The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Micing for Metal Guitar - Suggestions? Dynamic Microphones
Old 3rd January 2011
Gear Addict

For modern metal I would say yes, for more old school metal it's not absolutely necessary.
Just ask Andy Sneap, Colin Ricardson, Fredrik Nordström, pretty much anyone who works with modern metal bands is using a tubescreamer in front of the amp to tighten the low end. The vast majority of modern metal bands are using tubecreamers in front of the amp in their touring rigs too.

For a select few amps that are already incredibly tight on their own (some Engl's for example) you can get away without it, but generally if you're chasing the tight tone that bands like Killswitch Engage, In Flames, Bring Me The Horizon, Machine Head, Slipknot, Arch Enemy etc have then you're going to need a tubescreamer in front of the amp (though an eq pedal can be used to cut the lows and get a similar effect)

And calling it a bunch of gibberish just because you disagree with one point is a bit rude no? Please grow up.
Old 3rd January 2011
Lives for gear

The thing with posts like #61 is that - while basically helpful and not per se inaccurate - they give the impression that there is only one path to achieve a certain goal.

OTOH, there are plenty of people out there waiting to be served the perfect recipe and not wanting to develop their own. And if they fail to get the desired results they will blame the "misinformation", rather than their own attitude.

So, it takes all kinds, I guess...
Old 3rd January 2011
Gear Addict

I'm not saying that it's the only way to record heavy guitars.
Hell I'm not even saying it's the best way.
But is is ONE way to do it and I've had good results from it, so I thought it would be helpful. It's certainly going to be a step up from using a solid state crate amp and putting it through a compressor that it probably doesn't even need.

By all means share your experiences guys. How do you approach recording heavy guitars?
Old 3rd January 2011
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by trevoire520 View Post
For modern metal I would say yes, for more old school metal it's not absolutely necessary.
Just ask Andy Sneap, Colin Ricardson, Fredrik Nordström, pretty much anyone who works with modern metal bands is using a tubescreamer in front of the amp to tighten the low end. The vast majority of modern metal bands are using tubecreamers in front of the amp in their touring rigs too.

For a select few amps that are already incredibly tight on their own (some Engl's for example) you can get away without it, but generally if you're chasing the tight tone that bands like Killswitch Engage, In Flames, Bring Me The Horizon, Machine Head, Slipknot, Arch Enemy etc have then you're going to need a tubescreamer in front of the amp (though an eq pedal can be used to cut the lows and get a similar effect)

And calling it a bunch of gibberish just because you disagree with one point is a bit rude no? Please grow up.

Hehe my band toured with Bring Me The Horizon back in 07. Good dudes, kinda weird to see them being referred to as a staple in metal tone..

I gotta agree with you on a few things though, fresh strings and V30's are a huge help as far as a good tone goes. A tube screamer though while can add a little richness to a tone will also add some saturation, something I'm not a fan of... We toured with a few bands that used that little trick.. The TS9 level on 10, tone smack in the middle and drive on 0 or 1. It helps for certain thin sounding amps.. (krank, 5150, blah) but I never liked it (Granted at the time I was using a Sunn Model T and Fulldrive with a Les Paul). If you want some serious sounding overdrive though get a lm308 series Rat. Just make sure you can contain the feedback, it will hurt.
Old 3rd January 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
(...)By all means share your experiences guys. How do you approach recording heavy guitars?
One thing I always do is work on the source until both the player and myself are happy.
That includes having a shizzload of pedals, amps and speakers ready, including the player's.
I always tell them "bring everything you can get your hands on, you never know".

Now, further down the stream, on the last session I did, I paired a R121 with a UM70S on the same speaker.
IIRC pres were either APIs and/or GRs.
Both channels got bussed through a Distressor followed by a Chandler Tone Control. Double-tracked.

Actually, with each new session, I make a point of trying new combinations of the gear available.
Amazingly, the guitarists I've worked with weren't as anal about their heavy sound as I would've expected and usually were all for it.
OTOH, some of them made me spend HOURS on clean sounds.
Old 3rd January 2011
Gear Addict

UM70 huh? I've got one of those in the studio and never tried it on a cab. Gonna have to give that a go next time I'm recording guitars.
Old 3rd January 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
UM70 huh? I've got one of those in the studio and never tried it on a cab. Gonna have to give that a go next time I'm recording guitars.
Picked up the idea here. (Well, actually from someone raving about it on GS.)
I like it a lot for highgain/V30 sounds.
For Tool-type stuff, I'll add another pair of tracks with less gain and more chime, like a Marshall through G12-65s, mic'd with a 421 or SM7.

Goes back a bit to what I wrote earlier: there's soo much variety in the "heavy" genre, it's hard to give hard-and-fast recipes.
I mean: I can list what I've done, but I can't tell what I'll do next, much less tell someone else what they should do.

At best, I can try to convey an approach, an attitude.
Old 8th January 2011
Gear Head

Quote:
I'm not saying that it's the only way to record heavy guitars.
Hell I'm not even saying it's the best way.
But is is ONE way to do it and I've had good results from it, so I thought it would be helpful. It's certainly going to be a step up from using a solid state crate amp and putting it through a compressor that it probably doesn't even need.

By all means share your experiences guys. How do you approach recording heavy guitars?
Your post was very informative. The dB info I asked a while ago finally makes sense now too. I can kind of see the whole picture, and work from there. I'm definitly not going to use the compressor for guitar... everybody can't be wrong lol.

Now, there are lot of things that are in my favor - 15 years playing, most of that time recording with true budget gear ($15 dollar "sony" mic!). But as for guitars used, trust me, there is no problem there.

The type of guitar tone I would like to meet is Shadows Fall, Katatonia, newer Opeth tone, and most definitly Hatesphere (have a listen, they probably have a myspace).

It is tempting to get a tube amp, always has been at the top of my list, but I just can't do it right now. Soon, but not now. I would like to stick with a marshall, and have been looking to get the TSL for a LONG time now..... has anybody got any educated opinions on it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattqualls View Post
I gotta agree with you on a few things though, fresh strings and V30's are a huge help as far as a good tone goes. A tube screamer though while can add a little richness to a tone will also add some saturation, something I'm not a fan of... We toured with a few bands that used that little trick.. The TS9 level on 10, tone smack in the middle and drive on 0 or 1. It helps for certain thin sounding amps.. (krank, 5150, blah) but I never liked it (Granted at the time I was using a Sunn Model T and Fulldrive with a Les Paul). If you want some serious sounding overdrive though get a lm308 series Rat. Just make sure you can contain the feedback, it will hurt.
That cool to hear, i'm currently building a tubescreamer and a rat pedal to emulate the vintage models. Looking foreward to getting the rest of the peices to complete them. Ive been a fan of the rat since reading that Trey Azagthoth (Morbid Angel) uses it, and their 90's tone was so evil and clean sounding at the same time, check out the Covenant album from 1993. The eventide harmonizers he uses are out of my league on the other hand.
Old 13th January 2011
Gear Head

Got myself a marshall tsl coming. It was obviously needed!
Old 10th February 2011
Here for the gear

All,

Just wanted to thank you all for this thread... seriously, I laughed out loud a couple of times reading the different posts here.

There is indeed a lot of good information in this thread, and there is also a lot of good entertainment.

Thanks again.

~b

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search