The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
One grand essentials
Old 25th December 2010
Lives for gear

One grand essentials

Yo!

Got about a grand + for christmas!

Let me tell you a little bit about my home getup - good on DAW, good on plugins and software, cute command|8. 0 outboard. Im thinking along the lines of an essential that will leave me comfortable.. I was thinking 'distressor' because right now i'm 100% ITB.. but I saw that a dangerous 2 bus is going for 1349 on sweetwater! Or a fatso.. Or an LA3.. Or a .. summit tla-100a.. Or a Germanium.. Or something API.. So many choices! What would you do?? o_O

I think it would be cool to start a dedicated thread for essential pieces in their respective price ranges
Old 25th December 2010
Lives for gear

Tell us more about what you do—and what you hope to achieve with your new acquisition.

Also, I'm assuming you have some mics and pres already? Which ones?
Old 25th December 2010
Gear Addict

Agreed. Much easier to help knowing more about your current situation and what you are aiming for?

But as for things that are awesomely useful in their price ranges:

Interface, RME fireface, SSL Alpha Link

Mics, Beyer 201, EV 635a, CAD m179, Oktava MK012s, Rode NT4s and NT5s. Other more expensive mics I am not sure of, for bang to buck ratio.

Pre, Sytek MPX4aii (hands down the best mic pre for the price), Joe Meek TWINQ is meant to be a nice pre for the cost, especially as it can make things clean, dirty or just plain messed up, good fun to be had.

Outboard, again not sure as I am mostly ITB. Also depends on what you are after. The FMR really nice compressor is a nice clean comp for the price.

There are a few things for now, but much much more can be done when we know your situation
Old 27th December 2010
Lives for gear

Hey guys
The setup Im buying for is at my home. A typical ITB setup. I do very very little recording, mixing editing and psuedo-mastering most of all the time. I want something to have an exponential impact on the sound coming out of my 96io, while covering a specific area of workflow to improve the sound and the speed in which I get things done, while also making up for some dsp restraints. Ive got 1 adk condenser and 1 cheap broadcast compressor that shares the same vca as a jbl 7110. No preamp.
I was hoping to have ported my grandfathers old custom built 50's preamp (FULL OF TUBES AND TRANSFORMERS) to a rack and have been running audio through it by now.. but alas.. NOPE!
It will happen though.. and I will get that thing racked, so that will cover that area until i save enough $$ again to grab a 1084 or other pre. I noticed that the dbx 902's are relatively cheap. Maybe I could grab one of those and a 550b? the porblem with that is Id have to grab a lunchbox too and it would kill me to see those open spaces

What do you guys think of the overstayer compressor?
Old 28th December 2010
Gear Head

I am pleased with the results I get with a Distressor and Dangerous D-box, but if you do "very very little" recording, why not go for a summing unit over a compressor?
Old 28th December 2010
Gear Maniac

yeah if you are doing alot of mixing I suggest the Dangerous D-Box...give you itb tracks some analog summing love and you get great monitoring too.....
Old 28th December 2010
Lives for gear
Actually i'm probably more thinking if you're that much in the clear, maybe start investing in a 500 series rack? Or Lunchbox. I say this because the first investment is the b**ch, but once you have the first bit, the rest is pretty cheap, and it seems there are a LOT of things being made in 500 series format now...just a suggestion anyway haha...
Old 29th December 2010
Lives for gear

One grand essentials

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nelson89
Actually i'm probably more thinking if you're that much in the clear, maybe start investing in a 500 series rack? Or Lunchbox. I say this because the first investment is the b**ch, but once you have the first bit, the rest is pretty cheap, and it seems there are a LOT of things being made in 500 series format now...just a suggestion anyway haha...
That's true. It seems like there's almost everything available in a 500 series format.

Yea the dangerous seems like a really good idea

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search