The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Average Condensor Microphone. Help me create transparent sounding vocals? Virtual Instrument Plugins
Old 24th December 2010
Gear Head

Average Condensor Microphone. Help me create transparent sounding vocals?

I have an average condensor microphone I got from a mbox bundle I started out with back a couple years ago :D

And I haven't spent the money on a new microphone...foolish I know, but I always spend the money on gadgets, gadgets & more gadgets, namely I just picked up Komplete 7 & NI Maschine not to long ago.

I'm using Logic...I have Melodyne DNA 1.1 for editing vocals, and I was wondering how I can get the vocals to come out more in the mix with my mic I have now and no fancy 3rd Party Plugs?

I'm mostly looking to use Logic Stock Plugs.

Any advice for making the vocals come out in the mix more, and sound more transparent? I'm trying to achieve a Mos Def Black on Both Side's kind of vocal sound, if you guys get the reference.

If not;
YouTube - Mos Def - Hip Hop
Old 24th December 2010
Lives for gear

Sounds like you need to learn mics...do some reading, check out a bunch...it just takes time.

There's no real good, middle of the road, or bad mics (ok, ok...there are some "bad" mics). Some can be used for lots of things, some only a few things, yada yadda.

There are times when a $100 SM57 will sound better on a source than a $1000 AKG 414

Just like an arranger will use a certain instrument to convey a sonic texture, the engineer will pick a certain mic to "color" the sonic texture.

Do get intimidated thinking you'll need 20 mics to record with...hell, I only own 3...but finding what works for you involves trying several out, and learning what you need to accomplish your own recording style.
Old 24th December 2010
Lives for gear

Get to know your mic. Nobody can do that for you. Getting decent vocals that sit well in a mix starts with mic technique.

Try different mouth to mic distances (and be consistent with distance through the song),
flip all of its switches to see what they do,
try a little compression on the way in and/or out,
use hi-pass at about 100 or 150 to see if lows are muddying things,
turn the mic a bit,
sing directly at the capsule,
sing off axis,
try boosting at 3K; 4K; 10K,
avoid over-processing, and...
always use a pop filter.

Spend some time with it, and keep copious notes because every different situation may require a special bit of knowledge you picked up along the journey. Also, if it's you singing, put out the best tone you can, with proper technique. Breath. Relax. Sing consistently volume. There's no magic button, gear or plug in. 80-90% is what goes into the capsule.

Hope this offers a start point...
Old 25th December 2010
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by CeeAsh View Post
I'm trying to achieve a Mos Def Black on Both Side's kind of vocal sound, if you guys get the reference.

I def get the reference.

My question is, can you throw it down like Mos Def? That much attitude, authority, energy, conviction, and clarity?

Then there's the music. Is yours as sweet, warm, groovin'?

If you nail those things, you stand a chance of getting what you want. Until you do, the gear is irrelevant, because I promise you what you're after is not a sound, it's a vibe.

Shift your attention to the vibe.

For whatever it's worth, if I had an artist who sounded like Mos Def and wanted the sound of Hip Hop, I'd reach for an re20, track it with something Neve-ish, and slam it with two or three comps in series.

But really... get the vibe first.

Gregory Scott - ubk

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search