The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
2 in 1 control surfaces/audio interfaces Audio Interfaces
Old 25th December 2010
Gear Maniac

2 in 1 control surfaces/audio interfaces

I've been looking for both an 8-line input audio interface (with a couple mic inputs), as well as a control surface for Logic (Express 8). It would probably need to be USB only as I've heard people have big problems using firewire on 2007 Macbooks.

I saw a few gadgets out there that do both of the jobs, for instance the Digi 003, the Alesis Mastercontrol, the M-Audio Project mix, the Mackie Control C4. I've also seen a Behringher B-BCF2000 (controller only) and an oldish school Tascam US-428. Anything more expensive than a Digi 003 is probably out of my price range.

So I had a few questions:

+ I'm wondering whether there are advantages to having both functions (audio interface and control surface) separate or whether having 2 in 1 is better.

+ I'm wondering which one is most integrated with Logic (so that I don't have to spend ages assigning knobs to functions etc)

+ And just any general tips people might have when it comes to buying 2 in 1 controller/interfaces.

I suppose I could also go the route of a quality audio interface and a cheap control surface if such a thing exists (bearing in mind that I need 8 line level inputs to track from an mpc 2500.) If anyone had recommendations about good combos, particularly with 2007 Macbooks that would be great!

Cheers again people

Last edited by Zarathunkya; 25th December 2010 at 12:55 PM.. Reason: typo
Old 25th December 2010
Lives for gear
Try looking for a 2nd hand Tascam FW 1082 or FW 1884....i've got the 1082 myself, when i plugged it into logic, most of the knobs were already assigned. It also has 4 mic pre's, 8 line inputs, line input 8 can also be switched to instrument input, as well as spdif. It's kind of like a toned down version of the 1884, which is expandable and everything.

I haven't heard of many problems with firewire on macbooks at all, let alone the 2007 ones when i think they were still going Texas Instruments...i had a mate who ran his mobile studio off a 2007 macbook (and still does sometimes) before settling in one location and using an HD rig...he used to run a profire 2626 and a digimax FS straight into the firewire and never had any problems...

Before i forget, no idea what the new ones are like, but one of the problems with the m audio project mix is that the line inputs are -10 (and not actually +4 like the manual leads you to believe)...its been a widely discussed problem for a few years, so if your mpc 2500 is outputing professional line level, it'll be way too hot for the project mix...
Old 27th December 2010
Gear Maniac

cheers

Cheers for the recommendation, I'll keep my eyes peeled for one of those.

My Mac doesn't have the Texas Instruments chipest, it has the Lucent one which according to people around here doesn't bode well for a firewire interface.

I'd be interested to see if anyone has the lucent chipset in their macbook and is successfully running a firewire interface tho.

I'll steer clear of the maudio project mix then! Cheers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nelson89 View Post
Try looking for a 2nd hand Tascam FW 1082 or FW 1884....i've got the 1082 myself, when i plugged it into logic, most of the knobs were already assigned. It also has 4 mic pre's, 8 line inputs, line input 8 can also be switched to instrument input, as well as spdif. It's kind of like a toned down version of the 1884, which is expandable and everything.

I haven't heard of many problems with firewire on macbooks at all, let alone the 2007 ones when i think they were still going Texas Instruments...i had a mate who ran his mobile studio off a 2007 macbook (and still does sometimes) before settling in one location and using an HD rig...he used to run a profire 2626 and a digimax FS straight into the firewire and never had any problems...

Before i forget, no idea what the new ones are like, but one of the problems with the m audio project mix is that the line inputs are -10 (and not actually +4 like the manual leads you to believe)...its been a widely discussed problem for a few years, so if your mpc 2500 is outputing professional line level, it'll be way too hot for the project mix...
Old 27th December 2010
Lives for gear
Yeh i think mine's lucent maybe as well? I run all my stuff from my 2010 MBP 13" and never had a problem with the firewire. Sometimes i run my Tascam FW1082 into it, more often though i run my maudio 2626 with focusrite octopre mkii dynamic. Haven't run into any problems yet...and sometimes i record some pretty large mixes...(relatively speaking of course...like 16 tracks at a time)

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search