The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
SDC for Vocals? Condenser Microphones
Old 25th December 2010
(Psssst! Ummmm... don't know how to break this to everyone... pretty much you can make any mic work for pretty much anything, with obvious exceptions at the extremes.)
Old 25th December 2010
Gear Maniac

Tried a 184 on my voice a couple of weeks ago. Didn't like it and switched back to U87. It sounded a bit blured in the context of the mix in comparison. I positioned it regularly toward my mouth though.
Old 25th December 2010
Motown legend

184s are notorious for RFI sensitivity. Different mike pres, especially xfmr vs. xfmr-less, can give very different results.
Old 25th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by rashman View Post
Tried a 184 on my voice a couple of weeks ago. Didn't like it and switched back to U87. It sounded a bit blured in the context of the mix in comparison. I positioned it regularly toward my mouth though.
Try it up and away about a foot maybe two. You might have been bottoming out the diaphragm.
Old 25th December 2010
Gear Guru

SDC for Vocals?

Yes, I used an MKH 40 with a Neumann popperstopper for female vocals several years ago.

Worked perfectly.

She had a beautiful voice and the mic. let her shine without colouring the vocal at all.

Posted via the Gearslutz iPhone app
Old 26th December 2010
Gear Addict

SDC for Vocals?

Quote:
Originally Posted by warhead
A KM84 or Oktava MK-012 can work very well, actually.

War
X2
184's all the time.
Old 26th December 2010
Lives for gear

MK-012 (w/Joly PE mod) omni cap amp'd by an EH 12AY7 pre
Old 26th December 2010
Lives for gear

not bitching but i started a thread about this a couple days ago and hardly anyone responded. i believe it's a page back now
Old 26th December 2010
Lives for gear

mc012 has worked great on my voice in the past. that was years ago. wish i still had one...
Old 26th December 2010
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by malaclypse View Post
mc012 has worked great on my voice in the past. that was years ago. wish i still had one...

Well, if you wish hard enough, someday you might just get your voice back!

Gregory Scott - ubk
Old 26th December 2010
Gear Addict

Sometimes i like to use a SDC for extreme rock vocals combined with an extended freq dynamic like a SM7 or a RE20....it's seems usefull to be able to add the high end sparkle and the fast transients that dynamics lack.

Of course it takes some carefull positioning to have the proper results due to phase issues and the inabillity of a SDC to handle direct high air pressure hits like explosive verbs....

Also i sometimes tried a 451 or a mk012 on more acoustic vocal stuff and allthough i really liked the detail on the top and higher mid it seemed to lack all the low mid pressence and thickness brought by LDC with nice proximity effect.....i think the proximity effect on SDC cardiods certainly doesn't fit the human voice and the way air moves out of the mouth....

And that's exactly the main reason SDC's are not a common choise for vocals...due to the small area of the diaphragm it's easier for to move it, translating to faster and accurate response to even the smallest transients but on the other hand easilly distorted and overdriven (due to extreme moving of the diaphragm) when hit by explossive air waves like the ones the human voice can produce from time to time heh

On the other hand LDC's with their large diaphragm area are more hard to move and seem to rounden the edges of the human voice (well in singing at least) resulting a more pleasing and euphonic result most of the times.

As always it's the goal and the way to achieve (and of course the end result) it that will define if one or another is the proper tool for the case...
Old 26th December 2010
Lives for gear

I've used a KM-145 many times on vocals and it sounds a tad thin (because of the lf rolloff on the km45 capsule) but really good...
Old 26th December 2010
Gear Maniac

SDC for Vocals?

I had success using a Schoeps cmc6 sdc. It is a really flat mic and gives you a more natural sound which can then be taken somewhere else with eq if required. That song was unique in that we used the schoeps for the verse and a vintage u87 for the chorus to create a big contrast.

Best.
Old 26th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by u b k View Post
Well, if you wish hard enough, someday you might just get your voice back!

Gregory Scott - ubk
LOL. i just knew someone would go there!
Old 16th February 2013
Gear Maniac

My KM184 is my first choice for any vocals. Of course, I usually point the mic at the singer's forehead from 2 - 3 feet away, as well as using Auralex expander pads to control the room reflections into the mic and a pop filter. I feel like it is an extremely balanced sound with lots of detail. I've never felt like the top end was harsh or hyped.
Old 16th February 2013
Gear Addict

if i used an SDC on vocals in a circumstance when i'd normally be reaching for an LDC, the first thing i'd look for is a v72 type pre, if available.

certain vocals IMHO call for an SDC, esp. acoustic guitar accompanied female vocals that aren't head voice or soprano. sorry to be overly specific? but that's my 2 cents or however that goes...
Old 16th February 2013
Lives for gear

KM86 fan here.
Old 16th February 2013
Gear Maniac

I like using SDC sometimes.
Very different approach than using LDC (distance/angle), but when it work it's great.
KM140, KM86 or Seinheiser MKH40 used here.

Salvator

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search