The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
blue robbie users... Condenser Microphones
Old 24th December 2010
Gear Maniac

blue robbie users...

Guys-

Where is your robbies gain at to get good levels to tape? I got mine yesterday and slapped up a 4050 just to test it, and I had to crank the thing almost all the way up to get a good level happening. It is going straight in to an m audio delta 1010 with the input set to + 4. Defective pre perhaps? It sounded fine, I just figured by about one o clock or so on the dial, i'd be right where I wanted to be gain wise....
Old 24th December 2010
Lives for gear

Phantom Power IS on, right?
Old 24th December 2010
Gear Maniac

Yes of course phantom power is on. I messed with it a little more this morning, and by changing the input sensitivity of the delta to -10, I got much more practical levels gain staging wise. But I don't think I should have to do that.
Old 24th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdig View Post
Yes of course phantom power is on. I messed with it a little more this morning, and by changing the input sensitivity of the delta to -10, I got much more practical levels gain staging wise. But I don't think I should have to do that.
I assumed so, but you never know which is why I asked---no offense :-) Correct, you should not have to crank it all the way up to get a decent gain--something's not right. Make sure no pads are engaged, try different cables, if still no-go---I'd suspect the Robbie has a problem. Just to be sure, try another condenser microphone with it.
Old 24th December 2010
Lives for gear

Yeah something is wrong because when I use to use it with a Blue Kiwi, I barely had to turn it up past the 4th dot to get a very nice signal, that was hitting right below -6, I just got my Manley Ref C yesterday so I will try it wit it today, and if I experience the same problem I will let you know.
Old 24th December 2010
Lives for gear

Some of the earlier Blue Robbie's had a defective gain pot. Mine is like that. When you turn it up to around 8, the gain jumps by 10db. It still sounds good though.
Old 24th December 2010
Gear Addict
With my Robbie I can't go past 3 or so dots without clipping/distortion on my blueberry. With a dynamic I still dont go past like 12 o clock or so.
Old 25th December 2010
Gear Maniac

That's what I figured. Thanks for your input everyone. Merry christmas!
Old 26th December 2010
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by madehumble View Post
I just got my Manley Ref C yesterday
Sounds like a great xmas present I'm getting my Ref C soon too, but it's still stuck in the mail office due to the snow blizzards all over Europe (it's not a problem up north here in Finland but the mid-european area is not used to the kind of weather transportation-wise in any way). One of the best xmas gifts for myself ever!
Old 28th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoleFIN View Post
Sounds like a great xmas present I'm getting my Ref C soon too, but it's still stuck in the mail office due to the snow blizzards all over Europe (it's not a problem up north here in Finland but the mid-european area is not used to the kind of weather transportation-wise in any way). One of the best xmas gifts for myself ever!

Be ready to be wowed, trust me.
Old 28th December 2010
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by BradLyons View Post
Phantom Power IS on, right?
If it wasn't how would you hear any signal, low or otherwise?
Old 28th December 2010
Deleted #157546
Same with my robbie. Turn it up to about 70-80 percent to get the correct gain. If I want to place a room mic it kicks in a second gain stage...or at least as it seems.

I don't have any complaints about the pre and it sounds good.
Old 29th December 2010
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by madehumble View Post
Be ready to be wowed, trust me.
Already recorded a couple songs with my friend's Ref C, so yeah I was and still am WOWED. Didn't take long to realize I just had to get an own one - And my wife even insisted me to buy a Manley! But I think she just got fed up with me browsing pro audio webstores all days long. ;>

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search