of my own.. I'd probably go that route.. as cheap as I could.. and then really go for it on the microphone...

But again.. I think it depends on what bases you want to cover.. and how well you want to cover what bases.. what your priorities are..

I will say that I don't know the 003.. I'm not a pro tools guy.. so I don't know how good or bad that is.. in terms of how quickly you'd want to invest in pre's and whatever.. I'm using an apogee ensemble and.. certainly with that I'd spend the money on the mics... if I didn't have any preamps.

But.. yeah.. I think I would start with the mics first.. get the work horse.. and then look at pre amps and out board...
yes i am using my studio for commercial style work and all genres of music, i have been thinking and i think i am going to lean towards getting a really nice mic such as a 414 i have been leaving towards
Old 30th December 2010
  #21
Gear Maniac
 
BCAUTS's Avatar
 

i went ahead and purchased a 414xls today, very happy with my choice.
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Similar Threads
Thread
Thread Starter / Forum
Replies
Mouser / So much gear, so little time
2
sanjari / So much gear, so little time
4
Hamburg58 / High end
8
digital 1010 / Low End Theory
7
digital 1010 / High end
1

Forum Jump
Forum Jump