The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
korg kaoss pad 1
Old 24th December 2010
korg kaoss pad 1

anybody still using this bad boy?

does it buzz like a beehive?

mine does. I just modded out the in's and out's to 1/4, and the buzz is still there after my attempts at grounding. i even broke the power supply out and hacked in a ground, nothing.

I don't wanna hardwire it, but I think I'm gonna have to. that buzz just won't go away.

i wanted to jam the power supply into the box, but it just wasn't happening after the 1/4th's got in there. even before they got in there to be honest.
Old 26th December 2010
haven't quite worked all the bugs out yet, but it functions to a point that it's useful. which is a step above what it was before hand.

half the problem with my unit particularly was the power supply it was supplied with. once i changed that out, alot of my noise problems went away. I'm guessing a bad tranny?

one of the rca's has a fourth prong the others do not, like one of those tip disconnect 1/4th's, still figuring that out. it's the right hand side line out rca. and the phono is noticeable noisier then the other inputs.

it appears like the ground connection on the back of mine does nothing for the unit. I've tried and tried but it seems to do nothing for the noise floor like it should. might be more for a turntable to connect to, so that's probably gonna go.

but she's got 1/4th ins and outs, nice and stable.
Attached Thumbnails
korg kaoss pad 1-kp-light.jpg   korg kaoss pad 1-kpdark.jpg  
Old 26th December 2010
Gear Nut

Very nice with the 1/4's. I've got a KP1 and am thinking about doing that too, was it easy getting in there? I have no noise on mine.
Old 26th December 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Tim View Post
Very nice with the 1/4's. I've got a KP1 and am thinking about doing that too, was it easy getting in there? I have no noise on mine.
yea it wasn't hard. the only room it has is up front there though.

what i did was pulled out the line out RCA block first because it's just two RCA's on that block, then i pulled out the line in and phono block because that was 4 RCA's. i took the block of two RCA's from the line outs and put those in the phono spot, then plugged the holes for the line in and out on the case.

after that i just ran the wire's from shield and signal to the 1/4th's and drilled the holes. your gonna need a pair of needle nose pliers to break away some of the plastic mold in the case that gets in the way of the 1/4th's.

***also i figured out the right line out needs a tip disconnect 1/4th. (not sure if they really call them that) if you want to use the kaoss pad as a send return device on a mixer. the RCA on the kaoss was a tip disconnect model, so it's just plug and play with the 1/4th. you'll be able to tell which one it is as it has 4 prongs instead of three going to the pcb
Old 26th December 2010
also test before you drill!
Old 27th December 2010
i edited out the xlr from the post because it will not work.

i already drilled the hole two. d'oh!

the input is in fact a tip, sleeve, disconnect (again not sure the right way to say it.)

the sleeve is connected normally, as is the tip, but pin two is connected to sleeve until the 1/4th is inserted and then it's disconnected from the sleeve. they don't make an xlr that can do that as far as know.

never fear however, you can still use a mic through the line input 1/4th's with an xlr to ts 1/4th.

also if anyone has any ideas on what to do with the mic input let me know. i can't really think of anything but modding it into a mono port.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search