The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Functional Creative ideas for New Studio??? Dynamics Plugins
Old 23rd January 2006
Gear Nut

Functional Creative ideas for New Studio???

I am just about ready to break ground on a new facility. The design is almost complete (with the amazing help of Wes Lachot) and have pretty much settled on what gear is going in.
I wanted pick everyone's brain here on some other ideas. Big or small, simple to outlandish, structural or gear related; I'd like to hear some features you have seen or incorporated in your studio, which have helped your overall workflow, efficiency, creativity, or something you just think is really effin cool. Or features you would like to see in a studio.
A cool switchable guitar amp/cab system in the control/live room?, elegant wiring system?, unique lighting?, talkback systems?, rack location?, unique furniture?, moveable displays, DAW to projector? echo chambers?, anything! From as big as a massive motorized moveable acoutsitcs system, to as absurd as an aquarium between the studio glass.
I'd like to hear it all so I can try and incorporate some unique helpful features into the studio as I am building it. Be creative and dont hold back. Any ideas/comments would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,
Shaun
Old 23rd January 2006
Lives for gear

Not sure what console/monitoring set-up your getting, but I saw a pair of ns-10's on a large console, set on train tracks. So as you move around, the ns-10's can follow you.

Also as Fullschmaile they had a board with the monitors on it and there was an up/down switch on the console to raise or lower the board. Made it nice to adjust the monitors to your height.

Another studio (commercial place) had an adjustable ceiling in the control room that would raise and lower. So if you wanted to see what it would sound like in a short room, you could.

Producers desks with a duplicate screen are nice, so people can watch what's going on.

Internet everywhere is cool. Especially in the lounges.

Lighting is very important. Don't under-estimate the lighting.

Also very handy is elco's on the back of your rack table. This allows easy connectivity of stuff brought in by producers/engineers that's set on the racks.

Tie lines on the outside of the building are nice, for recording outside or in alleys. You'll have to enclose them in some kinda case to protect them though..
Old 23rd January 2006
Gear Guru

It seems simple and some think it's "wrong" but I am a firm believer in the control room glass being to the side of the engineer/console. It's intimidating and annoying to be stared at while trying to perform. I had a meeting today where a possible client told me of having to leave another studio because the talent was so unnerved by being stared at through the CR glass.
Old 23rd January 2006
Gear Nut

All great points djui5. Thanks! exactly what I was looking for.

The Ns-10's on the train tracks is very neat and seems almost necessary if you on a huge 100 channel SSL. Dont think my console size will warrant them but it might. What could be really cool is to mount a camera or sensor on the monitors which would track your mix position and automatically scroll back and forth on top of the console depending on where you were! (might be noisy and stupid, just thinking outloud.

You are right, lighting is extremely important. In the midst of getting all the lighting sorted out. I am thinking about recessing some lights in the "clouds". Also trying to find the best dimmers for studio use.

Also, Recording outside seems like a fun and interesting thing to experiement with. At my old location, would have been simply unfeasible due to environment noise. However the new studio is in a very quiet isolated area, so it might be do-able and really interesting.

Drumsound,
Actually I am planning to put the window on the side of my desk in the B room. I think the reason it might be frowned upon is some cases is due to some early reflections from the window side, and as well as creating a somewhat unsymmetrical listering environment. But I think there are ways around some of the problems and it legistically worked bettter for my smaller room. Also I agree with you, it is probably much easier for the talent (especially younger talent) to focus on their performance without having the engineer's ugly mug staring directly at them and wincing everytime there is a bad note. At some sessions I remeber leavling the control room, or at least line of sight when a singer was tracking.

Keep em coming and thanks again.

Shaun
Old 23rd January 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by cedarstudios
Actually I am planning to put the window on the side of my desk in the B room. I think the reason it might be frowned upon is some cases is due to some early reflections from the window side, and as well as creating a somewhat unsymmetrical listering environment. But I think there are ways around some of the problems and it legistically worked bettter for my smaller room. Also I agree with you, it is probably much easier for the talent (especially younger talent) to focus on their performance without having the engineer's ugly mug staring directly at them and wincing everytime there is a bad note. At some sessions I remeber leavling the control room, or at least line of sight when a singer was tracking.

Keep em coming and thanks again.

Shaun
I'd be worried about reflections, though I've worked in many control rooms setup with the window on the side with great success. As far as privacy for the artist - in every studio I've ever setup I put up a curtain on the live room side of the glass. Seems pretty stupid to compromise control room acoustics when a $40 curtain could solve the talent's privacy issues.
Old 23rd January 2006
Gear Nut

Rob,
Thanks for the input. I am not putting the window to the side solely for artist privacy and at the expense of room acoustics. Space and shapewise it just will work better for the specific situation and room (I actually am not even putting in a window at all but rather a couple sliding glass doors on the side). I do like your idea of putting a curtian on the window. A great, simple, inexpensive solution which I didn't think of. Exactly the kind of thing I was looking for. I think I will employ something like that in the main room where the window faces head on.
Cheers,
Shaun
Old 23rd January 2006
Gear Maniac

As a guitarist, I like to see a nice monitoring system like Aviom's, a nice guitar tuner like a Peterson, some stools with backs and a listenback system so I don't have to ask the drummer to relay my messages to the engineer.

For our commercial studio, we were getting an 8 camera computer security system and we were going to allow password protected live feeds of the studio so the band's friends could watch online. (Never did it though).
Old 23rd January 2006
One with big hooves

Quote:
Originally Posted by robmix
I'd be worried about reflections, though I've worked in many control rooms setup with the window on the side with great success. As far as privacy for the artist - in every studio I've ever setup I put up a curtain on the live room side of the glass. Seems pretty stupid to compromise control room acoustics when a $40 curtain could solve the talent's privacy issues.
I've seen the curtain on the talent side bit too and that works. But I also dig having a curtain on the inside the cover the glass if it's warrented. Some rooms are better then others...not sure if it's luck or just down the skill & execution of the designers & builders.
Old 23rd January 2006
One with big hooves

Oh yeah...creative ideas...

Have a lounge or someplace outside the control room for people to hang out. I'd rather have no lounge then some cramped out space.

Pick a great set of colors & spend some time vibing the spaces out. Make it a place that you'd want to hang out in for long periods of time because you will be there for long periods of time! Even little stuff like painting the moldings a different color then the rest of the wall is a little touch that goes a long way...but I've got x-mas lights, multi-colored acoustic panels, lava lamps, inspirational pictures & signs, tapestires & all sorts of other stuff in my space. It's a good place to spend a bunch of time which is good...'cause I seem to spend a lot of time in the mix room.

Go figure.

Don't overlook what the studio looks like. If the immediate color scheme that comes to mind is "doctors office" then you probably picked the wrong colors!
Old 24th January 2006
Gear Nut

Cool. Thanks Guys!

Any other suggestions?

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search