The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Best Buy Building Recording Studio DAW Software
Old 24th December 2010
Gear Addict

Best Buy Building Recording Studio

I've just heard news from a friend about Best Buy building studios in their testing locations. My friend talked to the manager in his local Best Buy and told him this. They are going to charge $30 an hour and you can use any gear on the floor that you would like. I wanna know my fellow slutz opinions about this!

Personally I think it's just gonna be an automatic fail... Who is really gonna be engineering?
Old 24th December 2010
Lives for gear

Epic fail.

They would be better off opening up one of those "record your own voice" kiosks.
Old 24th December 2010
Lives for gear

Be even awesomer if they let you sing in front of a green screen with a groovy backround on the tele
Old 24th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Vogel View Post
Be even awesomer if they let you sing in front of a green screen with a groovy backround on the tele
That had me lol'ing hard!
Old 24th December 2010
Gear Nut

Wait, what "gear" on the floor? All I've ever seen at BB is a pink acoustic and a Strat copy. I think they sell drumsticks too (for Rock Band,) so I guess they could record you banging on the toaster ovens.
Old 24th December 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by JakeKalka View Post
I've just heard news from a friend about Best Buy building studios in their testing locations. My friend talked to the manager in his local Best Buy and told him this. They are going to charge $30 an hour and you can use any gear on the floor that you would like. I wanna know my fellow slutz opinions about this!

Personally I think it's just gonna be an automatic fail... Who is really gonna be engineering?
All those commercial rec school grads with $100K student loans to pay off?

Quote:
That would be the awesomest.

I want a chorus of fellow shoppers swaying, arm in arm, in the background as they sing along...
Old 24th December 2010
member no 666

Wait for it - they're going to give Guitar Center a good run for the "low dollar" audio market... though I'm sure you'll be able to find Focusrite, UA, and some other GS favorites.

This has been reported to be in the works for quite a while now -- and more than a few "industry professionals" I know have been contacted.

Things could get interesting [and lawd knows -- the "consumer" will (of course) benefit greatly!!!].

Peace.
Old 24th December 2010
Rotsa, meet ruck.
Old 24th December 2010
Lives for gear

So for $30 you have to record yourself...or is an engineer involved? Either way I forsee some no-so-great recordings coming from BB. It would be nice to help employ some downtrodden engineers put out by the recent changes in the industry...but what I really see happening is some geek squad employees getting "promoted" to run the audio gear...ugh
Old 24th December 2010
Lives for gear

I can't wait to see the "studio rules" and contracts.
Old 24th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
OMG, I'm laughing so hard it hurts.. it hurts!!!
Old 24th December 2010
PDC
Lives for gear

We have come full circle...recording where we shop. Remember those little booths at the mall where you could sing to racks and walk with a cassette copy?
Old 24th December 2010
Lives for gear

down here in texas, there are several Best Buys with a "pro" audio section. they had maybe 40 or 50 guitars on the wall, an acoustic room with 20+ items, a small drum room, amp room, a dozen synths, PA gear, interfaces, some rows of accessories, too. lots of little drum bits. like a mini guitar center....
i think the room rental is to really try out the gear, and play with toys, before you buy them. they had a surprisingly efficient selection, and decent prices on the higher end stuff
Old 25th December 2010
Gear Addict

I see a new thread or....

even a new competition.

Instead of the Grammies ---- how about the "BuyMe's"?

Awards could include:

Best recording made in a BB Studio with a salesman drumming
Best mix on a less than $500 home theatre system (other categories -- mixes on a cheap iPod dock or bluetooth headset).

Maybe Fletcher could design the award -- kind of like his Mackie on a Stick?

The more people making and recording music the better. And the more creativity and fun wherever and whatever, the better.

As an aside: maybe struggling Sears could think about reissuing their Silvertone line. That would be something! Always wanted to own a reliable, cheap reissue of the Silvertone amp in the guitar case.
Old 25th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletcher View Post
...Things could get interesting [and lawd knows -- the "consumer" will (of course) benefit greatly!!!].....
Especially since many consumers of recording studio services can't tell the difference between a good recording and a bad one.
Old 25th December 2010
Lives for gear

When I have the time, I check out the mac table and look to see if somebody sneaked something onto GarageBand. I'd do it myself, but my Musical Typing sucks.
Old 25th December 2010
Lives for gear

Best Buy opened a pro audio music section in their store in this little college town. Didn't help the local music stores. I like it. Reminds me of guitar center. Maybe shopping mall recording studio chains are next soon tho come.
Old 25th December 2010
Lives for gear
I went into my local best buy and they had a small audio part with krks, mboxes, avid midi keyboards, cables, dj equipment. It's all meant to be sold in a package if they can sell you on it a piece at a time. The little m-audio boxes are like 100 bucks, monitors are around $300 and they are putting high end studio monitor headphones in the section. I kept seeing avid stuff in at least 3 sections, but mostly it was avid more than anything. Doesn't bother me one bit. I think it's nice for some 10 year old kid to get a taste and have fun. I am surprised though how many people clueless think the quality comes from the daw like protools and not from anything else. The only thing I hate about these things is giving home studios a bad name...I deal with that all the time and have to explain myself, my gear and how long I've been doing it compared to the guy who promised them gold and gave them a turd last time.
Old 25th December 2010
Lives for gear

Ummm.... Would the recording studio hours be normal shopping hours?
Old 25th December 2010
PDC
Lives for gear

We get all kinds of people in our shop, just pissed off because they do not sound like a CD. Well DUH! With so many people willing to make a buck and get that quick sale, the customer is really abused IMO. They are set up to fail.

My fav is when customers doing well to spend $200 say that they record on Nuendo, have Waves bundles, etc. These crack pipe smokers (literally) think that they can just HAVE the stuff and HAVING it yields the result. Far from it.

I don't get off on ruining their day, telling them that the problems they have are cracked software, insufficient gear and no-talent related. But I have to educate them. If you want to sound like Usher, you need to hire who Usher hires, be Usher, and record where Usher records. The likelihood of just two of the three occurring is still not good enough. When I tell them how much Usher's signal chain costs, they look at my like I am speaking Chinese. They thought all they needed was ProTools or Nuendo from Limewire, and a flashy MXL mic. They call us because Musician's Friend where they bought their crap is closed and the guys at Guitar Center do not know anything. Yet, they want phone support for what they bought/stole elsewhere and do not want to pay. Screw that.

The positive about Best Buy is that they do offer help in the stores. Whether MI help will be GOOD help has yet to be seen. If it is not, I see Guitar Center making less money, selling even cheaper crap, and more people coming our way for help. Thanks a bunch.
Old 25th December 2010
Anybody who wants to sound like Usher should work in a movie theater for a while.
Old 25th December 2010
Lives for gear
I guess that annoying teenager with acne will record someones band, pretend to know what he's doing and sell you a xbox. Great!

Haha awesome Joel ^
Old 25th December 2010
Lives for gear

I predict Wal-Mart will be next. With a greeter there as you walk through the control room door.
L.
Old 25th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by joelpatterson View Post
Anybody who wants to sound like Usher should work in a movie theater for a while.
And learn how to use a flashlight.
Old 25th December 2010
Gear Guru

Where do I pick up an application?
Old 25th December 2010
Gear Maniac

I'm sure they will use Avid PRO tools and it will be very PROfessional. After all, it's in the name. . . What more do you need?
Old 25th December 2010
Gear Addict

Obviously it's just to move boxes--a loss leader--a very expensive loss leader. It'll never turn a profit at $30 an hour.
Old 25th December 2010
Lives for gear
It could be a revolution!

Live from Abbey Road...
Live from AOL...
LIVE FROM BEST BUY!

haha...
Old 25th December 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Spark View Post
Ummm.... Would the recording studio hours be normal shopping hours?
Their store in NYC is open 24 hours. They used to have more in LA open 24 hours too.

Rail
Old 25th December 2010
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by PlatinumSamples View Post
Their store in NYC is open 24 hours. They used to have more in LA open 24 hours too.

Rail
Might need to keep the levels down a bit then tutt

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search