The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Mod the MicroKorg, Save the World... Keyboard Synthesizers
Old 26th December 2010
Lives for gear

Mod the MicroKorg, Save the World...

Hey GS-ers!
Tired of taking your Microkorg to a gig and seeing everyone and their mom using one? Here is my cosmetic modification for your reading and viewing pleasure!
*Disclaimer, yes it's a toy synth and blah blah blah. I have nicer ones in the studio, but sure as crap am not bringing them out to gigs.
So spare me the pissing monkey as I'm looking for lots of thumbs ups!*
Plus, someone help me come up with a name! Maybe a korg,voyager,ms-10 thing.

1. The finished product

2. The cool thing is the keyboard section circuit board and the knobs circuit board are separate and connect by wired sections. Therefore no soldering required!

3. So carefully open and gut the synth (few different screw lengths, so label or separate and note) leaving the two shells. Cut at my specified position. I used an xacto knife to minimize the risk of cracking or material loss. On the underside you'll have to cut down the extra plastic next to the screw supports to match the top cut. After this is done you can spray paint the shells using made for plastic paint. I did a couple of coats to get it smooth and nice

4. Line the two sections together and get a feel for what angle works for you. If you want to go nuts add a hinge for voyager little brother-ness!
I reused the roughly 1/4 panels and added 1/4 red oak. Be sure to scrutinize your local hardware stores for the straightest piece. Cut your sides and match them by sanding while holding together.

5. Carefully drill your new holes, while matching the pre-existing panel front screw. I put a second set of screws on the top end. I didn't take a pic, but I then connected my two panel piece ends with a third 1/4 piece cut to support the underside angle of my knob section. Then, I cut all three pieces to a nice uniform edge. screwing the three pieces together will tighten it up and get rid of any minor warp. So what to do about the gaping hole in the bottom?!? If you used your 1/4" 6x24 red oak wisely you will have a strip left over to cover this area. Carefully drill and screw this to the end pieces really solidifying the whole support system.

So there you have it! Whadda think I should call it? I used the sharpie paint pen and renamed the inserts at the top, but want to put a little new name for it above the knob section.

p.s. I would consider doing this for someone for a small fee. PM if interested.
Old 26th December 2010
Gear Nut

That's awesome! Be sure and post this in the Electronic Music section as well. Nice job.
Old 26th December 2010
Gear Maniac

Well...here´s your

Really nice mod!!! Maybe I have to do the same with mine, making bigger impressions on the clients for sure! heh
Old 26th December 2010
Lives for gear

This is fantastic! I'll definitely be trying this out when I have some spare time!
Old 26th December 2010
Lives for gear
√√√√√
Old 26th December 2010
Gear Addict

Outstanding.
Old 26th December 2010
Gear Head

Wicked !

Funnily enough, my monkey was just outside taking a leak.
I showed him your handy work through the window and he gave it thumbsupthumbsup
Old 26th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by themn View Post
Wicked !

Funnily enough, my monkey was just outside taking a leak.
I showed him your handy work through the window and he gave it thumbsupthumbsup
lol awesome! Thanks guys
Old 26th December 2010
Lives for gear

Hey!
This is very cool!
Can you make a post about it in the "Pimp my gear" thread? This is an awesome project!
p.
Old 26th December 2010
Lives for gear

A big thumbsup. I would call it Koyager. heh
Old 26th December 2010
Lives for gear

Looks pretty awesome!

Good job!
Old 26th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farshad View Post
A big thumbsup. I would call it Koyager. heh
You're way out in the lead! I like it
Old 26th December 2010
Lives for gear

You,butcher,you! lol!
Old 27th December 2010
Here for the gear

ha ha, awesome design!! thumbsup
Old 27th December 2010
Gear Maniac

Looks great!
Old 27th December 2010
Lives for gear

As soon as I'm over this cold I'm going to try and tackle this MOD. Very cool!
Old 27th December 2010
Lives for gear

brilliant.
im gonna buy another micro just to mod!
Old 27th December 2010
Cool! That looks great!

Along the same lines as the Alesis A6 went with Andromeda and the popular Aurora Mod...How about calling it the Korg Micro Milky-Way!!!
Old 27th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Popbott
Cool! That looks great!

Along the same lines as the Alesis A6 went with Andromeda and the popular Aurora Mod...How about calling it the Korg Micro Milky-Way!!!
Woah! I hadn't seen that. There's just something much more ergonomic and appealing about the tilt.
Alright, Micro Milky Way is very good. We're getting closer to a name. Some genius tie it all together, the space theme is a good idea
Old 27th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyFromDenver View Post
*Disclaimer, yes it's a toy synth and blah blah blah. I have nicer ones in the studio, but sure as crap am not bringing them out to gigs.
So spare me the pissing monkey as I'm looking for lots of thumbs ups!*
dfegad on you saying it is a 'toy synth' heh

the microkorg makes it on more recordings than any of my other keyboards!
Old 27th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Watts View Post

Outstanding.
+1 on what he said
Old 29th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingtone

dfegad on you saying it is a 'toy synth' heh

the microkorg makes it on more recordings than any of my other keyboards!
Lol. You're right
I put the flame shields up to the max, maybe unnecessarily.
There are some nice pads to be made. And I think maybe one really nice bass sound from the ms2000.

Still haven't come up with a name...
Old 3rd January 2011
Here for the gear

nice!
Old 3rd January 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyFromDenver View Post
Still haven't come up with a name...
MicroKoog-10?
Old 25th May 2012
Lives for gear

absolutely fabulous, very inspiring :D
Old 25th May 2012
Lives for gear

Nice work. I love my microKorg, both live and in the studio.
Old 12th May 2014
Here for the gear

My microKORG conversion

Thanks for the inspiration on this. Decided to change up my microKORG look as well. Painted the chassis a flat white, swapped out to Blue LEDS, milled some walnut side panels, and created some custom vinyl graphics for the rear panel. Such a fun project!

John
Attached Thumbnails
Mod the MicroKorg, Save the World...-web6.jpg   Mod the MicroKorg, Save the World...-web3.jpg   Mod the MicroKorg, Save the World...-web2.jpg   Mod the MicroKorg, Save the World...-20140502_152219.jpg   Mod the MicroKorg, Save the World...-20140502_151925.jpg  

Old 12th May 2014
Lives for gear
Pretty cool. But I disagree about the Microkorg being considered a "toy." I think the only people that say this are pretentious synth assholes who have their heads too far up their own ass to realize it's an incredible little machine in a tiny box for a great price. I think the fact that people are willing to put this much work in to making the Microkorg look like a "legitimate" synth says a lot about how nice of an instrument it really is, instead of just using a "legitimate" synth.
Old 12th May 2014
Gear Maniac

That's pretty awesome man! Great job!
Old 15th May 2015
Here for the gear
Love the mod, thumbs and knobs UP for sure! I'd love to see about implementing a full set of control knobs so you aren't fiddling with the switch knob or would you say that is a good enough method for those of us who want as much hands on control as possible, I use a minibrute but have always had this one as my first goto before I actually had money to drop on a synth. Or would I be better off with ms2000 rack
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search