The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
storing mics Drum Microphones
Old 23rd January 2006
Lives for gear

storing mics

how do you store your vintage mics when they don't have cases.
Old 23rd January 2006
Gear Maniac

I ask a version of this question 3 months ago and got 1 response.
(Either you don’t need to do anything special, or no one really knows
what to do.) I haven’t sorted this out yet.

The thread was :Protecting expensive microphones
https://www.gearslutz.com/board/high-end/47048-protecting-expensive-microphones.html

I am just trying to be helpful and I’ll be watching for new info
,if posted, that will help me as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveH
Protecting expensive mikes:
I’m getting back into this after 20 years and I am quickly
getting a large collection of mikes.

Need some advice getting up to speed as I want to protect this rather
large investment. (addes up quickly @ 2,000 - 5,000 each).

Are you using temperature control only?
Are you using temperature and humidity control?
Off the shelf or custom built cases?

Anything new in the last 20 years?
Any good links or threads to read?

I want to address this now, rather than worry.
The microphone you help save, will be mine!

Thanks,
THE ONE ANSWER:

Quote:
Originally Posted by gainreduction
There's some good info about proper micstorage and general mic caretaking at "Klaus Heyne's Mic lab" at www.prosoundweb.com

According to him, all you need is a plastic bag... stike
Old 23rd January 2006
Lives for gear

I would look at Heynes forum as the thread on the topic goes in depth.

kjetil
Old 23rd January 2006
Lives for gear

Thanks guys! I was also looking for cool ideas for containers/etc. My locker is growing fast and I want to keep them easy to access and yet safe.
Old 23rd January 2006
Lives for gear

I use pelican cases with silica gel for all of my mics.
pelicans are bombproof, shatterproof...and arent expensive either.
Old 23rd January 2006
Here for the gear

mic cases

I have discovered the joy of ebay-ing for old lunch boxes, stuffing them with some spare foam and, BOING..... instant hip mic cases!!!!
Just got my hands on a Garfield and Odie circa 1978. it now houses my AKG D 112. no vintage mic by any means but hey.....
Old 23rd January 2006
Lives for gear

Generally speaking, you want to keep mics stored in a quality plastic bag with a nice seal and keep 1-2 silica gel packets inside to eliminate ambient moisture.

I was told my Dave Pearlman that it is unwise to store mics in flight case without some other form of protection (like a bag). He said that "the foam will disintegrate (especially in the humidity) and maybe get inside the mic."
Old 23rd January 2006
Lives for gear

Looks like Foam is not a good solution - Klaus really lays into it in his forum. Plastic bags are the way to go - now we can get sluttz on the type of plastic and what year they were made :-)

I prefer the German plastic that is more consistant - actually I find my high mids retain more clarity when locked in a zip lock bag fom 87 than the more recent zip locks. I will have to post some comparison files
Old 23rd January 2006
Lives for gear

I just got a Flexcut Mic Case from Thomann in Germany. It's foam that you have to cut, I'm not thrilled with foam getting into my mics but I'll just use produce bags like I do when the mics are set up and not in use.
Klaus Heyne suggested the bags and they work great.

When searching for these cases I also found this called a 'Jackycase' (oh those Germans) on the Thomann site, I dunno....
Old 23rd January 2006
Lives for gear
plastic bags

I think the comments about plastic bags was mostly while storing microphones up on stands. A 1-gallon ziplock bag (or any large clean plastic bag) over the top of the mic keeps dust off of the capsule and allows air to circulate.

If you let your studio get cool at night, you could set up a small heater or lamp on the stand below the mic with plastic for a slight warm air current. I'm thinking that 20-40 W lamp/element would be plenty. In a studio with HVAC, this is too much effort for a non-problem.

Someone mentioned a mechanics' roll-around chest for mic storage. This is a great idea, because they are designed to withstand years of use, resist minor attempts at pilfering, are portable and securable. Several styles are available in the US, from Craftsman (at Sears) to much more expensive brands.

I use a collection of Samsonite cases that look like something your Grandma might go on vacation with. No Halliburton/Zero bags for me! Sturdy and available at thrift stores for cheap. The next step up is a Pelican case or a Clone. With a dessicant pack inside, everything stays dry and fresh. I put a sheet of thick felt between the foam and the mic in case the foam turns to dust. Dessicant packs next to capsules.

As far as closet storage, make sure the closet is CLEAN. Get in there and vacuum/wipe regularly.

Add your mic collection to insurance. Get appraisal and documentation BEFORE they get burned/flooded/destroyed, meaning ASAP. Get an "agreed upon value" policy so that there's no adjuster adjustments made to the value of your collection after the disaster. Your ins. co. may give you a better deal if the mic's are kept in a locked safe of some minimum size/weight on the premises.

Cheers.
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search