The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Advice on Gatt Audio Microphones?
Old 26th December 2010
Here for the gear

Advice on Gatt Audio Microphones?

Hello,

I've recently been looking into buy some mics for the purpose of recording drums. I am working to a budget and have found a set of Gatt Audio drum microphones that I can find very little information on.

Gatt Audio Drum Microphones 7 Piece set of Drum Mics with Rim Clips & XLR Leads

This website claims them to be much better than I would expect for the price and I'm not sure to trust it without any other recommendations!

Does any one have any experience with Gatt mics, and in particular this set?

Do you have any alternate set ups that your would recommend?

Thanks for any advice.
Tom
Old 26th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom R View Post
This website claims them to be much better than I would expect for the price and I'm not sure to trust it without any other recommendations!
Thanks for the laugh And "Danglebery Music"? You are surely trolling us

No clue - never played with Gatt mics (or heard of them). You might try cross posting here if no one responds with helpful info:

Low End Theory - Gearslutz.com
Old 26th December 2010
Here for the gear

Oh thanks, I'll give that a try.
Is there an easy way to cross post it, or do i just have to make a new post?
Old 27th December 2010
Lives for gear

Just make a new post, if that's what you want.
Old 27th December 2010
Lives for gear

Gatt would be a new "re-brander" of OEM purchased mics from China. This means the re-brander bought a Minimum Order Quantity (MOQ) of probably 25 sets. Yes, you do get a lot of stuff for the price. But the real question is this - is this the right stuff for you?

If your goal is to record a drum set using a "live stage" technique of one (or two) mics per drum - for the purpose of documenting drum practice sessions to a multi-track recorder for the purpose of analyzing practice sessions and isolating individual drum / stick hits - yes, this will cover that application nicely.

On the other hand, if you need drum mics for the purpose of making release-ready recordings you may want to consider the type of music you're recording, the kits being used, the space in which they are being played and really importantly - your own drum recording aesthetic.

Because the trend for a number of years in drum recording has been to use a minimal number of mics placed in a phase-coherent array to get the bulk of the kit / room sound (perhaps augment slightly with a snare mic). This means the OH mic (or mics) and the kick mic are the most important mics to get right for your aesthetic and the client's. Individual spot mics can be used as well, but the three main mics (2 OH & kick, or Glynn John's OH / floor tom / kick etc) should be chosen individually and carefully considering the importance of their roles. In fact, if you do a search here you'll find no end to discussions about kick, snare and OH mics alone!

Personally, I'd start with a good pair of SDC OH mics (80% of my budget) and a kick mic (20% of budget) chosen for the main applications I expect to use them on.

btw - I'm totally opposed to "clip on" tom mics - that is just an invitation to pick up all sort of shell resonance being directly coupled from the shell to the mic. Add those structure-borne vibrations into the air-borne sound and you've got an almighty phase mess.
Old 29th December 2010
Here for the gear

Thanks for your advice, I understand that these mics wouldn't come close in comparison to most people first choice of microphone, but i'm on quite a tight budget, and if these mics are as good as the website claims them to be then they would be perfect for me.
Old 29th December 2010
Gear Head

Gatt mics are good for beginners. I've used them a couple of times in a small live gigs. Snare and tom mics are okay, but the kick mic is awful. No lowend on that one. Can't comment on the MOH-7 overhead mics, although i've heard positive comments about them, but I'm not sure if I believe them.

I still prefer the usual Audix, Sennheiser, Shure, Beyer standards. Better wait and save your money for better options. But if you NEED them now, go for it and share your experiences.
Old 4th February 2011
Lives for gear
I still have a set of these which I use for demo bands on location. JariNi is about right. The kick is hopeless, the snare is so so (use your 57 if you have one), but the toms are perfectly fine and the overheads surprisingly not too bad. I actually even used them for BVs and acoustic guitar once when I'd sold my guitar sdcs and didn't have anything else.

I'd say the trick with these is to accept that you will need a reinforcement plug, at least for the kick and snare!
Old 10th February 2011
Here for the gear

Follow up

Hello, I bought the Gatt drum mic set.

I think they're alright for my purpose, and very good for the price i got them for (£140)

Heres an example of what i've done with them (plus 1 sm57): TomRoche's sounds on SoundCloud - Create, record and share your sounds for free

Thats the whole set used on kit, with 57 used under snare. Also, the sdc's used on piano, the kick mic and an sdc on bass, and 57 and an sdc on guitars. I only have quite rubbish preamps (mackie mixing desk) and recorded into nuendo daw.

I'm still just starting out as an engineer so i think some one with more experience would get a much better sound out of them.

I started doing some comparisons today and i will post my findings soon...
Old 7th January 2015
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaolin View Post
I still have a set of these which I use for demo bands on location. JariNi is about right. The kick is hopeless, the snare is so so (use your 57 if you have one), but the toms are perfectly fine and the overheads surprisingly not too bad. I actually even used them for BVs and acoustic guitar once when I'd sold my guitar sdcs and didn't have anything else.

I'd say the trick with these is to accept that you will need a reinforcement plug, at least for the kick and snare!
I've just bought this mic set myself, as I am on a very tight budget.

I will have a spare tom mic as I only have the one rack tom and one floor tom.

I'm just wondering, if the tom mics are the better ones, would it be a wise idea to use the spare tom mic for the snare? The frequency response seems to be the same as the snare.
Old 26th February 2015
Lives for gear
Wow, wouldn't have seen this but for that neat quote app Gearslutz runs. Old post! Glad those mics are still available.

I never tried the tom mic for snare so not sure. Won't hurt to try. Don't you have a 57 lying around?

I don't actually record live drums much these days and even back then I was adding samples to reinforce. For me, recording drums was all about getting the feel and then augmenting the close mics in the DAW. You still need decent overheads for that though, and I really liked the GATT overheads. Even used them for backing vocals couple times.

But I'm not a seasoned drum recordist so I'd be wary of what impresses me! Recording drums well needs better drums than I had, better tuning than I could muster and a MUCH better room than I had, so these days I work with a session drummer who gives me a product I could never achieve on my own. I'm not prepared to go down that road, so getting good raw multis from him works out well for me. Online guys can be affordable and if you find the right one who plays what you want and not what they want, you can get great results. TBH probably half of them are using some form of v drums, with not a mic in sight, but that keeps costs down and then it's more the playing you pay for than the room, kit, mics, pres, desk and so on.

Not trying to dampen your spirits, especially if you're learning or recording a band, obviously go for it! The Gatts can work.

Just sounding off I guess.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search