The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Any Reel to Reel Tape Repair Wizards? Modular Synthesizers
Old 26th December 2010
Any Reel to Reel Tape Repair Wizards?

For quite some time I have been looking at this beautiful Akai tape deck (Akai 4000ds mark 2) that my dad has sitting on a table downstairs wondering if I could use it as an outboard insert, something to send my mixes through for true analog saturation, or even just true tape delay (phew). I finally got him to bring it out and mess with it. It seems that everything is working perfectly EXCEPT the record feature...which is what I really needed lol. Does anyone have a list of ideas that it could be? I'm 20 years old and no NOTHING about legacy machines. My dad is a mechanical whiz, but even he was befuddled after popping it open and trying to figure it out. If anyone has any experience with this sort of thing and has any suggestions that I can relay to my dad...it would be much appreciated.

If we get it working and if anyone is interested, Ill run anyone's mixes through it

P.S. this is the model:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/5129928/akai%204000ds.jpg
Old 26th December 2010
Lives for gear

Hi Joe head over to Tapeheads.net. It's the best plac eon the web tape machine issues. There is a weath of people and info there that will get you sorted out!
Old 26th December 2010
Lives for gear

Charlie Bolis
Vertigo Recording Services in L.A.
Old 26th December 2010
Lives for gear

If you want to go that direction tapeheads.net is the place to be. I'm not in to analogue tape but it sounds great and they know there stuff.
Old 26th December 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lance Lawson View Post
Hi Joe head over to Tapeheads.net. It's the best plac eon the web tape machine issues. There is a weath of people and info there that will get you sorted out!

Thanks..already took the question over their and signed up
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search