The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
How to do a "proper" mic pre shootout? Microphone Accessories
Old 25th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Whigham View Post
I have two pres and want to keep just one if possible. My plan is to track electric guitar (mic'ed), and acoustic guitar (mic'ed) through six tracks (one per take, per pre).

I'm thinking something like this is the best idea:

This particular one is the one here: Hosa YXM121 Y-Cable XLR female to two XLR male, 6" | Full Compass

Is this a good way? This is for me to make a decision on keeping/selling a chandler LTD-1 so it's a big deal to me
I'm not trying to be sarcastic here but I think that you are overthinking the process.

If you use two preamps on the same source - two takes and different humidity, pick attack, main power fluctuations aside - you WILL be able to make a decision! I use 4 different types/brands of preamps at the moment and the differences are very obvious. I'm not saying that I couldn't live with just one type of preamp but hearing/experiencing the difference between say a Chandler LTD-1 and a TG-2 is very easy and obvious. You don't need to nit-pick for that.

So my advice is to go with your gut-level impression and please PM if you're selling that LTD-1 for a good price!
Old 25th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARIEL View Post
Cool - had not seen that one. I think I'll pass on it though - I need 48v phantom power for condensers (recording acoustic guitar) and it just doesn't work with 48v. Good for dynamics and ribbons though!
Old 25th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by doorknocker View Post
...hearing/experiencing the difference between say a Chandler LTD-1 and a TG-2 is very easy and obvious...
No doubt - I've owned both and completely agree. However, I'm trying to compare two pres that are wayyyyyyyyyyyyy more similar than those two: the LTD-1 and the Aurora GTQ2. I did some quick takes yesterday and couldn't tell the difference. Wasn't really paying that much attention though - it was the first time to fire up the GTQ2 and just wanted to make sure it worked.
Old 25th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
No doubt - I've owned both and completely agree. However, I'm trying to compare two pres that are wayyyyyyyyyyyyy more similar than those two: the LTD-1 and the Aurora GTQ2. I did some quick takes yesterday and couldn't tell the difference. Wasn't really paying that much attention though - it was the first time to fire up the GTQ2 and just wanted to make sure it worked.
Sorry, I see your point now!

I have no experience with the Aurora but the LTD-1 is my fave on acoustic guitar and on most vocals. My impression though is that the LTD-1 is a tad more 'hifi' than real vintage 1073s so maybe it's a matter whether the Aurora is more 'authentic' (if you're going for that flavour)

Anyway, I plan to add another LTD-1 to my rig soon.
Old 25th December 2010
Lives for gear
Ummmmmmm, its hard for an acoustic guitar, my suggestion would be to do it with a mate. Set up the mic and both pre's (obviously if you're using phantom power, turn it off and wait like 30-60 seconds before unplugging the condenser...)

If get you or your mate to sit in front of the microphone with the acoustic guitar, play some stuff while you have it in one pre. The other guy is just the guy who turns the phantom power off, and swaps the pre's.

Adjust the levels to match in the DAW, and make a decision. There will obviously be a slight difference from track to track...maybe track to a click track or a drum track?

If i were doing it with electric guitar, i would just use my creation audio labs MW1 studio tool....very transparent DI and "real"-amping tool...(to save on copyright issues haha). Just send it out into the amp for each take...

Either way, once you've got the levels of both set pretty identical in the DAW...go have a coffee, maybe a biscuit...maybe even a sandwich if you feel daring...THEN come back to it and run them through your monitors and see if you notice a difference. If you don't really notice a difference after a few plays, there probably isn't one...at least one you're gonna actually hear (depending on how tuned your ear is to the subtleness).
Old 25th December 2010
Quote:
But wouldn't using a splitter like the Box that radial makes be a good option ?, The whole point is too hear the difference between 2 or 3 pre-amps all from the same source . By splitting it 3 ways you will be able to exactly how each preamp colors the sound. I did a test with 3 mics , each in a different preamp and I heard differences but when I used my radial splitter box , 1 mic into , I found the differences to be not as big - The problem was trying to get 3 mics perfectly on 1 source altered the sound more than the splitter . My tests were done on drums , snare , kik tom etc . I found that to be the best test for me to hear preamp colors.I also did a test with the direct out with 2 additional splits all into the same preamp - Millenia HV-3D and I found it to be very transparent. All 3 channels sounded identical in playback . I wanted to see if the 2 additional splits had tier sound altered . This is what I used Radial Engineering - JS-2 Jensen transformer equipped mic splitter .
You will be hearing a combination of the preamp's color and the Jensen transformer's color. 'Could easily skew the results.

Old 25th December 2010
Quote:
Again, if they're so similar that you can hardly tell them apart, then your choice is easy; just sell the one that you can get the most $ for and buy yourself a Christmas present!

Old 28th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Cool - had not seen that one. I think I'll pass on it though - I need 48v phantom power for condensers (recording acoustic guitar) and it just doesn't work with 48v. Good for dynamics and ribbons though!
This is from the Radial site , looks like it will work with Condensers
Q: Will 48V phantom power hurt the JS•2?

A: No. Phantom power will simply not pass through the transformer outputs even if the ground has been lifted. Note that the main output bypasses the transformer to allow phantom power to supply the microphone or active direct box.
Old 28th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trakworx View Post
You will be hearing a combination of the preamp's color and the Jensen transformer's color. 'Could easily skew the results.

I did do some tests with comparing the Direct out vs the 2 transformer outs - They all sounded the same to me . I was doing the test with a Kick drum and snare drum . There was more of a variation in tone when I placed 2 mics instead of the splitter .I snet all three outputs to my Millenia and as it is stepped for gain it was very easy to level match . The only difference was the two ISO outs were .2 db quieter . When I level matched in the comp it was all good
Old 28th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:

Q: Will 48V phantom power hurt the JS•2?

A: No. Phantom power will simply not pass through the transformer outputs even if the ground has been lifted. Note that the main output bypasses the transformer to allow phantom power to supply the microphone or active direct box.
Well then, no condensers need apply.
Old 29th December 2010
Gear Guru

or you could use a separate phantom supply. wow this is getting complicated
Old 29th December 2010
Lives for gear

heh - no doubt! I don't think I knew you could buy separate phantom power supplies. Makes sense. Got a link to any? I could actually use that!
Old 29th December 2010
Gear Guru

here's a cheap one

Buy Nady SMPS-1X Phantom Power Supply | Microphone Accessories | Musician's Friend

here's a nice brand name one, I have the 2 to 1 mic mixer from this series, from cgares tip

Audio-Technica AT-8801 | Sweetwater.com

here's a two channel one

ART Phantom II Pro | Sweetwater.com
Old 30th December 2010
Lives for gear

Awesome - thank you
Old 30th December 2010
Lives for gear

Just fool around with the preamps. Do a little vocal tracking, guitars etc. You'll find out which one is most to your liking. This is the way you use a preamp in a real life session. So that should do the trick.
Old 2nd January 2011
Gear Guru

right on you just reminded me

when I'm trying to get an overview of how a new preamp performs, I'll often track a full mix of guitar, bass, drums or percussion of some sort, and vocals one at a time, then listen back to the final mix to get sort of an all around idea of how the thing sounds. this method works pretty well for me, might be worth a shot

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search