The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Studio Console to replace SCA pres?? Consoles
Old 24th December 2010
Deleted User
Studio Console to replace SCA pres??

Hey there- I need help deciding what to do... I really need a larger mixing console (currently using a 12/4/2 Tascam from the 80's)...

And I was thinking about just selling my Seventh Circle Audio Pres (I have 2 A12s and 4 N72s) to fund the purchase of a board that can serve as both preamp strips and tape monitor.

My setup is 8 track analog but I think I may go 16 pretty soon. I like old looking stuff with meter bridges, but I feel like that bias might be getting in my way.

I've thought about boards like the Soundtracs Topaz and the Soundcraft Ghost... But I don't know how the pre's on those, especially the topaz (24-8 or 32-8 miami vice) compare to the Seventh Circle Pre's.

If I sell my 6 channel SCA box for what they'd normally go for, around 2250 or 2500$$, Could I really get a console of the 24 or 32 channel size that actually lives up to the quality (pre's-wise) of the SCA's?????

Any suggestions would be great. My budget is, as I said in the last paragraph, whatever I can get for the 6 SCA lunchbox.
Old 24th December 2010
Lives for gear

Can you get $2400 worth of 24 channels of pre, eq, and summing that lives up to $2400 worth of 6 preamps?

Basically no. Unless you find someone desperate to get rid of something from the 80s that will be a maintenance nightmare. Even then you'll need to double your budget before you get into anything usable.

s
Old 24th December 2010
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottwilson View Post
Can you get $2400 worth of 24 channels of pre, eq, and summing that lives up to $2400 worth of 6 preamps?

Basically no. Unless you find someone desperate to get rid of something from the 80s that will be a maintenance nightmare. Even then you'll need to double your budget before you get into anything usable.

s

Very true. Those SCA are a terrific bargain. Middle of the road boards are selling for peanuts these days but they're just that: middle of the road. They might sound fine but they won't hold a candle to the quality of what you already have.
Old 25th December 2010
Deleted User
Thanks for the responses. You're right.
Old 25th December 2010
Gear Addict

You should check out the ZED R16 by Allen and Heath... While it will probably be a sacrifice in preamp quality you'll gain 16 pretty nice eq's and 16 decent preamps. The way I see it is if it significantly improves your work flow and overall mixes it might be worth trading off the higher quality pres.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search