The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Laney VH100r noise Effects Pedals, Units & Accessories
Old 25th December 2010
Here for the gear

Laney VH100r noise

Hi.

Right basically I bought A Laney VH100r for christmas and I am digging the tone but there is one big thing that is bothering me. THE NOISE. The noise that this beast kicks up is astonishing for such an expensive amp.

I do have a noise gate/ reduction system (Isp decimator ProRack G) but it doesn't do a very good job of sorting it. I've tried it in every loop on the amp and it does work to a certain degree but takes all the charactaristics away from my playing because I have to have the threshold set so high.

Please, please, please can somebody help me?
Old 25th December 2010
Gear Addict

Turn the gain down.

Laneys do ship with pretty cheap valves though, get some nicer ones and it should help a bit.
Old 25th December 2010
Here for the gear

It buzzes on the clean channel aswell. I bought this used and the previous owner did change 2 of the the preamp tubes for fairly high end ones.
What tubes would you suggest??
Old 26th December 2010
Lives for gear

I have my VH100R stuffed full of Harma Ecc83-STR valves. Lower gain than the stock TAD ones iirc, and they smooth off the spanky clean channel a little. I also have a Jan/Phillips 5751 in either V1 or V3 (it's in either the relative V1 of the clean or od channel). Sweetens it up a bit as well........then I've got a matched quad of old Tesla EL34s in the power section.

I can't remember how much these have helped with the noise if at all; all I can say is that it just is a kind of hissy amp. There seems to be a noise floor that remains fairly constant regardless of volume, in addition to the expected hum that increases with gain.

That said, the amp really does sound awsome I don't use it anymore as I've changed playing/listening styles a lot over the past few years and my little 15W Matamp suits me better now.

One piece of advice is to not use it with V30 speakers as they really don't suit the VH100R's clean sound. Try G12K-100s.....with them the amp really is a versatile little bugger
Old 28th December 2010
Here for the gear

I love this amp. I do like to play high gain heavy stuff do (The Devil Wears Prada, Lamb Of God, Bring Me The Horizon ect). Do you think it will help if i turn the drive channel off on the distortion channel and use a distortion pedal instead??
Old 28th December 2010
Here for the gear

I'm getting some new, better quality tubes.
What does every one suggest for this head??

Bearing in mind I do like my heavy stuff but also want a nice clean
Old 29th December 2010
Lives for gear

I really like the sound of the Harma 12ax7s. I've used some of the higher gain ones in the VH100R, but preferred the lower gain ones with the amp slightly louder

Other ones I've really liked are JJs and Electro Harmonix gold ecc83s (don't know what the difference is between the normal and gold-pin ones......probably mostly marketing hype). The great thing about a dual-channel amp is that you can use different valves for each channel and you're not limiting your clean tone by going for high-gain overdrive. With that in mind, I highly recommend putting a really low gain vale in V1 to warm up the clean channel a little (like the Jan/Phillips 5751).

If you decide not to use the drive boost in favour of an od pedal, you'll have a pretty different tone. I don't like high-gain overdrive pedals unless they're valve-based, and if you go for a light od with a gain boost to drive the input of the amp it won't sound quite the same as kicking in the Laney's boost.

I've used my Fulltone OCD with the Laney, and didn't like the combination at all; however it sounds brilliant with the Matamp so that's not a reflection on the tone of either, simply my opinion of how they sound in combination. What does sound amazing is layering some light Laney ch2 overdrive with a Coopersonic Valveslapper (I've only used the old version from a couple years ago). That sounds monstrously epic heh Distortion nirvana can also be found by patching a Matamp minimat into the channel 2 fx loop of the Laney......essentially getting Laney preamp, Matamp pre and poweramp overdrive, and then a little bit of Laney poweramp to finish it off..........mmmmmm!!

I hope at least a little of that rant is helpful
Old 29th December 2010
Here for the gear

Thanks timlloyd this helped alot. As I am quite new to tube amps and this is my first so... can anyone tell me exactly which tubes I should use in which position to obtain the sort of music I enjoy playing (The Devil Wears Prada, Bring Me The Horizon, Lamb Of God ec) but I also want a nice warm clean.

As to the subject of the pedal I would rather not use a pedal because I don't have a great deal of money and it would be easier without one because my pedal board is already strapped for space.

Thanks

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search