The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
U47FET alternative Condenser Microphones
Old 23rd January 2006
Gear Head

U47FET alternative

does anyone know any mics that are similar to the u47fet???
although i would LOVE to buy a real one, i just can't afford it, so anyone who could offer any suggestions for something with the same kind of sound would be great.
thanks!
Zoe
Old 23rd January 2006

Soundelux iFet7
Old 23rd January 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by James 'LA' Lugo
Soundelux iFet7
Or the U195 can do many similar things quite well, such as front of kick duties. It's very reasonably priced.
Old 23rd January 2006
One with big hooves

AT4047 has about 70-80% of the 'mojo' for about 1/4 of the price.

I quite like mine...though, I did blow the first one up in a kick drum. Nailed the diaphragm to the backplate, sounded UNREAL for about the first half second...

Mic #2's been great for a bunch of years in a bunch of places, including the interior of a kick drum.
Old 23rd January 2006
Gear Guru

FWIW Chris Garges (who's a FET47 freak) told me last week that's he's really digging the Lawson FET47. he said its the closest thing to the real deal that he's found.
Old 23rd January 2006
Lives for gear

U195 doesn´t sound like a U47fet to me in fok. it´s a lot more boomy...
Old 23rd January 2006
Gear Head

thanks so much everyone.
i really appreciate it
Zoe
Old 23rd January 2006

Try the Brauner Microphones - some of them have this U47-ish thing going on!
Old 23rd January 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drumsound
FWIW Chris Garges (who's a FET47 freak) told me last week that's he's really digging the Lawson FET47. he said its the closest thing to the real deal that he's found.
Anyone else hear this thing? Looks cool...

another great alternative is the Microtech Geffel UM-70S... Great all around mic, including front of kick, vocals, guitars, drums, etc...

Ryan Hewitt
Old 23rd January 2006
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anderson
Try the Brauner Microphones - some of them have this U47-ish thing going on!

But please NOT on Kick Drums! (Instead you like the sound of capsule distortion) tutt
Old 23rd January 2006
Lives for gear

Don't know about US prices, but a decent condition Neumann FET47 here in the UK is actually cheaper than a Soundelux IFET7....
Neumann FET47 about £1200-1500.....IFET7 £1650.

For that sort of money I'd rather have the real thing ...(specially for front of kick - the Neumann is still the ultimate IMHO)
Old 23rd January 2006
Lives for gear

Ive been trying to like my 4047 in FOK role and I actually prefer and loving Studio Projects C3 there(set to fig8)

But its bass amp, acoustics struming, and some vox where I love the 4047.

Old 23rd January 2006
Lives for gear

I tried the 4047 on vocals on somebody that usually sound great on 47 fet and didn't like it very much. It had spitty high end and the mids got lost in the mix so easily. That mics lacks true density. Won't happen with a U47... Needless to say I didn't buy it.
Krubb
Old 23rd January 2006
member no 666

Well you seem to have recieved a plethora of recommendations which I'm sure will serve to confuse the living **** out of you.

Congratulations.

In what application were you thinking of using the 47FET?

In different applications I've found that different things compensate for the lack of a 47FET very nicely... like on kik I prefer the U-195 to a FET 47... on an SVT cabinet [which is about my favorite use for a FET 47] I've found the Gefell MT-71S to be a very acceptable alternative.

On vocals... well... I've only met like 2 or 3 singers where the 47 FET was the mic of choice... on the rest where I've tried it I found that mic boxy as a motherfukker... so I don't have any set advice for a vocal application... but on instruments I think somewhere between the Gefell and the Soundelux you'll find joy.

I have no idea how the word Brauner came up as being even remotely "47 FET-ish"... but to each their own I suppose. While we're in myth/fantasy land... I know the iFet-7 is advertised to have some similiarities to both the U-87 and the FET 47 but I've found it similar to neither... though as always... YMMV.

Best of luck with the search.
Old 23rd January 2006

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletcher
I have no idea how the word Brauner came up as being even remotely "47 FET-ish"... but to each their own I suppose.
Well, on a couple of occasions I was able to try both mics (U47 Fet and VM1) on male and female vocals. Although they sounded quite different in the HF, the bottom response was very similar. Especially on the male vocals, there was a clear similarity.

Not that I was expecting one, but that's what I noticed at the time.

So IMHO, yes there was something going on there. Now maybe some would find that odd, but it's what I experienced...

Cheers!
Old 24th January 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drumsound
Absolutely. I've tried it on kick drums, floor toms, bass guitar amps, and electric guitar amps, all of which I frequently like a FET47 for. I have a recorded a few vocalists that I thought sounded good or at least interesting with a FET 47, although sometimes the midrange is a bit hefty for my tastes. The Lawson seems to be much more pleasing as a vocal microphone than the FET 47(again, to me), but works pretty much equally as well in other contexts. I have yet to try the Lawson on upright bass, leslie cabinet, or piano, three other applications where I often love a FET 47, but in the places I've been able to try it so far, it's a great mic. Like the FET 47, the Lawson has a nice top end, a semi-thick low mid thing, and smooth mid range. It doesn't have the same hyped/brightish top that, say, an AT 4047 has and like the FET 47, it's a not a "hard-sounding" mic.

Gene Lawson also has an excellent reputation for product reliability.

Hope this helps.

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC
Old 24th January 2006
Gear Head

i'm going for the U47fet sound on a kick drum.
if that helps clarify things.
thanks again everyone.
Zoe

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search